Nikon D-SLR buying advice.

rakeshmenon

Broken In
@ sujoy... any time bro.. on ur post on 26th regarding distortion of lens:
there are two typs of distortion.
Barrel distortion
In "barrel distortion", image magnification decreases wth distance from the optical axis. The apparent effect is that of an image which has been mapped around a sphere (or barrel). Fisheye lenses, whch tak hemispherical views, utilize this typ of distortion as a way to map an infinitely wide object plane into a finite image area.

Pincushion distortion
In "pincushion distortion", image magnification increases with the distance from the optical axis. The visible effect is that lines that do not go through the centre of the image are bowed inwards, towards the centre of the image, like a pincushion. A certain amount of pincushion distortion is often found with visual optical instruments, e.g. binoculars, where it serves to eliminate the globe effect.

sujoyp

Grand Master
can you explain barral distortion in a simpler way

I understood the 2nd one...Pincushion distortion...the straight line look bent isnt it

Sounava

In the zone
This is barrel distortion: File:Barrel distortion.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is pincushion distortion: File:pincushion distortion.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, depth of field depends on the distance of the background from the subject, and the distance of the subject from the lens.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@rakeshmenon: thats a nice piece of info on f/stops...
so now its clear that low f/stops ex: 1.4 has large opening & high f/stops ex: 8 has small
openings...

Well.. I have read in the manual that the 18-55mm kit lens has a focus adjustment rotatable ring (in the diagram shown) but practically I can't rotate it why?

sujoyp

Grand Master
^^ look for a switch which say MF and AF on the lens...switch to MF and then your front ring of lens will rotate...and dont try to rotate on AF mode...it will damage the motor

rakeshmenon

Broken In
@rakeshmenon: thats a nice piece of info on f/stops...
so now its clear that low f/stops ex: 1.4 has large opening & high f/stops ex: 8 has small
openings...

Well.. I have read in the manual that the 18-55mm kit lens has a focus adjustment rotatable ring (in the diagram shown) but practically I can't rotate it why?

@Zangetsu: i didnt got ur question bro.... can u elobrat it..........

you can go to the link if this helps u....
*www.ehow.com/how_6771842_adjust-focus-camera-lens.html

Last edited:
OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@Zangetsu: i didnt got ur question bro.... can u elobrat it..........

its alright..sujoyp has answered my question ;-)

ok...guys hearing this a lot
Q: locking exposure & No of exposures remaining....I only know that exposure is the +ve & -ve scale values.but how does it help & above terms of it?

sujoyp

Grand Master
I dont have much knowledge about locking exposure but I can tell u that there is a button called AE-L which when pressed ...it locks the exposure reading by keeping it pressed and take another pic keeping it pressed will give u same exposure again

I dono no of exposures...may be its related to shutter count..just a guess

Sounava

In the zone
No. of Exposures remaining = Number of photos you ca take before the SD card is filled :p :D
What you are talking about is Exposure Compensation, in +ve and -ve scale.

sujoyp

Grand Master
he he he I though so...thanks for reminding me whats no of exposures :lol:

No no I am talking about AE-L button on every DSLR...its Exposure Lock button which can also work as focus lock button or AF-L

*media.wiley.com/Lux/07/227307.image0.jpg

kolbywhite28

Broken In
if u get it from someone comming to india then u will loose all boxes and warranty :)

So is it still alright to buy Nikon D-SLR even without warranty? I once tried to buy second hand cameras online but I thought it's not practical and safe without any warranties. Just a thought. :grin:

sujoyp

Grand Master
@kolbywhite28 I think getting a new slr without warranty is fine...but getting a used without inspection is bit difficult...

Champ

.NET Guru
Ok guys, Today visited Canon Experience zone @ Ambiance GGN, and tried few DSLRS for good 30 mins,
Forget getting from US, I will have to Buy a DSLR within one week....

Ok coming to the point, What is Best place to buy Nikon D5100 in New Delhi,
I have been quoted best price of Rs 35300/- with Sealed pack box and bill and 2 years Nikon Warranty by one of the shops in Palika.
Wheres a Nikon Dealer is not willing to go below 38500/-

1. Why is this Price diff of Rs 3000/-
2. Are Palika Shops Reliable.
3. Any other good place to buy - From where you guys get your Stuff

Most probably will be buying this weekend...

SwiftLover

Broken In
Ok guys, Today visited Canon Experience zone @ Ambiance GGN, and tried few DSLRS for good 30 mins,
Forget getting from US, I will have to Buy a DSLR within one week....

Ok coming to the point, What is Best place to buy Nikon D5100 in New Delhi,
I have been quoted best price of Rs 35300/- with Sealed pack box and bill and 2 years Nikon Warranty by one of the shops in Palika.
Wheres a Nikon Dealer is not willing to go below 38500/-

1. Why is this Price diff of Rs 3000/-
2. Are Palika Shops Reliable.
3. Any other good place to buy - From where you guys get your Stuff

Most probably will be buying this weekend...

You can come to know once u verify the serial no. online. Here in Goa, I was offered for 32K with bill and warranty later, when I told him about the online serial no verification(Nikon India) he refused to give that. I have purchased my D5100 from authorized dealer in Goa for 35,500/- with bill and warranty.

In Case ur relatives are in Goa.....u can ask them to buy one for you.

SwiftLover

Broken In
@SwiftLover link for online verification please...

Once you purchase your product..Enter the details..If Nikon accepts the Serial No then its Genuine Product if Not, then its Grey market.

Verify Serial No.

Have you decided on which Nikon product to purchase?

Top Bottom