New to linux.... help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Guys most of u know i'm very new to linux. Even i asked questions regarding this. But i cant understand how to do it even after getting so many suggestions and even after reading so many guides.

I DONT KNOW TO INSTALL APPs IN LINUX!

Day before yesterday i got the Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn from ShipIt. I'm happy with it and now i'm running it on my system. I happy to see that i've installed it without hassle. I wanted to play mp3s so i downloaded the GStremer Codecs and XMMS from Add/Remove from the Ubuntu Menu. But i want to install other applications that i've got in Digit CD/DVDs. And even i think its not a great idea for installing all the applicaitons from the net..

Please help me guys... mehul are u there??? U r the key person who helped me while i didn't know to install LINUX

praka123

left this forum longback
use menu System>administration>Synaptic Package manager.
^^ give ur password.
Dont search www for packages instead,go to *ubuntuforums.org
^^ get new repositories,add to ur /etc/apt/sources.list
^^ also *ubuntuguide.org
:)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Digit and other magazines usually give the applications in source form. And most of the times they don't give the required dependencies for those applications. There are usually three types of distros - red hat based, debian based and source based. For more on it check the stickies, there's a whole thread on it.
Ubuntu is a debian based distro and it uses deb packages. Use synaptic to install/remove packages, as pointed out by prakash.
And please give better titles to the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom