ntldr..missing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoursnayak

Broken In
guys...i know this topic is mentioned here before..but i need urgent help...
suddenly when i boot into ny pc it showed nldr missing..so i put my winxp cd and tried to reinstall xp...but there is no such option available in the setup.only recovery console and fresh copy installation was there...so i formatted another drive and installed xp there....
now my previous xp is on drive e:/ and my new xp is on drive c:/

now i want to boot inside my e:/ drive...how shall i do this?..
when i restart ma pc its directly goin to drive c:/
pls guys urgent help......

sivarap

In the zone
i don't get it. You want to remove the old version?
you want to remove the new version and make the old one useable?
or you want both of them and want to boot into the e drive wala?
change the boot.ini file to boot from the drive you want. Make sure you copy the ntldr file frm the new version to the old one. It shld work....

you could have just used the repair while installin rather than going thro this trouble.

OP
Y

yoursnayak

Broken In
yes i want to make both the xps to work ....in boot ini..only the new xp that i installed is visible...i've copied the ntldr from the new to the old xp

sivarap

In the zone
Ok if i understand right...u need a dual boot......

see if someone can edit and send you the boot.ini file in the forum. I am using vista...so i'll be of least help for now.
If no one responds, send me a copy of ur boot.ini...i'll see if i remember how to edit it. :D

BTW why do u want same os in two partitions?

OP
Y

yoursnayak

Broken In
ok...how can i send u my boot ini file...btw boot ini file from which xp i've to give ?...the new xp or from old xp?..

sivarap

In the zone
okay now wait a second...I am forgetting my basics..... isn't the boot.ini supposed to be only in the primary partition?
guys help!!!

OP
Y

yoursnayak

Broken In
new one i dont mind removing or keeping...i just need the older one to work.....when i put xp cd it is only showing c:/windows...

sivarap

In the zone
you cld have tried repairing from your xp cd instead of reinstalling on a new drive...anyways.....
try this....
1. first make a boot floppy. if something goes wrong you can use this to edit the boot.ini file again.

2. make a backup of the boot.ini file (copy it as boot.ini.bak or something)

3. edit the boot.ini file.

you sholud see a line something like this...

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

the partition(1) refers to your c drive.....change it to 3 for e drive.....

4. reboot

now your machine shld boot from e drive. if it doesnt boot atall...use the booot floppy, go to c drive and restore the backed up boot.ini and reboot..u'll atleast get back C drive OS.....

all the best.

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
yoursnayak said:
new one i dont mind removing or keeping...i just need the older one to work.....when i put xp cd it is only showing c:/windows...
DUDE U R TOTALLY CONFUSED !! :confused:

first decide wat u want to do. do u want or old xp installation to work n REMOVE THE NEWER 1. or do u want to keep both the xps. BUT KEEPIN BOTH THE XP WILL BE QUITE A FOOLISH IDEA.

u better delete the new xp then repair the older1

OP
Y

yoursnayak

Broken In
Re: ntldr..missing..Problem solved..

dud...i made both the xps working...now....thanz for ur assistence..i achieved this through recovery console..and with a little googling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom