New Western Digital Green HDD dead??

Shah

Cyborg Agent
I had bought a WD Green 1 TB on June, 2015. It working well until this morning. When I was copying some files from my external HDD to this one (connected as my secondary HDD), I received some "I/O device error" and the copying failed. I did a restart and things got worse.

The HDD partitions were lost. In Disk Management, I can see the HDD as unallocated space. I can neither format it nor create new partition from that unallocated space. Ran HD Tune benchmark and found out that all sectors were affected. I tried swapping SATA cables and power cables, but none worked. So, I guess the HDD is dead.

Since I bought it from a local store, I'm thinking of giving it to the shop vendor to take care of RMA.

If I send it for RMA, Will I receive a replacement or just have the same HDD repaired? In both cases, Is there any way to get back my data? I tried running EaseUS data recovery and a few others. But, couldn't recover anything.

[MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION] [MENTION=295989]Lincon_WD[/MENTION] Can you guys help me out?

$hadow

Geek in making
Recuva can help with data recovery if I remember the name correctly. Plus if you have filled for RMA shoot DK one PM so that he can help you with more ease.

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Recuva can help with data recovery if I remember the name correctly. Plus if you have filled for RMA shoot DK one PM so that he can help you with more ease.

I have already removed the HDD and packed it. So, can't try Recuva now. I do have backups of my important files on cloud. The other data on my HDD can be downloaded (which may take a few months or may be a year :p ). So, Data recovery is not that important.

Anyway, have tagged [MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION] and [MENTION=295989]Lincon_WD[/MENTION] in OP. Will PM them if necessary. :)

Will return the HDD to the store from where I bought. The store keeper had once said to me that he will take care of RMA if anything goes wrong. Let's see what happens.

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=129731]Shah[/MENTION],

I am sorry to hear about it. For RMA service, you may refer the link below. This link will help you to understand the RMA process in WD:

Support Answers

For more information about warranty support, you may visit to: Support Answers

For your information, you can use our RMA service via website, call and email us for your request. Our support team will happy to help you.

The following link has details of India support team:

Support Answers

If I send it for RMA, Will I receive a replacement or just have the same HDD repaired?

You can refer the link below for getting the more information regarding the RMA process in WD.

*www.digit.in/forum/hardware-q/191400-wd-1tb-green-hdd-problem.html#post2226576

Hope this information helps you :)

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
That means you will be getting the RMA only and no data recovery :mrgreen:

Yeah, it seems. :D But, I'd be happy if they can tell me why the HDD failed so soon (within two months of purchase.)

I am sorry to hear about it. For RMA service, you may refer the link below. This link will help you to understand the RMA process in WD:

Support Answers

For more information about warranty support, you may visit to: Support Answers

For your information, you can use our RMA service via website, call and email us for your request. Our support team will happy to help you.

The following link has details of India support team:

Support Answers

You can refer the link below for getting the more information regarding the RMA process in WD.

*www.digit.in/forum/hardware-q/191400-wd-1tb-green-hdd-problem.html#post2226576

Hope this information helps you :)

Thanks for replying. That answered all my queries.

Visiting the store now. Will update what happens after that.

- - - Updated - - -

So, after verifying that the HDD is not working. The shop keeper told that he will send it for RMA and call me when the replacement drive arrives. :)

$hadow

Geek in making
Why didn't you did that on your own? Doing RMA by yourself would have been a lot better than just trusting a third person in my point of view.

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Why didn't you did that on your own? Doing RMA by yourself would have been a lot better than just trusting a third person in my point of view.

Well, First of all, I'm not from a city. I guess you know the service provided by manufacturers is not the same for people in cities and people from non-cities (town or rural). I have had a really bad experience even with reputed brands like HP and Sony. I'd have claimed the Warranty myself if I had been from a city.

Being an engineering student, I don't have much time these days. So, I can't keep calling the manufacturer every now and then to check what they are up to. (that happened with HP. It took them two months to replace a laptop which I reported as faulty on Day 1 of usage. That too after me calling them daily. :-x )

Also, I know the shopkeeper very well. Then, why not trust him?

IMO, for guys from town like me, when the product is in warranty, Giving them back to the local store from where you bought will be best bet for warranty claim.

$hadow

Geek in making
Well, First of all, I'm not from a city. I guess you know the service provided by manufacturers is not the same for people in cities and people from non-cities (town or rural). I have had a really bad experience even with reputed brands like HP and Sony. I'd have claimed the Warranty myself if I had been from a city.

Being an engineering student, I don't have much time these days. So, I can't keep calling the manufacturer every now and then to check what they are up to. (that happened with HP. It took them two months to replace a laptop which I reported as faulty on Day 1 of usage. That too after me calling them daily. :-x )

Also, I know the shopkeeper very well. Then, why not trust him?

IMO, for guys from town like me, when the product is in warranty, Giving them back to the local store from where you bought will be best bet for warranty claim.
If you trust him than it is no problem.

DK_WD

WD Official
Thanks for replying. That answered all my queries.

Visiting the store now. Will update what happens after that.

- - - Updated - - -

So, after verifying that the HDD is not working. The shop keeper told that he will send it for RMA and call me when the replacement drive arrives. :)

I am glad to hear it! If ever you need help with WD products, just reach out to me or tag me here, I'm always just a PM away :)

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
If you trust him than it is no problem.
Exactly, If the shopkeeper is trustworthy, there shouldn't be any problem.

I am glad to hear it! If ever you need help with WD products, just reach out to me or tag me here, I'm always just a PM away :)

Sure, I'll let you know if I get any information from the shopkeeper. :)

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
[MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION] So, I visited the shopkeeper and asked him what had happened. He said that he hasn't heard anything from WD yet though he sent it that day itself. May I know long it usually takes to reply back?

DK_WD

WD Official
[MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION] So, I visited the shopkeeper and asked him what had happened. He said that he hasn't heard anything from WD yet though he sent it that day itself. May I know long it usually takes to reply back?

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please refer the link below for RMA process. The link will help you to understand the WD replacement process:

Support Answers

If it's possible, can you please provide me all the details of your RMA case.

Example: RMA number, Email, Phone no. and etc

I’ll try to escalate to the service operations team via my manager and a real big thanks for your trust in us.

Last edited:
OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please refer the link below for RMA process. The link will help you to understand the WD replacement process:

Support Answers

If it's possible, can you please provide me all the details of your RMA case.

Example: RMA number, Email, Phone no. and etc

I’ll try to escalate to the service operations team via my manager and a real big thanks for your trust in us.

I don't have the RMA number. Will ask the shopkeeper and let you know soon.

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
[MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION] replied to your PM.

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION] I just contacted the shopkeeper. He said that WD has dispatched the replacement HDD already. He will most probably receive it tomorrow. So, I guess my issue is resolved. Anyway, Thanks for your time and patience. :)

I'll update once I collect the HDD from the shop.

DK_WD

WD Official
[MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION] I just contacted the shopkeeper. He said that WD has dispatched the replacement HDD already. He will most probably receive it tomorrow. So, I guess my issue is resolved. Anyway, Thanks for your time and patience. :)

I'll update once I collect the HDD from the shop.

That's good news, glad to hear it! If ever you need help with WD products, just reach out to me or tag me here, I'm always just a PM away :)

Top Bottom