NVIDIA to no longer focus on smartphones

rish1

Cyborg Agent
NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang revealed in an interview with CNET that the company will no longer focus on the smartphone segment.
After the Tegra 4i failed to gain a hold in the market, NVIDIA realized that it is a cost oriented market and in order to compete, NVIDIA will have to compete on not just performance but also on price.

Citing this as the reason, Huang said that NVIDIA will now be focusing on other markets, such as gaming devices (like the company's own Shield) or cars. Cars these days come with sophisticated computing systems of their own and need a capable processor to run all the functions and provide a satisfactory experience.
Whether NVIDIA will never make a smartphone processor is unknown. Huang did suggest that NVIDIA would be interested if someone was making the "Porsche of tablets or phones" but as far as the mainstream devices are concerned, NVIDIA is no longer interested.

Well this is really really Sad .. Considering how good tegra 4i and tegra k1 were turning out to be .. all they needed was to make it better available to a wider market

after failed tegra 2, tegra 3 and somewhat tegra 4( it was a great product though)

they were right on target with tegra 4i and K1 ( cost , Performance , battery life all were great), and this time they would have beaten Qualcomm as well ... really bad move at a wrong time.. :(

amjath

Human Spambot
Rushed here to make a thread.

Anyways Good choice by Nvidia since the market is occupied by Snapdragon, Exynos and Mediatek

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Rushed here to make a thread.

Anyways Good choice by Nvidia since the market is occupied by Snapdragon, Exynos and Mediatek

Exynos is not even in the competition.. it is thriving only because samsung is able to dump here to ignorant people..

Mediatek is awesome at Mid and low end but i don't see them anywhere challenging Qualcomm in High End..
all they are lacking is Better driver and Development Support

Frankly i am tired of Seeing Qualcommm Monopoly at top.. this year they literally Fooled Everyone and took away the cash

Msm8226 ( Cortex A7 quad core with Adreno 305 )
and Snapdragon 801 both of these chips were a terrible rip off ...

had it been any other company it would have nearly lost majority of its business to the competitor

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Mediatek is awesome at Mid and low end but i don't see them anywhere challenging Qualcomm in High End..

maybe this is the reason Nvidia is leaving the mobile market. they don't have any low-mid range chipset. or they could have followed Intel/AMD: going for tablet design (maybe they'll).

Frankly i am tired of Seeing Qualcommm Monopoly at top.. this year they literally Fooled Everyone and took away the cash

you are not alone.

hari1

In the zone
Exynos is not even in the competition.. it is thriving only because samsung is able to dump here to ignorant people..

all they are lacking is Better driver and Development Support

Msm8226 ( Cortex A7 quad core with Adreno 305 )
and Snapdragon 801 both of these chips were a terrible rip off ...

had it been any other company it would have nearly lost majority of its business to the competitor

Could you please tell me why Snapdragon 400(MSM8226) is a rip off? My father just bought a Moto G with Snapdragon 400.

Top Bottom