Note 2 Slow Charging

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
Guys my Note 2 has been having some problem with the charging. The charging current keeps fluctuating and the charging speed varies. (Sometime even leaving it overnight charges only 40%).
I researched that it could be due to the usb cable that comes with the charger and to buy a usb cable of proper rating for charging but can't find one in india. All of them have the Samsung cable only.
Have any of you faced a similar problem? And if you have then how did u correct it? And also will charging at a lower rate harm the motherboard of the phone in the long run?

ssb1551

Technomancer
vanpr7 - Where dija buy the Phone? 'cause I face the same issue sometimes with my Galaxy S3. Sometimes the charging percentage increases by only 1 - 3% after charging for around 1 hour. But if I remove the Charging Cable and plug it back in again then within it charges quite fast, like 5 - 8% in half an hour.

BTW I purchased my S3 from Flipkart.

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
I purchased my Note 2 from a vendor in Noida on Jan 5th. So the phone is in warranty but the charger and battery isn't as it's only 6 months for them. My friend is having the very same problem. It's quite a common problem for Samsung devices I guess. Will go tomorrow though to the service centre and see.

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^Ok, do let us know what do the Service Centre people think of this? If they ask you to get it replaced then I'll replace my charger/battery too as it is within warranty.

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
I have same issue on my s3 and the reason is faulty samsung charging cable. My friend is facing the same issue on his note 2.
Obv we cant solve the problem without changing the cable but there is a app on play store that let you know how much current your phone is getting. The maximum my phone gets in 900 mA. So when it is getting 900mA my phone charge fully in 1.5-2 hours but when its shows 400-500 mA it sometime takes more than 6-7 hours to charge.

*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.abmantis.galaxychargingcurrent.free

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
I have same issue on my s3 and the reason is faulty samsung charging cable. My friend is facing the same issue on his note 2.
Obv we cant solve the problem without changing the cable but there is a app on play store that let you know how much current your phone is getting. The maximum my phone gets in 900 mA. So when it is getting 900mA my phone charge fully in 1.5-2 hours but when its shows 400-500 mA it sometime takes more than 6-7 hours to charge.

*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.abmantis.galaxychargingcurrent.free

I'm also using a similar app to check the current. But the current varies. After a few hit and tries of plugging and unplugging I get 600 or 500. (Only once after I have been monitoring did I notice it at 1000). Otherwise it's even lower. :(. Can you tell me where I can find an alternative cable?
I'm more worried now as one of my friend's Galaxy Note got screwed up coz of this issue. His mobo had to be changed and it cost him over 10k.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Samsung is going the drain way in build quality. I replaced my S3 for serious call drop /signal loss problems and then got a Note 2 ,which has weak 3G reception issues. Fed up. Should have bought a Sony.

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
I'm also using a similar app to check the current. But the current varies. After a few hit and tries of plugging and unplugging I get 600 or 500. (Only once after I have been monitoring did I notice it at 1000). Otherwise it's even lower. :(. Can you tell me where I can find an alternative cable?
I'm more worried now as one of my friend's Galaxy Note got screwed up coz of this issue. His mobo had to be changed and it cost him over 10k.

Any idea where we can get the Charging cable for S3? Or how much will a new charger for S3 cost? I'm pretty sure it'll cost less than the Motherboard of S3 :p

Dont know that where will we get a new cable but will have to buy it soon.

Samsung is going the drain way in build quality. I replaced my S3 for serious call drop /signal loss problems and then got a Note 2 ,which has weak 3G reception issues. Fed up. Should have bought a Sony.
Agreed. Should have bought if sony or HTC. Build quality is really **** of Samsung.

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
So anyone knows any way to correct this? A new Samsung should fix it? Coz I'm really doubtful about it now. Was looking for some other brand's USB cable with and mAH rating as high as that of the Note 2's USB cable. Couldn't find one in the market. :/.

ssb1551

Technomancer
I'll scout the Samsung shops in Bangalore tomorrow and let you guys know if they have Original Samsung USB Cable. Will a new charger do? that is in case if the shopkeeper is unwilling to sell only the cable then can I ask for the entire charger?

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
I'll scout the Samsung shops in Bangalore tomorrow and let you guys know if they have Original Samsung USB Cable. Will a new charger do? that is in case if the shopkeeper is unwilling to sell only the cable then can I ask for the entire charger?

Yeah alright. Let us know if it's giving the rated mAH supply or not. That's what I'm more worried about than the money. Coz getting a new charger is better than getting the mobo changed. :p.

$hadow

Geek in making
Samsung did pushed a 35mb update for gs3 on 4.1.2. I am using the 4.2.2 leaked rom for gs3. It has certainly made the call reception a lot better in comparison to what we get on 4.1.2 . And as far ass charging is concerned check if your phone is not charging like it is connected too pc.

ssb1551

Technomancer
Yeah alright. Let us know if it's giving the rated mAH supply or not. That's what I'm more worried about than the money. Coz getting a new charger is better than getting the mobo changed. :p.

Ok, I asked around a lotta Samsung Stores. They don't sell only the USB cable, rather the entire charger which is for 1.3k. Anyways my mobile is within 6 months warranty period so I went to the Service Centre and gave the cable to be replaced. While I was running around one of the Samsung store guy sold me a Travel Adapter, the fixed kind where one can't remove the charging cable. He said it's compatible with S3, but later I found the Output rating of the Adapter is 5V DC and 0.7A. I really doubt if that charger is for S3 cause when I came back home and checked the rating on the S3 Adapter, it was 5v DC and 1A. I also purchased an USB data cable for 150 bucks just to check if any USB data cable can work with the charger and to my surprise it charged the Phone normally. 5% charging in half an hour. So, just buy an USB Cable from one of the local shops and check.

OP
vanpr7

vanpr7

Gamer For Life
Ok, I asked around a lotta Samsung Stores. They don't sell only the USB cable, rather the entire charger which is for 1.3k. Anyways my mobile is within 6 months warranty period so I went to the Service Centre and gave the cable to be replaced. While I was running around one of the Samsung store guy sold me a Travel Adapter, the fixed kind where one can't remove the charging cable. He said it's compatible with S3, but later I found the Output rating of the Adapter is 5V DC and 0.7A. I really doubt if that charger is for S3 cause when I came back home and checked the rating on the S3 Adapter, it was 5v DC and 1A. I also purchased an USB data cable for 150 bucks just to check if any USB data cable can work with the charger and to my surprise it charged the Phone normally. 5% charging in half an hour. So, just buy an USB Cable from one of the local shops and check.
Ohk. I will try that USB cable thing. Will go and see if anyone sells just the USB cable. Btw i researched online and found that the Kindle's charger can be used to charge our device. It's more rugged and has a long cable length as well. Will go and ask around if anyone sells that and see if gives the proper rating.

ssb1551

Technomancer

Whats the battery drainage in S3 for you? I mean what will be the battery charge % at the end of the day with regular use like listening to music for half an hour or so, a few calls and of course the Mobile Data on all the time for WhatsAPP?

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
Got my s3 from service center today as it has some problems(heating issues) along with charging. And they replaced the usb cable and the charging port on my phone. Now I am getting 1000mA rating on the app I linked earlier. It is charging very fast ( 7-8 % in 10 minutes ) till 80-90% but then its take atleast half an hour more to charge from 80-100%. Anyone else facing this issue? Why is it happening? It even happened earlier before they changed my cable

ssb1551

Technomancer
No idea dude. I bought my S3 in May of this year and thats not my primary phone. I'm still using my old Motorola Atrix 2. But after reading all these issues with S3, I feel like selling it off and getting something else but never Samsung. Although my cousin wants me to get an S4.

Vignesh B

Youngling
Got my s3 from service center today as it has some problems(heating issues) along with charging. And they replaced the usb cable and the charging port on my phone. Now I am getting 1000mA rating on the app I linked earlier. It is charging very fast ( 7-8 % in 10 minutes ) till 80-90% but then its take atleast half an hour more to charge from 80-100%. Anyone else facing this issue? Why is it happening? It even happened earlier before they changed my cable
That is quite normal. Samsung doesn't want you to charge Li-ion cells more than 90% frequently so as to extend battery life.

Top Bottom