NOKIA 6260 -Review

Rate the review...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Here comes the review of NOKIA 6260. This time i try my best not be biased.

* More about 6260

*img128.exs.cx/img128/7412/no6260017mc.jpg

Nokia 6260 is a clam-shell/swivel type symbian phone with operating system 7. It is the only clamshell smart phone introduced by nokia (in INDIA). Nokia dubs the phone as " business-orientated phone".

* First impression

The second clamshell phone by nokia ( FIrst one being the 7200 ). Most of us like a clamshell phone for its looks and a larger Screen display. It also weighs less, considering it is a flip-flop mob. The 65k TFT screen is also good. It is "feature packed" and "fully loaded" type.
This phone impressed me a lot considering it's features and it's price.

* Main features

Some of the key features:

# User Interface: Symbian operating system version 7.0S, Series 60 platform.
# Weight: 130 g (and remember it is a clamshell model)
# Dimensions: 10cm/5cm/2.3cm
# Battery / talktime: 760 mAh / Up to 2 -4 hours
# Memory: internal 6mb and expandable with MMC. The MMC also offers hot swapping i.e, change the MMC without turning off the phone. This is not new feature and already in n gage series mobs.
# Camera: video capture (VGA camera at the side of the phone)
# Resolution: 176 x 208-pixels
# Connectivity: Bluetooth, GPRS, HSCSD, Nokia Connectivity Adapter cable (USB), IRDa.
# Tri-band: EGSM 900, GSM 1800/1900.
# Display: 65k TFT LCD
# Ringtones: MIDI,WAV,MP3 formats.
# Entertainment: MP3 player ( Mono ) , FM radio, voice recorder, Video and audio streaming
# Business applications: MS word , powerpoint reader and viewer (we cant compose) using the pre-installed Quickpoint and Quickword viewers.Email composing , FAX etc, is also supported.
# Voice Commands/Dialling

Now to the other aspects of 6260....

* Conectivity

The 6260 performs well when it comes to connectivity. Conenctivity was a snap to set up with either of the supported protocols.
Supports:
:arrow: Bluetooth
:arrow: USB 2.0 cable connection (PopPort).
:arrow: IRda
:arrow: GPRS
:arrow: HSCSD
:arrow: Push to Talk compatible (remember the TATA indicom advertisement?)

The only thing that was missing was EDGe, and as it is network dependent, it is not that hot now.

* Camera

*img38.exs.cx/img38/939/x428cd.jpg

The camera is at the left side and to the side of the phone. I must agree the camera lens slot might may get soiled and dirty as we use and handle the phone.

It should have been like a samsung model E700 where the the camera lens is at the junction of the two parts of the clamshell which can rotate 180 deg as well or like LG G7200 where the cam is at the pivotal point.

The camera can shoot pictures at VGA resolution (300,000 pixels) and also record video. Since we can rotate the screen, self potrait is also easy. But still nokia can consider a mega pixel camera like 6630/6670/7610 or SE k700i/ S700i phone.

Camera application automatically starts whenever you turn the LCD in the "camera mode" ( that is swivel it to 90 degrees on either side ).I felt some people may get irritated whenver we swivel the LCD. Ofcourse the cam can be started manually as well ... but you will have to swivel it to either position to take a snapshot.

Final word on camera, again i will have to agree it is just a 0.3 mp cam only and nokia should come with 1.3mp cam in almost all its smart phone. No flash as well. The display is brighter and more rich in color. But its the camera that makes it so cheap and affordable as compared to the 7610 with the exact same features.

* "Modes" and twist feature

The main selling points of this phone is its twist-and-fold capability which allows for “three exciting modes to match your every move”. This is an invovative idea where the clamshell is not limited to just flip- flop and go to a extend of rotating the LCD upto 270 degrees.

The three modes:
:arrow: Work Mode
:arrow: Camera Mode
:arrow: Browse Mode

# Work Mode:

*nokia.co.in/BaseProject/Sites/INEN_43419/CDA/Categories/Phones/PhoneModels/Nokia9500/_Content/_Static_Files/img_sml_ft_6260_work.jpg

Just opening up the clamshell and using it normally. We can take photos and shoot videos - CAMCORDER STYLE!

# Camera Mode:

*nokia.co.in/BaseProject/Sites/INEN_43419/CDA/Categories/Phones/PhoneModels/Nokia9500/_Content/_Static_Files/img_sml_ft_6260_camera.jpg

The sensor activates the camera when display is twisted to the right or left side of the phone. This is automatic whenever it is turned to 90 deg.

# Browse Mode:

*nokia.co.in/BaseProject/Sites/INEN_43419/CDA/Categories/Phones/PhoneModels/Nokia9500/_Content/_Static_Files/img_sml_ft_6260_browse.jpg

Twisting the display by 180 degrees which has the screen displayed outwards. It gives easy access to the menu, applications and browsing, as well as make and receive calls. Just the second part is not visible.

Apart from the inovation and novelty, there is not much difference. The sensor thing also starts the Camera mode automatically much to my irritation. :x

If you are too slow to swivel the phone 180 degrees to browse mode the cam starts automatically .. which can get a little irritating.

What's really great is you can pretty much use the phone in "Browse Mode" perpetually if you want to!

* Sounds and speakers
The sound output for mp3 is mono and not stereo just like the 7610. It doesnt has bass Which E398 has. The external speaker is clear but quiet and distorts when you approach max volume, better when listening to the radio.But the sound quality is better than 6600, where we cant hear the sound if kept in a pocket (I cant help comparing with 6600, its sound quality is poor) .

The radio reception quality is crystal clear, which is better than my 6610.The radio sounds great and auto tunes into all available stations for you.

The rigntones are available in MIDI (40 chord poly),WAV,MP3 formats.

There is voice recording feature as well.

* Built quality/Keypads

I guess the price of the 6260 is low becoz it's built quality is cheap,(IMO).The phone is made of low grade plactic material....

The phone is rather "decorated" with small tiny "holes" which i dont like. :)

And the design again is very inovative and novel. The keypads quality is good which is also good in nokia phones (barring 1100/3100/33XX).

Many people think the clamshell might break when droped down.This is a myth and the pivotal screw thing mechanism is strong and wont give up easily.

The on/off button is located at the top righthand side corner of the phone, and chances are high that we may press that one accidently.

The only thing that i am noticed is the built quality :

:!: First it is made of a cheap plastic material (i am sure). Just like Hyundai getz where the car was good and the front panel was a ordianary materail leave alone wooden finish or a velvet finish!
:!: The odd location of on/off button.
:!: The processing speed is also not good fast, comparable to 3660. Slows down more as we install more apps.

* Battery Life

This is probably the worst thing about the phone.
The battery lasts 2 days without a charge .. I'd say an approximate of a little over 40-45 hours.
If you plan to use the cam a lot .. don't expect a long lastin battery life .. it'll probably die on u in 8 hours ! For normal users .. you're still safe.

* Bundled Software

Apart from the usual extras/Real One Player
:arrow: QuickPoint
:arrow: QuickWord
:arrow: Mighty Backup
:arrow: Camcorder Pro
:arrow: Ultra MP3
:arrow: FSCaller : Apparently you can use this to block individual numbers. Havent got the chance to try it yet.
:arrow: Facearp
:arrow: CameraFX
:arrow: SmartMovie : No idea. Didnt work on my piece.
:arrow: VPN [Virtual Private Networking

Try And Buy Apps:
:arrow: Actie Desk
:arrow: HExpense
:arrow: PDF+
:arrow: Reader Pro

* Games:
:arrow: Bounce
:arrow: CardDeck
:arrow: Snake EX
:arrow: Micro Pool
:arrow: Agile Figher
:arrow: Bowling
:arrow: Rally Pro

* Special Comments: (Calendar Function)
This was by far the most irritating feature of the 6260. The calendar function no longer includes a "Birthday" function. You have to store them all as an "Anniversary".
As in other nokia symbians the option to add a Birthday ( and a thumbnail ) is there for contacts, But for those "Birthday Reminders" you need to take af ew more pains.
You cannot set the Birthday reminder if the occasion has past for the year. Since a Birthday is a repeated event .. this "FLAW" got on my nerves. Skip ahead to the next year to set it.
Specially beware if you just migrated from a series 40 Nokia !

* Price

Around 17k as compared to 7610's 23k ( because of the cam resolution as i already pointed out before )
Prices may change from city to city. Again, i dont want to get into grudge with mail2and :twisted:

MY opinion:

A worth upgrade if u want to buy a symbian phone and don't already own one. It costs resonable too if you dont mind the 0.3 MP cam.
The 6260 is the only clamshell phone available in india from nokia, and it is feature packed and full loaded. The camera overall did better. Good FM radio reception and a okay sound.

The only worry was its buily quality.
"Knock! knock! Is it nokia? "

I am sure that we cant get a phone which has much features and costs a reasonable amount. It costs only 40-45% of SE P900i.

With the Nokia 6260 it seems that it is finally possible to have a business-orientated phone that retains the stylishness and fun features of a mainstream phone. Even 6610 was business oriented phone but lacked in entertainment features.

People flame me or critise me or tell ur opinion.
The pixs are sourced.

P.s : The later part was written by theraven and i thank him for his contributions.

theraven

Technomancer
thanx grudge :oops:
and well done too

my 2 bits which i couldnt contribute to the review :

abt the build quality:
yeah it seemed very flimsy
and for the first few days i used the phone only in browse mode ...cuz i felt the top shell would break apart if too much force as applied :shock:
however this wasnt the case
the build is stronger than it looks and im confortably usin the phone in work mode now ... and flip it open every time theres a call ;)
ofcourse tha autoanswer on flip is turned off :D

abt the keypad:
this turned to be a disappointment even tho the keys were very good and easy to press.
in work mode using the keys on the upper shell and shifting to use the keys on the lower shell can be tedious
this is specially irriatin while playing games that ould require keys on either shells. stay away if u have small hands.
the 4 way direction keys are nice ... but could be a little difficult to get used to considering the more ergonomic keys .. as seen even on the 6610.
the centre button amongst the directional keys is pretty easy to use and doesnt get in the way.
also u wont press the directional keys by mistake if u want to press the middle button.

My Oipinion:
for a normal user .. despite of the negatives .. still a VERY GOOD option if u dont already own a symbian phone.
i LOVE this phone .. however i dunno why i miss my 6610 a lot :(
while i figure out why ... let ur eyes soak one nokias first clamshell/swivel type symbian phone.
its a beauty isnt it ? ;)

pics from cam comin up soon..
stay tuned

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
Kewl...nicely done 8)

It looks like a good phone, but nuthin cult-like abt it, n i found the screen size a bit small for the features it has :(

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
ahhh nice review grudge!!! and this time it was much moer objective which made 4 good reading....but 4 glaring mistakes:
1. u did not mention the fact that this is a clamshell without an external display...a big handicap.....
2. it weighs 130g: too much 4 a clamshell...notice all the free space below the key pad...nokia could have pushed the function buttons down there and put a bigger screen
3. u said it was the only clamshell available frm nokia in India: wrong....u 4got the old 7200 and the new 2650....
4. u 4got 2 tell abt the hot-swap memory card....u can swap cards without removing the battery....

EDIT: oops....i 4got that the hot swap thing was mentioned in the Specifications...thanx 2 icecoolz 4 pointing that out....so only 3 problems....:lol:

but other than these, a much better review....i love the black color....

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
nemesis:

Memory: internal 6mb and expandable with MMC. The MMC also offers hot swapping i.e, change the MMC without turning off the phone. This is not new feature and already in n gage series mobs.

He actually did mention it.

And Dr G (I like that name!) nice review. Very objective. Thanks mate. Damn the .3 mega pixel is a bummer. I'll stick to my E398 :D

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Tnx to Nemesis and icecoolz, for going thro' the post. Those were good criticism rather than posting "cool", "nice one", "bad" ,"a nokia fanatic"!!!

Nemesis said:
u did not mention the fact that this is a clamshell without an external display...a big handicap.....
I did actually thought of mentioning it, but raven said anyway it is evident from the pictures that it doesnt have a external LCD.

Nemesis said:
u said it was the only clamshell available frm nokia in India: wrong....u 4got the old 7200 and the new 2650....
Raven actually pointed my mistake and we posted:
drgrudge said:
The second clamshell phone by nokia (The second clamshell phone by nokia ( FIrst one being the 7200 ).
But ofcourse, i dint mention 2650 (honestly, i dint know it was available here in india).

Nemesis said:
notice all the free space below the key pad...nokia could have pushed the function buttons down there and put a bigger screen
yeah,dint think fo that, the would have made the select keys button into the second part paving the way for a larger screen. Yes, it would have been better than that silly doted design thing.
Also see that nokia want to reduce the price of mob, as low as possible and hence this design.

-----------
icecoolz said:
And Dr G (I like that name!)
Doctor G! foof, cool :wink:

G

gxsaurav

I personally don't like Clamshell phones cos they are fat, i like slim phones

But still I have to say, except for tha cam & some features this phone is good, although a lot pricy

U forgot to mention how much video recording it can do, unlimited like K700i or limited like K700i limited" mode which records on 1 Min maximum

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
Hey u guys & grudge....

I liked ur review a lot but i was thinkin......the review was gr8, but what about doing Comparative Reviews huh..... wudnt that be kewl....

Actually its comparitive reviews that ppl like more than single reviews.

Like ..say.... in this case we cud have reviewed 2 or 3 clamshell models since the piece being reviewed here was essentialy a clamshell which falls into a particular niche category of Mobs.

Comparing it with its closest rivals, like Motorola Razr V3, Samsung & LG clamshells etc.

You guys doing any of this stuff in the future, id love to help out too :p

Any of you intrested in Video Encoding, can check this out....

:arrow: Which Is The Best Video Codec Out There?

This was my first post, a little review i had done on the major Video Codecs..... :) (Just for Reference :p )

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

maverickrohan said:
I liked ur review a lot but i was thinkin......the review was gr8, but what about doing Comparative Reviews huh..... wudnt that be kewl....

Comparing it with its closest rivals, like Motorola Razr V3, Samsung & LG clamshells etc.
You guys doing any of this stuff in the future, id love to help out too :p
The major problem is that i cant some of the mobs (like 7610, moto razr V3), so it may take time...

But if you are able to get some mobs, then u are welcome to join me, we may review together. But i am ready to post some next week or so... , just tell me the mobs which u can get or review them.

maverickrohan said:
Any of you intrested in Video Encoding, can check this out....

:arrow: Which Is The Best Video Codec Out There?
i did check out that thread, it was a good one and that too a first post...and i too posted that.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
is anybody interested in a review of the nokia 6230??? i just got it yday and if anybody's interested...i can post a review....

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Nemesis said:
is anybody interested in a review of the nokia 6230??? i just got it yday and if anybody's interested...i can post a review....
Of cource, nemi, i wanted to do it, but damn i couldnt get the mobile....
but u got this one... , hey go ahead and post...

krisjr

In the zone
hey nemi do that plz..we all are waiting mate.i will tell some feedback abt this 6260 phone also..it has some flaws....

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

theraven said:
:-o
o my god i completely forgot .. grudge is gonna kill me !!
gimme 24 hours ... i hope i rem to take the pics :D
:oops:
Hmm..., dont worry raven, here's the pic's...

*img111.exs.cx/img111/6660/image047ud.th.jpg
*img111.exs.cx/img111/1584/image056nw.th.jpg

LOL, this was taken by raven from his 6260 and was posted in Disco82 forums , which i ripped neatly :twisted:

psst psst {:whispering:} He posted a third pix also, which he dint want me to post here, so if u want to find what it is, visit disco now...

And between raven's going to post pics taken in bright day light tomorrow, watch out for those! :wink:

lenrox

Tech Savvy UFO
I got some real kewl pics off my N6260.

I love it.. it compliments me. My mood, my attitude !!

Chk this out !

*img304.imageshack.us/img304/5062/image1301fi.th.jpg

*img304.imageshack.us/img304/7816/image0102gg.th.jpg

Though i use a 3rd party CameraFxPro software for pics, to get the instant click & back to back pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom