Ntfs Or FAT32, Why?

Which of the following explains the file system in your computer?? Do treat EXT (linux) or other par

• Fat32 only (With only Win XP installed)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fat32 only (With only os which do not support Ntfs installed)

• Ntfs + Fat32 (win only XP installed)

• Ntfs + Fat32 (Dual boot, XP + Other Windows OS)

• Not listed here (some other OS only or some other combination)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Which type of file system do you use in your computer and why?? Please let me know. I dont know the differences in them. Please let me know.

I think FAT32 is the best, even for XP because we can boot into the computer with the help of a 98 bootable floppy and recover the important files even if the system crashes........... Moreover, it is necessary for dual boot with FAT32 requiring system (eg. Win 98).

What do you think?? Please let me know.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
already discussed in the following threads:

*thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6773&highlight=fat32+ntfs
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4559&highlight=fat32+ntfs
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7300&highlight=ntfs+fat32

plz search b4 posting

jay4u

In the zone
How can u possibly stick to FAT32. No encryption. No lagre file handling and no large drive sizes. Error prone, Stinky scandisk, Less reliability, Less features.

Its like u stilll wanted to stay with our good old 98 SE and that's the only reason why u want FAT32. To answer all your Qs?

1. XP runs faster on NTFS than FAT32
2. Win 98 SE is officially dead. So no need to run after it
3. U an recover file in case of System crashes using NTFS also. If your folder is encrypted then you may not be able to. But for that also there are alternative methods........

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
rajkumar_personal said:
You stinkin' old fool....................
NTFS is beter than most of the other file systems bcoz of its security and better struct. and millions of more reasons !

dont fling personal attacks at other forum members....

hafees

In the zone
Yes NTFS is best. if u want then keep one small partition say 2 GB for FAT32 (may be a primary partition so that u can install Win 98 there)

Deep

Version 2.0
I am locking this thread..as it has been discussed before..you may check the links provided by Nemesis

Deep

OP
K

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Common this thread even contains a fantastic poll
And i now agree that Ntfs is better. I converted all of them (except my Pagefile Drives) to Ntfs without changing the data....................

ujjwal

Padawan
Well, I don't use Windows NT or the crowd, but I feel a good partition layout would be to have a primary partition which is NTFS, and leave one FAT32 partition incase you have to access it from dos ....

Anyway, my partition layout -

2 FAT32 partitions (win 98)
1 reiserfs partition (linux)
1 jfs partition (linux)
1 linux swap partition

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
yup even i use fat 32... just because it is simpler to access via dos when therez a problem in xp.... a few mili-seconds don't count for me. I guess thats the only difference. I think we are not NASA or CIA, we don't need encyrption.

Rest is the same old story...

1 swap

1 ext3

Ashootosh

Broken In
well i dont agree with mail2nd.......... i think ntfs is far far far better then fat32.......... and also i have stopped solving problems in xp through dos. I think there r more ways 2 solve problem that r better then solving via dos.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
>> agree with mail2and that using NTFS in real life practical desktop won't help us in ny good.... for me FAT32 works best for both 98 nd XP....

rajas

In the zone
Surely NTFS

I personally feel NTFS is better to use with NT related OS(WIN2K, XP) as the Performance and Reliabillity increase by it.

Yes... I miss my Fav OS: Win98 but got to move with new technology.

OP
K

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Yeah PPL!!
Thanks..........
I have converted all my Fat32 partitions to Ntfs and they all work fine...............
No checking of disks after improper shutdown, great man.
Quick Defragmentation............. That's great too...........

{MaX}

Right off the assembly line
NTFS is definitely better than FAT32, but with Windows, i can never be very sure when i need recovery, so I stick to FAT32.

hafees

In the zone
I have 2 NTFS (for XP and My Documents)
1 FAT32 (for storing mp3s& video)
i m going to convert it also. since my pcq linux 2005 has inbuilt support for NTFS.
2 EXT3 (one for / and one for /home)
1 Linux Swap

OP
K

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
{MaX} said:
NTFS is definitely better than FAT32, but with Windows, i can never be very sure when i need recovery, so I stick to FAT32.
Hey, if your troube is recobery, i think i have a solution.............
How about DOS Ntfs Reader??
Download it from
*www.majorgeeks.com/download2036.html

Well, for others who don't know how to change FAT32 to Ntfs, just try the following in the command prompt
Code:
convert <drivename> /fs:ntfs
Here, <drivename> is the name of the drive you'd like to convert........
Eg:
Code:
convert c: /fs:ntfs

Note that reconversion to FAT32 is not possible (at least by this method)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom