OCZ Files for Bankruptcy

OCZ has just issued a press release announcing their filing for bankruptcy, which was expected since Nasdaq had halted the trading of OCZ stock earlier today. OCZ has had financial issues for quite a long time and it was just a matter of time before the inevitable happened. While OCZ did try to change its course by reforming their product portfolio when Ryan Petersen, the former CEO of OCZ, stepped down, it seems that the efforts weren't enough to make the business profitable.

What happens to OCZ now depends on the completion of the Toshiba deal. Even if Toshiba completes the purchase of OCZ's assets, I doubt we'll see the OCZ brand anymore.

Source: AnandTech | OCZ Files for Bankruptcy - Toshiba Offers to Buy the Assets

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
The only thing that comes to mind after hearing "OCZ" are Solid State Drives. So this means, SSD's will become less competitive market.
It will tempt Samsung to take advantage. :(

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Toshiba bought OCZ.
OCZ's fall from grace: A timeline of what led to today's events | TweakTown

ssdivisiongermany1933

Still in war with allies
There are lot of players in SSD but costs are still not that much reducing like the price of mechanical drives ... still ssd 500 GB cost almost 6-7 times more than that of mechanical harddrive .

bubusam13

Human
OCZ... whats why I don't purchase from lesser known companies. Some may argue but see proof is here. It's consumer's warranty is lost now. Buy from seagate, kingston. Chances of bankruptcy is very less.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
OCZ... whats why I don't purchase from lesser known companies. Some may argue but see proof is here. It's consumer's warranty is lost now. Buy from seagate, kingston. Chances of bankruptcy is very less.

Buy from Seagate and the chances of your HDD going for RMA is more but buy from WD chances are your HDD never goes to RMA. Kingston is a rather medium end provider which I am using and have no problems what so ever.

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
There are lot of players in SSD but costs are still not that much reducing like the price of mechanical drives ... still ssd 500 GB cost almost 6-7 times more than that of mechanical harddrive .

500 GB HDD costs 3200 and 500 GB SSD costs ~6.5k, that's just 2x price. Where are you getting those figures from?

sh**

Last edited:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
OCZ... whats why I don't purchase from lesser known companies.

OCZ is not a lesser known company. They have a long standing reputation of being memory kit makers and SSDs. The only mistake they've made is that they've stuck with making only these. Corsair was making flash products at the time but taken the decision of expanding beyond memory kit and flash storage products, or else Corsair would most likely be in the same soup. Companies like OCZ went through a time where flash products have taken a toll for a moment, and to make things worse their list of failures and what not. The only thing that separates from G Skills is that their very long standing reputation of good products, compatibility, series of low profile memory kits for value, gamers, enthusiasts, etc. not to mention a lot of overclockers pick these kits. Back in DDR2 days, some batches of OCZ Gold were known to be relabeled value series. Kingston is in much better position like Sandisk because they make storage memory flash cards as well- a big market in itself.

Its just a classic case of not making the right decision at the right time, which eventually leads to inevitable downfall. You look at mechanical storage industry's history over the years. Its no different. The only thing that kept OCZ floating is most likely the vector series. I am sure many know their stock price shooting up at the time of launch. But alas, all good things come to an end if you do not keep up.

That being said, that shouldn't be an excuse to push garbage products in the market as well. Corsair made a brilliant move at first, but now some of their product series are showing signs of downfall.

bubusam13

Human
OCZ is definitely a lesser known company in India. What you think, I am counting the world when I say lesser known company ?

Sandisk also makes sansa clip which is well known among audiophiles.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
OCZ is definitely a lesser known company in India. What you think, I am counting the world when I say lesser known company ?

Sandisk also makes sansa clip which is well known among audiophiles.

nope. OCZ is a good reputed brand. it is in 2012 they struggled much.

Top Bottom