NTFS vs FAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaurav21r

Journeyman
Hey ppl my comp repair guy recently installed a new Hard Disk... The Seagate Baracuda 80GB....is it a good one?

I found that 2 partitions were created like always, but this time C: is 20 GB FAT32 while D: is 55 GB NTFS...

Is it okay for 2 partitions to have different file systems?

Plus which is better and suitable for which type of work b/w FAT32 and NTFS

Third Eye

gooby pls
gaurav21r said:
Hey ppl my comp repair guy recently installed a new Hard Disk... The Seagate Baracuda 80GB....is it a good one?

Yes

Is it okay for 2 partitions to have different file systems?

Yeah

Plus which is better and suitable for which type of work b/w FAT32 and NTFS

NTFS is better

See why -> *www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
eagle_y2j said:
but for me FAT32 is gud option as it is having default read and write support from Linux OS
ntfs can also be read and written from linux. but yes, u have to configure it (atleast in Debian).

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
but for me FAT32 is gud option as it is having default read and write support from Linux OS

Yes, thats very true. But I'd recommend FAT32 for one more reason... In case something goes wrong with your WIN installation, and you need to backup data using some Boot disk, Sometimes, NTFS isn't supported and you end up getting screwed...

eagle_y2j

Youngling
sachin_kothari said:
ntfs can also be read and written from linux. but yes, u have to configure it (atleast in Debian).

i prefer FAT32 for default read and write support ....its less messy

praka123

left this forum longback
wait for sometime more for the work @ *linux-ntfs.org for their final software.
afaik ntfs-3g is a beta software ofcourse based on the work of *linux-ntfs.org project ppl.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
eagle_y2j said:
Instead let only C be FAT32, make other drives ext3, and use ext2ifs to read/write the ext3 partition from windows, that's what I do :-D

eagle_y2j

Youngling
NucleusKore said:
Instead let only C be FAT32, make other drives ext3, and use ext2ifs to read/write the ext3 partition from windows, that's what I do :-D

but is this matters for linux users FAT32 and ext2 (we can read write both )

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
hey guyz what u r talking abt ? Gaurav21r never asked for Linux with FAT.

@ gaurav21r

It is always better to have NTFS partitions than FAT / FAT32 partitions.

If u have any FAT32 partition then u can convert it to NTFS using windows command "convert"

Go to command prompt and type "convert /?" (without quotes)

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
praka123 said:
wait for sometime more for the work @ *linux-ntfs.org for their final software.
afaik ntfs-3g is a beta software ofcourse based on the work of *linux-ntfs.org project ppl.
NTFS-3G is a stable software.. Its out of beta. *www.ntfs-3g.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom