[NEWS] Gears of War - not coming for PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Well, Epic's Mark Rein has once again devastated PC users . He has denied us Gears of War. He shall pay! Anyway, all this started when someone noticed in a new set of Nvidia drivers that there was an entry for "Gears of War" and so, instead of actually contacting Mark Rein (or CliffyB) about it, people naturally reported that Gears of War was indeed heading to the PC. Many PC users rejoiced and jumped up and down rapidly. Now we have our hopes dashed yet again:

There is no "new information" that Gears will be released on PC. You know console games are developed on PCs, right? Even if we never release Gears of War on PC we still need to run the game on PC to develop and test content for it.

Our first E3 demo, over two years ago, was done on an PC equipped with dual NVIDIA graphics cards. That was how we simulated the power of Xbox 360 before there was actually a real Xbox 360 to run on. (my comment-> wow, thats the power of XBoX 360, just 2 Nvidia in SLi :D:D, then 2 Nvidia 8800 in SLi will kick XBoX 360, in all departments, gfx. speed... :D)

We gave NVIDIA a copy of wargame.exe (along with some sample content from Gears) so they could help us tweak Unreal Engine 3 performance and reliability on NVIDIA graphics chips. That was necessary to make the development tools perform well and ensure that their drivers would support UE3 going forward. That was beneficial because two PC games (Roboblitz and Rainbow Six Vegas) have already shipped for PC and we're planning to ship our next Unreal Tournament game on PC this year as well.

So in reality the only thing this supposed "leak" demonstrates is that we work closely with NVIDIA to ensure the best possible performance for our engine on their platforms. Ditto for ATI and other graphics vendors as well.

Unfortunately none of the site reporting this silliness bothered to ask me for a comment on it

When asked recently in an interview whether I had "any comment on the Windows Vista version of Gears of War?" I replied the following:

There's nothing to announce at this time. We've said all along that, at some point in the future, we could adapt Gears of Wars for PC. Based on past experience we've learned that it takes approximately 5 years for an OS to fully take hold among the gaming population :shock: :D. So unless it takes us 5 years to bring Gears of War to Windows, we certainly expect to keep supporting Windows XP users. For now however Gears is available exclusively on Xbox360 and we're still working on improvements and enhancements to i

VooDoo Extreme

T

thunderbird.117

It will surely come for PC. Halo was exclusive only for console only. Now it came to pc. Many game was exclusive to consoles only. Now most of it was ported to PC.

BTW. Why do you need Gears of War when crysis is coming for only pc :p.

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
i am waiting for Gears of Wars and have decided to upgrade my PC just to play that and also the Assasins...the creed

T

thunderbird.117

pathiks said:
its not comin 4 pc....
i ve been waitin for halo 2 (pc) also....

Halo 2 is only for Windows Vista and you need Vista to play it.

Something is better than nothing. :p

Pathik

Google Bot
yup dude i know that.... jus mentioned that if halo 2 has taken soooo much time tp come to pc then gears of war ll take an eternity... :(

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
gears of war will take time ...bet the console companies will want to milk it for as long as they can.
Whats the news on UT 2007 and Bioshock?

T

thunderbird.117

izzikio_rage said:
gears of war will take time ...bet the console companies will want to milk it for as long as they can.
Whats the news on UT 2007 and Bioshock?

June — Bioshock :- Confirmed by the publisher.
June — Unreal Tournament 2007 :- Confirmed by the publisher.

vmp_vivek

In the zone
^^ For Crysis, I would say you will need 8800 GTX or GTS to play smoothly.

Damn, it's bad that GoW is not coming for PC!

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Hardly a surprise for me.This game turned out to be a milking cow for Microsoft then there was no way in hell that they would allow it to cross platform to the PC.Plus giving an instant PC release for it would not have been a good idea as hardly are there any people with DX10 cards who can run the game in it's full glory.It's better if it stays on the Xbox.Like it was said that Halo sold the Xbox & now Gears of War sold the XBox 360.Somehow I feel that only the Xbox 360 has done great justice to a beautiful game like this.Seems like it has become a trend now for games which were once a PC best sellers have become console only.Take the case of the COD series,a game which the PC had popularised hasn't seen the daylight release of COD3.When the game came out I was like "When the hell did it come out?" "Why isn't it on the PC?" :confused:

Make no mistake about it.These consoles rely on their best seller games to be an exclusive platformer.And only if they shift their priorities the game will somehow make it to the PC.Thank go for MS as they atleast plan to take out Alan Wake for the PC.

T

thunderbird.117

I dont know why you guys are worried about Gears of War when Crysis is awesome and beautiful game. It will defeat Gears of War in all manners.

Personally. Crysis have lot to offer in graphics and gameplay. Go see the video and previews you will understand.

Call of Duty 4 is coming to pc soon. It is not going to be a world war 2 game. It is going to be about modern combat.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
^Dude if you have seen Gears of Wars then you'll know how the game feels like.Crysis is total different ball game.We aren't comparing the game out here but some love it so much that they want it to be ported to the PC ASAP.Crysis still has time to release whereas Gears is out & is still going strong.If you are talking about the graphics department then sure Gears is not a lavish comparison to Crysis but it's not far behind either.They are both based on separate game engines.For once I am thankful that Gears used a separate gameplay approach unlike how the mundane FPS's usually go for(run & gun policy).Visuals are simply outstanding considering the fact the it's based on the Unreal 3 engine which has totally outdone itself.There is a reason this game has hit the jackpot & that is the reason why people without an Xbox 360 are cribbing to get it ported to the PC to atleast feel a glimpse of it.

Last edited:

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
These are the moments when i think the consoles should burn in hell. PC gaming is PC gaming and it can be replaced with some stupid console . Few days back i installed Scarface on my PC , and the game is a pathetic port of the PS2 game , visually it is not impressive to give low frames on a PC which runs oblivion , but it(Scarface) does hit the low choppy frames . But i thought wth lets play , i went to the control config window to set the controls of keyboard and mouse(first thing you do before starting a new game), but what!! bullsh1t you cant change the freakin controls in the game . IDIOTS grrr. I have a game controller with analog sticks which can emulate the PS2 experience of the game , but i dont want to use the gamepad for the games in which i have to aim and shoot , nothing beats the mouse . If i had to play the game like this i wud have played it on a ps2.

Thats why PC gaming is PC gaming nothing beats the experience , but these developers are cutting games on the PC day by day , i'd love to play GEARS on a PC rather than on a idiotic analog aiming console.

T

thunderbird.117

allwyndlima said:
^Dude if you have seen Gears of Wars then you'll know how the game feels like.Crysis is total different ball game.We aren't comparing the game out here but some love it so much that they want it to be ported to the PC ASAP.Crysis still has time to release whereas Gears is out & is still going strong.If you are talking about the graphics department then sure Gears is not a lavish comparison to Crysis but it's not far behind either.They are both based on separate game engines.For once I am thankful that Gears used a separate gameplay approach unlike how the mundane FPS's usually go for(run & gun policy).Visuals are simply outstanding considering the fact the it's based on the Unreal 3 engine which has totally outdone itself.There is a reason this game has hit the jackpot & that is the reason why people without an Xbox 360 are cribbing to get it ported to the PC to atleast feel a glimpse of it.

I know about Gear of war. There is nothing great with it. The game will never be ported for next 5 or more years. Go and see what crysis is about. Then say how the game is.

Read this :-

1. *wiki.incrysis.com/index.php?page=Crysis Gameplay
2. Download some gameplay videos from here :- *incrysis.com/crysis/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=27

and ofcourse both the game are different. They is no need to look over GOW when crysis is here. Even if GOW come it will be only Windows vista exclusive only. Even if GOW come now. It will be pointless. Best thing to do is wait for many more years.

T

thunderbird.117

tarey_g said:
I totally Disagree. A good game is a good game , and if i have two its better.

Fine. People will never be satisfied with anything.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
^And people won't ever give up their habit of comparing 2 great games even if they are paid to say otherwise.:mad:

You seriously don't get it,do you? There is a reason Gears of War was hyped & there is a reason why it became an instant best seller for the console.And the reason is that it was so bloody good.This game was one of the first game which truly gave us the essence of what next generation actually is.This game stood out because it had that instant feeling of being a true next generation material.Take any game released today & compare it to Gears & it will fall flat it front of it(being in the same genre that is).Crysis has generated major hype,agreed.But it still isn't out yet.Just like everyone out here I too am keeping my fingers crossed that it seriously makes a stellar title for this year.Just FYI I have seen the HD trailers,Screenshots,heard the cussing of people against its beauty & what not long before you could ever imagine.Gears has a separate entity of it's own.It doesn't need to be compared with Crysis.If I was given the choice of having to own any one of the 2 games then I would rather not be picky & would select both.Why? simple they both offer great quality content to play.Like I said Gears is already out & kicking whereas Crysis has been boasting it's photo realistic graphics since ages now.Let the game come out & then we'll have a nice chat on it.Until then I would be much happy with Gears of War,Thank You very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom