odd folders........!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
I

indrajit

Journeyman
it_waaznt_me said:
Hmm.. Run HijackThis and put a checkmark next to 16 DPF entry and Click on Fix Checked ..

Did it. Didn't work. :(

vysakh said:
try formatting ur HDD

I'v got 'bout 9.5 GB of software images dumped in this drive. If I ever have to go with your suggestion I'll loose the whole back up of softwares! God help me if that happens! :cry:

OP
I

indrajit

Journeyman
@Batty:
This is the latest HijackThis log:

Code:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 7:16:03 PM, on 11/14/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winser.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\mHotkey.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\sdaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\winwd.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VetTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\isafe.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
C:\Program Files\eLitecore\Cyberoam Client for 24Online\CyberoamClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
D:\Utilities\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = *www.rediff.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = 
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {62999427-33FC-4baf-9C9C-BCE6BD127F08} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CHotKey] mHotkey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C41 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C41 Series" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus C41"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SDaemon] C:\WINDOWS\sdaemon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SWd] C:\WINDOWS\winwd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetTray] C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VetTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie2.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{58769E06-2020-4F49-AC41-2A23548D595F}: NameServer = 172.100.10.1

Delpiero

Journeyman
If you are really that annoyed with this problem, give this a try. Copy ur 9.5 GB of S'wares on C or E drive and then format the D:,weird but will work. Check your system for viruses as well.

OP
I

indrajit

Journeyman
gamefreak14 said:
You said that you have enabled NTFS compression on the drive. Disable it, and then run scandisk. Those folders might be remnants of a failed compression, I guess.

Tried this after reading your post. While de compresing it showed an erroe saying "Can't apply settings to ****** folder. Access is denied" (****** = the folders I'm having problem with). Any how, after the decompressing prossess completed, again tried to delete them but got the same error message "Access is denied".

Delpiero said:
If you are really that annoyed with this problem, give this a try. Copy ur 9.5 GB of S'wares on C or E drive and then format the D:,weird but will work. Check your system for viruses as well.

Yes, this idea has crossed my mind. But my E drive has 828 MB free space left and C drive left with 4.32 GB.

Try this one go> *www.handyarchive.com/free/shredder/

Download Advanced File Shredder which is the 3rd in the list and then drag and drop tat folder into it.It shredds folders and files.

OP
I

indrajit

Journeyman
beyondthegracefgod said:
Try this one go> *www.handyarchive.com/free/shredder/

Download Advanced File Shredder which is the 3rd in the list and then drag and drop tat folder into it.It shredds folders and files.

Already tried the shredders provided with TuneUp Utilites and TweakXP Pro V3, but didn't work.
Downloaded and tried a few from the link you gave, but they too mostly work with files, not folders. Didn't work either!

gamefreak14

Journeyman
Well it's not a hardware problem, it's not a virus, it's not a format problem..then what is it? I guess you'll have to borrow a friends HDD, move everything from that partition and format this partition...Gotta see what happens then...are you absolutely sure you've tried out everyones suggestions here? Btw, you are supposed to try out the previous suggestios in safemode only, that's the only time you can modify system settings to the max. Your last respite could be repeating every suggestion in safe mode.

OP
I

indrajit

Journeyman
beyondthegracefgod said:
I tried it.U can drag and drop tha folder in to it and it lists it out there.
Wat happens wen u do tat and click on shred

I couldn't drag the folders. Access denied. Btw,which shredder did you use from the list you gave?

gamefreak14 said:
Well it's not a hardware problem, it's not a virus, it's not a format problem..then what is it? I guess you'll have to borrow a friends HDD, move everything from that partition and format this partition...Gotta see what happens then...are you absolutely sure you've tried out everyones suggestions here? Btw, you are supposed to try out the previous suggestios in safemode only, that's the only time you can modify system settings to the max. Your last respite could be repeating every suggestion in safe mode.

Didn't de-compress in the safe mode. But then again, I had compressed the drive in normal mode only. I think I'v tried all the suggestions in both normal mode as well as safe mode; but even then, I'll give it a try once more. As you can guess, the process will take some time. I'll post the results once I'm done repeating the whole process. And as you said, if this doesn't work then I will have to back up the data and format the drive, whithout having any clue of what happened here! :(

Come on u can drag any folder into a prog it'll say access denied if u try to move it.
Newayz download tis one Advanced File Shredder 1.12
*www.handyarchive.com/Utilities/Security/958-Advanced-File-Shredder.html

Install & Open the prog.Grab ur folders by their neck and drag them in to the open prog.

OP
I

indrajit

Journeyman
beyondthegracefgod said:
Come on u can drag any folder into a prog it'll say access denied if u try to move it.
Newayz download tis one Advanced File Shredder 1.12
*www.handyarchive.com/Utilities/Security/958-Advanced-File-Shredder.html

Install & Open the prog.Grab ur folders by their neck and drag them in to the open prog.

I had used this shredder only! You were right about the dragging process. Initially I had tried to drag the folders from the "select files" box of the shredder itself, which in turn didn't work. This time, I opened the drive itself , dragged the folders and could add them to the shredder's list. On pressint "shread files" button it showed "shredded successfully". But then, when I checked in the drive, they were still there. I tried the proces several times but with the same result.
Now I'm going with what gamefreak14 wrote and repeating all the suggestions received till now in safe mode. I'll post the results once I'm finished. Thanx to all you guyes for your help!

OP
I

indrajit

Journeyman
Hi guyes! I guess this would be the last post of this thread. As gamefreak14 had suggested, I went over with all the suggestions received till now, over again, in the safe mode, but with no results! So, finally, today, I got a friend's hard disk, backed up the data from the concerned partition and formatted it. That literally solved the problem in some what crude manner, i.e. using tha last resorte.
Thanks a lot to all you guyes who took time to help me!

OP
I

indrajit

Journeyman
Matrix_neo said:
Try Scandisk that Drive and then delete them i guess this will do

Buddy, read the thread before posting. Firstly, I think your sggestion has already been given by some one else in this thread, and secondly, read the post just above yours; I said the problem has already been solved! :lol:

hitesh_hg

Journeyman
Can't delete anything in windows from Linux! So that wont help.

Says Who..if its(D drive) not NTFS you can always mount it & delete it...

Anyways i tried the following

same procedure as booting into safe mode, running cmd, killing explorer.exe and then tried the command..
rd /s <folder name>
it gave gave same access denied error but when i rebooted it was gone..

Also sometimes i use chkdsk /X <options> to dismount the drive and when it is finished all the access denied are usually gone..
Hitesh
PS: Use rd /s command carefully.
And each thread is not exclusively for someone who started it but for everyone who might need it in the future...therefore every thread needs to have a proper solution.

Hey wait....
i know what they are, you must have probably used windows update right, when it automatically downloads and installs, it stores these files there, see if the folders contain something like uninstall or install info. they are probably created as backups.... check it out....
---ANIRUDH
---SOPHOMORE
---HYDERABAD

OP
I

indrajit

Journeyman
Guys! Read my previous posts! THIS PROBLEM DOESN'T EXIST ANY MORE! :evil: :D
Admins/mods can lock this thread if they want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom