Nokia N79 & N85 available

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
N

nikhilpai

Techans
is there any slider movement and how is ur d pad .. is it fine or stiff

i guess the piece i got was faulty one as navi wheel also was not functioning properly ..
n79 is priced at 19.x something ..

Did u get it changed?

It seems there are quite a few reports on mobile forums worldwide about the N85 slider being wobbly.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
After looking a lot, at N73 ME, SE G700, G900, Nokia N82 & N79...I came to a conclusion that the only phone which fits all my requirements perfectly is only Nokia N79. Every other phone has some or the other flaw & N79 is the only one fitting my requirements. I hope by december its price will reduce cos once I buy this phone, I will keep it for 3 years atleast.

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
Did u get it changed?

It seems there are quite a few reports on mobile forums worldwide about the N85 slider being wobbly.

i did not purchase it .. i am going to get one today actually ..lets hope i get a good solid one ..

n79 is a nice choice ..

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
If you can have a look at N79, then have a look at tell me how is it build quality wise. Also, whether it is slow in general navigation etc...

OP
N

nikhilpai

Techans
After looking a lot, at N73 ME, SE G700, G900, Nokia N82 & N79...I came to a conclusion that the only phone which fits all my requirements perfectly is only Nokia N79. Every other phone has some or the other flaw & N79 is the only one fitting my requirements. I hope by december its price will reduce cos once I buy this phone, I will keep it for 3 years atleast.

U not considering the 5800 ?

If you can have a look at N79, then have a look at tell me how is it build quality wise. Also, whether it is slow in general navigation etc...

And the hardness of the soft keys.... the call & end keys

Last edited:

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
ok .. guys, got my n85 today .. simply fantastic device .. next bestseller for sure :)

anyone wanaa know abt n85 .. ur welcome ..

Last edited:

aritrap

Mobile Addict
Is the slider woobly even now? Is the D pad functioning well?
Did ur phone come with a 8GB memory card in the box?

@yogi You have got a PM from me.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I m not to keen of 5800 Express Music. I don't like full touchscreen phone, they get dirty quicky. But if the cost of N79 & 5800 is same when buying, I will go for 5800 instead

OP
N

nikhilpai

Techans
ok .. guys, got my n85 today .. simply fantastic device .. next bestseller for sure :)

Congrats !!

1. How is the slider quality?
2. How is the build quality? Does it feel too plasticky?
3. How is the Dual LED ?
4. Is the FM Transmitter enabled?
5. Compare with N95 8GB
6. Are the keys below the screen good to use? The soft keys, the call & end keys, the menu & the clear key?

rockstar143

Right off the assembly line

Hey yogi does the n85 support WMV playback? Pls cud u try WMV files and let us knw if it supports or nt. Thank u

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
ok thanks guys :) i will try to answer ur all questions .. even a mini review is on the cards

1.slider quality is better than n95 8gb .. though there is no movement in up-down direction in closed position .. but a slight very tiny movement from left to right .. though its not a big issue at all ..

2.build quality is very good .. do not feel plasticky at all ..

3. dual led flash is much better than single led of n95 8gb . though its not on the same lines as xenon flash .. my n82 is lying with my friend hence, cant compare .. but lets assure, its not as effective as xenon of n82 but that can be ignored ,as u can use those dual led setup while video recording and those leds are pretty bright .. hence u can record in total darkness which n82 cant do ..

4. fm transmitter is enabled .. and its works fine upto a range of 6feet ..that is what i tried with a friend of mine ..will let u know its exact effective range ..

5. it looks slick and sexy in front of bulky n95 8gb .. at first u cant believe how compact this device is ..

6. keys below the screen are pretty good to use ..they are a bit hard compared to n82 setup but u can get used to it ..no big issue ..

7. yes i think it does support wmv playback ..though i have not tried it personally yet ..will let u know for sure

8. music quality through headset that is creative ep 630, is way way better than n95 8gb and n82 .. bass is bit more pronounced as well midrange ..its definitely better though i am not an audiophile .. i have heard n81 .. and i can say its on the same lines of n81.. only that n81 was a notch louder ..

9. dont expect speakers to be as loud as n95 8gb ..there are not ..though they are bit louder than n82 setup. they are very clear on the maximum volume ..no distortion ..

10. camera performance is very very good in daylight ..i am even liking it better than n82 cos of its vibrant colour reproduction ..atleast on its beautiful oled screen .. though there is a issue with software in low light ..which i think is a firmware issue and will be fixed for sure

11. keypad lock/unlock key is very handy ..

12. menu transition effects are very cool ..

overall, i will call it a nice upgrade from n95 8gb .. not sure whether u want to upgrade from n82 which i think is the best nokia handset till date .. though n85 has all the qualities to be a bestseller as well ..

unique features over n82 would be ,

1. 2.6" oled screen ..n82 screen is nowhere in front of it
2. dual led setup which can be used while video recording
3. geo tagging is available in video recording as well
4. feature pack 2 - very nice addition over n82
5. dedicated media keys which can used while music , radio , gaming , camera , gallery
6. comes with 8 gb card bundled ..
7. music quality is way better than n82
8. video playback quality is better too because of oled screen ..same goes for gaming ..
9. keypad lock key is very handy .. missing in n82
10. better keypad
11. camera on the same lines as n82 ..though i think it may be better ..not sure though
12. fm transmitter as well as navi wheel
13. usb charging
14. extra software comes preinstalled as indisms, sms reader, oxford dictionary etc ..
15. battery life is better ..

any more quiries ...

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I was able to use Nokia N79 today. On first impression I wished it was available in black. The phone isn't as fast as N82 in UI nevigation, more like 95% speed of N82. One thing I liked is that we can increse the UI font & it is anti-allised, like Cleartype is enabled in it. Camera quality is nice & so is the display for my standards. I wasn't able to check the audio quality though but speakers were loud. It is available for Rs 21.5k.

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
hey...had gone to alfa mumbai today to buy the n82...The price of n85 is 23750 or as yogi said...n79 is 19850/-...thought of going for the n79 but for the price range..i finally bought the n82 today & a free dvd...lol...:D

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Can V record video in N82 with Xenon flash turned on? we can do it in N79

Xenon flash can only stay on for a very short fraction of a second. Any longer and it'll burn. Xenon flash hence is only useful for still photography.

The flash in N79 is dual LED, not Xenon. LED's can stay ON for as long as you want but they are not as bright as xenon. Hence for still photography they are not as good as xenon but they can be used for video recording in the dark.

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
hey...had gone to alfa mumbai today to buy the n82...The price of n85 is 23750 or as yogi said...n79 is 19850/-...thought of going for the n79 but for the price range..i finally bought the n82 today & a free dvd...lol...:D

excellent choice ..

update on n85 --

global race - racing thunder , the game which uses gpu built in n82 , n95 8gb just absolutely suck on n85 .. so apps which make use of graphics 3d accelerator wont give u good performance on non-gpu handsets such as n85 ,n79 etc .. the same game runs smoothly on both n82 and n95 8gb .. luckily there are very few apps which makes use of the graphics accelerator, hence its not a big prob ..atleast for me..not much into gaming ..

videos looks simply amazing on n85 ..better than even n95 8gb ..

mark my words guys, as i said it before for n82 , n85 is a super fantastic device .. no doubts abt it ..

Last edited:

rockstar143

Right off the assembly line
hey yogi is it an only gsm/edge model of n85? Pls could u go in the settings and see if it supports 3G or nt. And what abt WMV. Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom