Non-PC Torrent Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kannan

In the zone
Hi All,

It has been almost 2 yrs since I last posted in the forum. Eventhough I visit this site once in a while it has been very long since I posted.

Ok the following is what I need.

I want a hardware based torrent downloader which should run off the PC. Is there any solution available ?

One solution which I know is Network Access Storage which have in built hardisk, come with Torrent Client and have both Wi-Fi Card as well as Ethernet Card.

Is there any such hardware available in India ?
It can be either major brands like Western Digital or chinese make with just enclosure and Torrent Client without harddisk.

If possible please provide the pricing too.

Kannan

acewin

Point Blanc
not sure what exactly it is called and availability, but if you are talking about network HDDs, I think they are available

Bandu

Journeyman
Try and look for MVix media player. I am using the HD 740 version and somewhere I heard that their next media player will have an inbuilt torrent client.

sau07rabh

Right off the assembly line
I think you should go with Network Access Storage which have in built hardisk it will be best solution available in India to meet your needs

OP
K

Kannan

In the zone
Thanks Guys for replying..

Bandu,

I checked the specs for all the HD versions. None of them have torrent capability. Hope may be the manufacturer will push torrent capability with next firmware push.
Whats the price of yours ?

Saurabh,

NAS is available in India, but do they have torrent client inside them ?
I have been searching, but till now not available.

Do you guys have any make and model available in India ?

blackbird

Journeyman
Spend a Lot of time researching this...

You want a, 5 watt, silent, low heat, torrent box for less then 4.5k?
Then check this out:

*www.nslu2-linux.org/

others

*wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7643
*hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9960
*www.matthewlking.com/torrent_download_machine/
*nerdica.com/?p=30
*cgi.ebay.com/NAS-SMC-WAPS-G-2-5-HD...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
*www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2194862,00.asp
*www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/07/26/external-bit-torrent-hard-drive-packs-a-solid-punch

*www.popcornhour.com/ (costly but the player is truly amazing)

My personal opinions :
Firstly i am mad at torrents really i can't hide that. I do a lot of downloading over the net.
I was also and still i m behind this type thing which comes under 5-6k (with harddisk).
A player will not handle the load of Torrent Client Because of lot of connection (peers /nodes) and also disk usage heavily. You might get a success in running 1-2 torrent at a time (that i highly doubt) not more than that because u will get around 400Mhz of speed (if u are talking abt the router system).

Advantages :
1) Low Power
2) Low Noise
3) Quick On and Off (no need to wait like PC)
4) Full utilization of unlimited ISP plan
5) virus proof (not talking abt all but 90% because of ROM os)
6) Seedbox
7) Easy carry small size

Disadvantages :
1) Not stable like pc
2) High Power above 350w
3) Noise
4) Response time on and off is slow
5) Creates Multitasking
6) No custimization or control over the machine (unless u know linux)
7) Cost around or above 4k (in which u can get a second hand pc which will be better than this one)

So u better start building a Torrent box (pc) taking into consideration Power Usages and form factor...It will cost u abt the same which u will get with it...but feature will be more than the router....

I my self use PIII 800/810e/128mb/160gb/250watts for downloading stuff of p2p, download manager, torrent....

I was not in my senses when i wrote this (midnight 1.45am)

Okay here is something i just found out

*www.buffalo-technology.com/products/network-storage/linkstation/linkstation-live/
*www.itvarnews.net/news/journal_com...uffalo Adds LinkStation Live with Bit Torrent

(the LinkStation Live with Bit Torrent will be available in Indian market in the month of October at an estimated street price of Rs.14351 (320GB), Rs16922 (500GB), Rs17951(640GB), Rs23095 (1TB).)

Last edited:
OP
K

Kannan

In the zone
Hey Black Bird ( You belong to Honda family :p )

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Even I have come to the same conclusion of using PC as a torrent box. Cause these storage devices and BT enabled routers are too costly and we can buy a eeepc for that price itself.

I think seedboxes *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seedbox can also be used and am thinking about getting one (Not VPS but torrent hosting like torrenswift etc). They come as low as 10 USD a month. But still analysing the issues which might arise.

Lemme know what you guys think about using seedboxes.

Last edited:

Bandu

Journeyman
Bandu,

I checked the specs for all the HD versions. None of them have torrent capability. Hope may be the manufacturer will push torrent capability with next firmware push.
Whats the price of yours ?

It was just a suggestion. Nothing can beat a regular PC for torrenting. I did not bother to look for a firmware for my player. I dont remember, but it was something like 350 Euros (1 year ago) including the 500 GB HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom