No google in fedora17

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I am using Fedora 17. I am able to open all websites(i guess), but not able to open google. I tried searching through google facility(plugin?) given in browser but same result. Seems like only google is not working.Message is "Cannot resolve www.google.com". What to do now?

Last edited:
OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Thanks. But problem got resolved itself today morning. I didn't do anything. But i want to know how to change DNS. I tried searching it in Start menu(whatever it is called in Fedora) option but nothing came.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
You can change DNS by entering DNS addresses manually in appropriate settings, either in your network adapter or directly in your modem/router settings.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Are you talking about windows? Cause things you are saying looks like in windows, but I don't know how to reach the DNS changer window in fedora17.
I saw things in Network Management but there are lot of fill in the blanks unlike win7

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
It "should" be same in linux. Still, you can change DNS in modem/router itself, and its irrespective of an OS.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can always edit /etc/resolv.conf and add nameservers there.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Thanks dashing.sujay, ico.
this etc/resolve.conf has lot of things to do. I am struggling too much in Linux

Amithansda

Journeyman
I was using Broadband provided by Local Cable walas...sometimes their DNS server is unable to access my office mail exchange..
Resolved this problem keeping 8.8.8.8 as alternate domain server.

Leomistry

Right off the assembly line
You can change DNS by entering DNS addresses manually in appropriate settings, either in your network adapter or directly in your modem/router settings.

Yes you can easily do it manually. But make sure before chaning DNS settings to write down the current server addresses or settings on a piece of paper. It is important for backup purposes.
business broadband

Last edited:
Top Bottom