Newbie in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
I was using slax live cd and when i tried to copy files from one drive to another it gave a error saying that i did not have the permission...... why is it so???? and how do i get the permission

Sykora

I see right through you.
From one drive to another you mean hard drive partitions right? Are you sure they're mounted? If so, they may not be mounted for normal user privilege. Try using sudo, ie $> sudo <whatever command you were trying to use>.

Sykora

I see right through you.
Ah, that must explain it. Is it always that way by default? For Slax, I mean.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
I don't think you will be able to write anything to your hardisk when you run the live CD. You can write to a USB disk though.

OP
codename_romeo

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
guys i was planning to go the linux way.......... suse 10.3 provided by digit turned out to be corrupted....... now which one should i go in for????????

ray|raven

Think Zen.
@Sykora
toor is the default root password for SLAX

@codename_romeo
get ubuntu 7.10.If u have a net connection at home,
as u will need to download some packages to get multimedia support.
Its not compulsory as CadCrazy has a thread with packages that can be installed offline.

However,it would be easier to get Linux Mint as it comes with out-of-the-box functionality.

Regards,
ray

praka123

left this forum longback
@romoeo:Digit Dec issue contains Ubuntu DVD.use it.ubuntu is much user friendly(my opin) and easy to manage esp with software management.also u'll get latest softwares.and Ubuntu uses Gnome which is least confusing.
for ur slax issue if it have kde desktop,go to menu and select "run" then inside run following command: "kdesu konqueror" without quotes.if it asks any passwd give "toor"(reverse of root) and open konqueror browser/file manager.now u can copy or do anything as admin/root privilage.no more permission denied errors. *images.bravenet.com/brpics/smilie/28_spin.gif
refer this guide,if u have patience w.r.t slax :
*www.geocities.com/slaxfansite/

OP
codename_romeo

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
praka123 said:
@romoeo:Digit Dec issue contains Ubuntu DVD.use it.ubuntu is much user friendly(my opin) and easy to manage esp with software management.also u'll get latest softwares.and Ubuntu uses Gnome which is least confusing.
for ur slax issue if it have kde desktop,go to menu and select "run" then inside run following command: "kdesu konqueror" without quotes.if it asks any passwd give "toor"(reverse of root) and open konqueror browser/file manager.now u can copy or do anything as admin/root privilage.no more permission denied errors. *images.bravenet.com/brpics/smilie/28_spin.gif
refer this guide,if u have patience w.r.t slax :
*www.geocities.com/slaxfansite/

Thankx a lot...... this is wat i was searching for.......... digit december issue wil have ubuntu...thats an even better news.....waiting for the december issue to hit market stalls...hopefully the digit wil work without ne errors

I tried the "kdesu konqueror" command..... all it does is open the konqueror window n nothing else......it never asked for any password but it does not allow me to copy paste files.......... any other solution???????

and does the same problem exist with ubuntu n all??????

Actually i can copy files from my primary partion n paste it in every other partition..... but it doesnt work vice versa.....

and i cant paste ne files in those drives which are completely empty.........
i am going nuts!!!!!! hopefully ubuntu n all allow me to copy n paste files freely

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
^it is weird.kdesu konqueror will open konqueror as root.it have to.
i think u can open a terminal(never use konsole,it does not allow X apps)esp xterm or other terminals which are in ur kde menu.then "su -" and press enter give "toor" as password(u wont see anything when u type!still),press enter again.now type konqueror and see whether it opens up as root user.
it is also better to run "xhost +" in xterm before running above commands.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Why don't you ask them to replace your November DVD, or get Open SuSE 10.3 from a LUG (linux user group) near you
*wikiwikiweb.de/LugsList

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom