No Install List!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed VLC Player on my openSuSE10.2 using the VLC's web repository.

Since then, i am not getting my original software install list.
I have installed applications from this DVD installation list in the past, but now, m not getting the list of softwares available for install.
The software installer just gives the message Getting Install List...

And then nothing happens, the list never gets populated.!!

I dont know if i am able to describe the problem, but here's a screenshot of that installer.
*img237.imageshack.us/img237/5011/screenshot1rn7.th.png

Please help me to get that list back.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
^^^^
The Screen shot you gave, not the installed software list....It is web update list...
If you want to see which software you installed in your SUSE, strat Yast[A Green circule with a range Icon] by punching root password...and open 'Software Installation' like option.(I am not in that distro right now, So can't provide the exact option name).

There you found the installed software list....If component installed then you get like 'Tick' or 'Z' type sign.
If you want to see whether your VLC installed or not, Type VLC in the Search Box...or you can view complete list by selecting 'Installed Component Option'.

Last edited:

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ Dissel is right....

Go to control panel (in gnome) then start administrative settings.

There, in the left hand plane select software, in the right hand plane you will see an option "software management"... Click on that... Then search vlc. You will find the stable and beta versions listed. Go for stable version if you want to avoid any trouble. (I have not tested beta)....

And an advise acting on Kalpics comments... Use opensuse updater applet as ZMD is crap.... And I agree, ZMD is infact crap....

Aditya

OP
MysticDews
Thanks for the help but i think i am not able to convey my problem properly..

i dont wanna reinstall VLC, i have it and its running fine...

And the screen shot is of the window where softwares AVAILABLE for install were displayed...NOT the one's already installed...the one's that were available for install from the OS DVD....

So, what i am missing is that list, of the yet uninstalled softwares, which have their repositories on the OS DVD, from where i used to install them before installing this VLC.

How do i get that list back????

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^

If you have added only one repository, that is the videolan one, then you will not find anything in the list, as VLC and related 3-4 S/W are the only things available on the list.

But if you have added any other repos then click on the configure tab, and inside look for the place where you have the list of repos and a checkbox near it. Select it if it is not selected and you will get the list. (I do not have ZMD, so cannot guide you that well).

Again, as I said, use the package management in YaST. It's better than ZMD. The procedure is same as what I have mentioned in my last post. And I think you can get a list of S/W that are not installed yet. You can type *.* and search to get the list, but I can see no point why you want it.

And you can also check if you have switched off the repos. You can do that by going to YaST > Software > Installation Source and then if the repos are disabled, then enable them.

Hope you got what you wanted....

Aditya

OP
MysticDews
^^
Thanks a lot for the help fren...Followed what u said...
Got what i wanted...

Happily using the Software Mgmt Tool, not the ZMD now... :)

Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom