Not able to partition my laptop

udbhavdwivedi

Right off the assembly line
I have HP pavillion dv2910 tx laptop . Few days back i installed ubuntu 11.10 over my hard disk . The problem is that now i am not able to partition my hard disk .I need to partition it,so that i can install windows on one part .
I tried gparted live,but after few minutes laptop shut down . I don't know what's the problem,but i really need windows as well as ubuntu . Please help me .:-(

khmadhu

change is constant!!
you can try partitioning in Ubuntu itself. there is a disk utility application you can use that.

doomgiver

Warframe
1. do you have VALUABLE data on the disk right now?
2. are you willing to do a "clean" install??
clean meaning that ALL data is wiped forever from the disk, and you install the OS all over from scratch.

OP
U

udbhavdwivedi

Right off the assembly line
I tried to partition d ubuntu 11.10 using gparted live from flash drive . But i am not able to partition it . The laptop just shut down . I don't want a clean install .
I want 50 gb space for ubuntu and rest for windows. right now i am having ubuntu installed with no partition . Please help me how to partition it .

you can try partitioning in Ubuntu itself. there is a disk utility application you can use that.

I know about the disk utility application in ubuntu,but the problem is that you cannot partition the drive while you are using it . I don't have any partition .

Now tell me how to partition it using disk utility ???

doomgiver

Warframe
But i am not able to partition it . The laptop just shut down . I don't want a clean install .
I want 50 gb space for ubuntu and rest for windows. right now i am having ubuntu installed with no partition . Please help me how to partition it .

if you have ubuntu installed first, it might give problems when installing windows, as windows overwrites all MBR data, and deletes the ubuntu partition data, which prevents you from booting to ubuntu.
thats why its recommended to install windows first, and ubuntu/linux last.

also, did it give error? when it failed?
did the laptop just shutdown?? or did it restart?

also, PLEASE do us a favor and post a scrreen shot of GPARTED in action. i wnt to see how ur disk is partitioned.

Laptop shutting down suddenly may be a hardware fault i guess, or may be some gparted glitch. Do tell which version of Ubuntu you are using and if you have primary partitions = 4.

@doomgiver : mbr overwrite is not a problem. Ubuntu grub can be recovered easily by a simple set of commands.

doomgiver

Warframe
for the average user who does not know it, it is.

thats why the insane number of queries "help me, windows removed my linux partition!!"
pays to be safe

Top Bottom