New telecom policy: It's going to be consumer first

Status
Not open for further replies.

[lokesh]

Journeyman
The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) is preparing a new telecom policy (NTP) to replace the existing one. One of the main highlights of the NTP would be its focus on customer-related issues.

In order to benefit consumers, the draft new telecom policy says that number portability would be implemented within one year of announcing the policy. Number portability would allow a subscriber to change telecom operators, even as they retain their numbers.

The draft policy also envisages implementing carrier access code (CAC) so that customers have the choice to select their own ISD and STD operators.

The draft policy envisages allowing private telecom operators to provide broadband access through the fixed line network of MTNL and BSNL.

I guess this is what we have been waiting for. Now the private operators have a fair chance to compete in the telecom industry. I think BSNL & MTNL have to do something more when this new policy is out..

Source

Insane Devil

Right off the assembly line
god! finally we get to hear of these things in India! finally! and i hope they hurryup their pace to launch the 3G mobile services too!

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Yeah .. MNP is being mooted for some time now .. Cellphone companies were given time to ready their infrastructure and all .. A broad policy on MNP is expected to be announced in next budget ..

kato

Karthiksn
i guess this will urge bsnl to make their broadband unlimited without CAPs on low rates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom