Noob Linux User

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecko

Wandering In Tecno Land
We'll i just thought of moving to Linux from Windows
I need a liitle help

Need a linux which requires no terminal commands (yes I'm fed up by terminal)
A very very good & customizable GUI
GUI for doing everything (ex configuring Internet Connection)

A friend of mine reconed me OS PCLINUX
What you guyz say

I tried Ubuntu
Though installaton was preety easy I just gave up soon (yah I'm a noob)
Please don't comment about this atleast

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Ubuntu is easiest of them all.
Offtopic How many kilometers do you have to travel from Suse to Ubuntu :D

Rahim

Married!
My goat goes to Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon" bcoz of
1. Great Community
2. Very User Friendly OS (OpenSuse is also good but Ubuntu's community is veryyy bigggg)

On Second Thought, Well Linux Mint is also very good as pointed out by shady

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Need a linux which requires no terminal commands (yes I'm fed up by terminal)
A very very good & customizable GUI
GUI for doing everything (ex configuring Internet Connection)

I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu if you want no terminal commands at all. Id rather recommend Mandriva or PCLinux as mentioned above.

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
cadcrazy said:
Ubuntu is easiest of them all.
Have you tried Mint Linux.??It is Ubuntu on steroids.!It has got support for mp3,java,flash,wmv etc right out of the box.Besides, it's default theme of black and minty-green is better than ubuntu's orange one.Also it has got softwares like Amarok,APTonCD,Mplayer,K3b etc all installed by default plus access to ubuntu repos for additional software too.
So, for a new user, Linux mint is easier to get used to than ubuntu in my humble opinion.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
No Terminal Command you said :)

Get Linux Mint right away its has everything I mean everything out of the box ;)

praka123

left this forum longback
no terminal?may be ur looking for a windows like linux?try Vixta or pclinuxos kde (better!) and try reactos!

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
no terminal?may be ur looking for a windows like linux?try Vixta or pclinuxos kde (better!) and try reactos!
What in the world are you suggesting :? One of the best Linux User here suggesting Vixta :|

Vixta : Tested and it sucks .. I guess there is no install option in it :| No sound support and just a fake OS...
PCLOS : - Full with crap.. I don't know how many media player a person will use to listen music.. and there is lack of essentials that I have noticed in Gnome :|
React OS : Is in Alpha stage and so be it, it is not stable and meant for a newbie ::eek:

Though still you can give PCLOS a try but I don't like it .. Get Linux Mint it has got even support for Restricted Format like .rm and .mpg :p

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I think your avatar says it all. Go for OpenSuSE 10.3, you can use the link suggested by infra_red_dude for a speedy multimedia setup, even if you have an internet connection. A word of advice, you may set up your internet connection during install, but don't bother testing your internet connection and downloading updates during the setup, it can make a BIG MESS. Do that later.

praka123

left this forum longback
What in the world are you suggesting :? One of the best Linux User here suggesting Vixta :|

Vixta : Tested and it sucks .. I guess there is no install option in it :| No sound support and just a fake OS...
PCLOS : - Full with crap.. I don't know how many media player a person will use to listen music.. and there is lack of essentials that I have noticed in Gnome :|
React OS : Is in Alpha stage and so be it, it is not stable and meant for a newbie ::eek:

Though still you can give PCLOS a try but I don't like it .. Get Linux Mint it has got even support for Restricted Format like .rm and .mpg :p
I have never personally tried any of these ;) and am not the best;worst among the best rest!

OP
Ecko

Ecko

Wandering In Tecno Land
Thanx for the suggestions guyz
I installed successfully OpenSuse 10.3
Wow it looked nice :)
Also was very simple & very informative
I got struck in Ubuntu last time configuring BSNl BB
But in Suse it was just as simple as windows
Must for new users like me

Now I have to read books what etc folders means in linux :D

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Welcome to the club.

This is a fantastic introductory book in general - Linux for Windows Addicts
*shop.rediff.com/bookshop/buyersearch.jsp?lookfor=MILLER MICHAEL JOSEPH&search=1

Also read the documentation available here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom