New Vista Update for SP1 Systems may disable more hacks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Just a few moments ago, Windows Update on my SP1 RTM lappy shown me a new update : KB940510. Its description on MS site is:

INTRODUCTION
This update enables Windows Vista to detect activation exploits that bypass product activation and that interfere with usual Windows operation. An exploit is a form of software that replaces or modifies authentic Windows components. When exploits are present on a system, it indicates that a software or hardware vendor may have tampered with genuine Windows to enable the sale of counterfeit software. Therefore, the security and the privacy of the computer are put at risk. After this update is installed, you will know if exploits are present on the system.

To obtain this update, visit the following Microsoft Web site, or enable the Automatic Update feature to install the latest updates:
*www.update.microsoft.com (*www.update.microsoft.com)
Note Installing this update does not affect the functionality of your operating system.
MORE INFORMATION
This update for Windows Vista detects exploits that may be present on a system. An exploit bypasses licensing and activation. This behavior allows for counterfeit copies of Windows Vista to run without ever having to be activated. Activation exploits make alterations to key Windows system files. These exploits affect both system stability and security.

When the update is installed, no functionality of your operating system will be affected. If no exploits are detected, the update silently exits. If exploits are detected, you will be provided a link to a Web site that describes how you can remove the exploits. When the exploits are removed, you may be asked to use a valid product key to activate your copy of Windows. If you do not want to remove the exploits, Windows may disable the exploits and then ask you to use a valid product key to activate Windows.

SP1 disabled all the previous OEM bios and rearm exploits and now this one seems to disable those which came into existence to crack SP1 systems.

The date of last review on page is February 26, 2008 so maybe its an old update. If so ignore this thread.
source: *support.microsoft.com/kb/940510

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
i am not in very immediate in need of sp1.. i can wait until h@ck3R`s can find a way around those SP1`s........ hi hi hi hi :-D

@nish: Ya that is unavoidable i think, Microsoft is doing what they can, and what they should. I know cracks for sp1 are out there, but i think this update is targeted for them.

@naveen: i think what you need is already out :-D cant say more here :-D

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
i'd like to tell microsoft to use Syncrosoft Dongle Protection-it stands uncracked till now (from last 2 years though previous one was cracked)
if only they listen

narangz

Web developer
Yeah I got the update. Check out the snip.
*img297.imageshack.us/img297/7581/capturerb6.th.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom