NTFS performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hafees

In the zone
Hi !
i m using windowsXP Proff. Do u think NTFS partition is having a clear advantage than FAT32. (Not in terms of security). which is the efficient one? (again not in terms of security).
:)

ice

In the zone
NTFS, Im not really a security freak, but After i switched to NTFS i realsied my games work wee bit smoother and file searching is faster.

Btw i formatted it to NTFS , didnt convert it.

akshayc

Broken In
NTFS with indexing is abt 12-20% faster in most cases. most noticable when you have upwards of 20000 files per partition yes 20000 not 2000.

JAK

What the Heck !
Ok Fat32 file system has a few limitations like
1: Maximum file size is limited to 4GB(if u are not into video editiing or some programs that require huge file sizes)
2:Absolutely no inbuilt security(can use 3rd party programs)
3: No logon security( Can use 3rd party..Steganos)
4:Tend to get fragmented easily
5:You get a Scandisk prompt every time u shutdown directly
6:Cannot get a efficient sector size.
7: Prone to Dos viruses..(HardriveKillerpro can earase ur HDD in 3 secs)

Pros of NTFS
1: Can set file folder permissions
2: Can limit other user acces to ur files
3: it doesn't get fragmented as often like fat32

Cons of NTFS
1: Not backward compatible to fat32 unless u use partition magic in dos mode
2:However its damn troublesome to recover a NTFS volume incase something bad happens

gamefreak14

Journeyman
If you are a gamer, then converting to NTFS is an absolute must. It also does wonders for those using photoshop and CAD software. Also scandisk takes just 1/10th of time it takes in FAT32. Same for defragmenting. I say this because after using FAT32 ever since XP came out, converted to NTFS just a month ago. And I feel that NTFS is the best.

FunkyB

Broken In
hey thanx jak for enlightening me...i really had no idea that NTFS was so much better...and i use photoshop and CAD a lot...think i'll take the advice here and convert back to NTFS...but tell me in case of a windows corruption(am using XP) or if i need to format and re-setup my system, how do i do it. i made a xp bootable floppy but it did not work though my 98 bootable floppy worked absolutely fine. my worry is that if i am in such a situation, i'll get screwed...

nirubhai

Broken In
JAK said:
2:However its damn troublesome to recover a NTFS volume incase something bad happens
yea, so don't put access permissions on ur imp data folders......
if its very important, please backup!

NTFS rarely needs scandisk.....atleast i havn't seen yet scandisk running on NTFS drive,
niether it needs a defrag,
the search is faster,
its really tuned up fs :)
takes a bit more space but, its worth!

JAK

What the Heck !
nirubhai said:
JAK said:
yea, so don't put access permissions on ur imp data folders......
if its very important, please backup!

Na Na Nirubhai....

There is no harm in settin permissions m8..Even if u format and reinstall then there is no problem accessing data which has permissions set to it. All u need to do is aquire OWNERSHIP of the data...

Simply go to PROPERTIES = >Security =>Advance = >Owner..
Keep in Mind u need to hav ADMINISTRATIVE privilages to do that
change the owner ther nd assume control of the data...... :wink:

The problem arises only if u encrypt data..... :wink:

gamefreak14

Journeyman
@FunkyB - In case of windows getting corrupt, you can use the recovery console found on the Win XP boot cd. I forgot to mention another thing - there's a higher chance of programs corrupting for just no reason. One is manhunt and thief 3- installed both twice.
@Nirubhai - Scandisk is found as "error-check" on NTFS volumes. rt. click drive>Properties>Tools>Error check.

FunkyB

Broken In
gamefreak14 said:
@FunkyB - In case of windows getting corrupt, you can use the recovery console found on the Win XP boot cd. I forgot to mention another thing - there's a higher chance of programs corrupting for just no reason. One is manhunt and thief 3- installed both twice.
@Nirubhai - Scandisk is found as "error-check" on NTFS volumes. rt. click drive>Properties>Tools>Error check.

cool...thanx mate...

zenblue

Broken In
Hi guys...i have a 20GB HDD with 3 partitions- C:, D: & E:...with winxpsp2 on C: and D:&E: for storage..:)...after reading such a positive feedback here about NTFS file system, today i finally converted "C:" partition to NTFS using convert command, while D&E are still on FAT32...i have a few queries regarding this...pls help...

1) after converting to NTFS, i have noticed slight increase in used space on "C:"(8GB)..its gone up from 2.78GB to 2.90GB...is this normal??..

2) i had earlier changed the Indexing Service in Control panel>>Admin Tools>> Services to "Manual" from "Automatic"(to save some bootup time) as im not on network..im home user & i use dialup for interent..do i keep Indexing Service to "Manual" or do i have to change it to automatic now..?

3) when i see the properties of "C:" by right clicking>>Properties there is a tick mark at bottom of the box saying something like "Allow indexing service.........................." Do i keep it ticked?..does indexing takes up lot of HDD space for cataloging?...Also there is another Option "Compress drive to save....." shall i keep it unchecked?..can the boot partition be compressed?..

4) Does Indexing Services also includes indexing of other partitions (apart from boot partition)?..if so, how can i select what partitions to index or not?...

5)Lastly, does indexing improves the performance of system?..

Thanks..

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Well... I dont recommended turning on Indexing service on. Its considered as a resource hog and usually turned on servers..

zenblue

Broken In
thanks @"it_waaznt_me"....so do i keep it on "disable" or "manual" it from control panel or just disable for particular folders??

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
My recommendation will be to Disbale it ... You can set it to Manual too ..

Btw ... You can have a great list of Service configurations here .

G

gxsaurav

Even I disable Indexing service, I see no point of using it at home

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
but in ntfs we cant access by dos, am i correct?
i do copy and do tweak work in dos mode....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom