The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: No heavy gaming at all. I'll be mainly using it as a primary workstation for software development and occasional movies. VMWare Workstation, Photoshop occasionally.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Overall budget: 15-20K.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 8.1/ might upgrade to Windows 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I have a 500 GB HDD.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: I have Samsung SyncMaster 740N monitor and do not intend to purchase another one.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I already have 8+4 GB of RAM ( 4GBx2 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM (Transcend) + 2GBx2 1333MHz ZION). I also have monitor, keyboard, mouse and HDD.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Preferably by the end of this month.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I have previously added/removed heatsink/processor and RAM modules with the help of YouTube videos. As such I'd be able to do it myself provided there are tutorials available.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Mumbai/Thane. Would prefer buying online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I need a good processor, PSU and cabinet (I don't care much about the cabinet, preferable as cheap as possible).
Offtopic:
I currently have a second generation i3 processor and Intel DH55TC Board, but it's currently having an issue (one beep; successful POST) but no display. Tried removing RAM slots, heatsinks, processors and swapping RAM module positions but it didn't work. I think I might need to upgrade my configuration now, hence this post.

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Processor - AMD FX 6300 -7500,
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 -4700,
PSU - Antec VP550 -3900,
RAM - Corsair Value Select 8GB(4GBx2) 1600Mhz -4000. (10 year warranty)
Cabinet -Antec X1-T -3000.
TOTAL -23,100.

Sell off the existing Transcend & Zion RAMS and buy the cabinet using the money. OK.
Corsair have excellent products of high consistency.

OP
The Conqueror

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Processor - AMD FX 6300 -7500,
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 -4700,
PSU - Antec VP550 -3900,
TOTAL -23,100.

Sell off the existing Transcend & Zion RAMS and buy the cabinet using the money. OK.
Corsair have excellent products of high consistency.
Is it worth it? I bought Transcend 1333 MHz 4GB x 2 just today only for my motherboard. Unfortunately the problem appears to be with my motherboard. Hence, I need a new PSU, processor and motherboard. I don't think upgrading RAM to 1600 MHz will make any significant difference.

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking of buying Intel Dual Core G-3220 4th generation + ASUS/GigaByte Motherboard. Without the RAM I might be able to afford i5 4440

- - - Updated - - -

I currently do not have a discrete GPU.

So if I opt for: MSI B85M-G43 Motherboard + Intel i5 4th generation 4400 + my old monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 740N) would it work? Can I use my older PSU iBall SMPS Power Supply LPS223-400 ATX?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I don't think upgrading RAM to 1600 MHz will make any significant difference.

You are absolutely correct.. Unless you are using APU, RAM clockspeed makes absolutely no difference at all.. you will barely see 1 fps difference between different RAM modules..
I dont have a good recommendation but Im sure others can help

So if I opt for: MSI B85M-G43 Motherboard + Intel i5 4th generation 4400 + my old monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 740N) would it work? Can I use my older PSU iBall SMPS Power Supply LPS223-400 ATX?

This isnt recommended, you should buy a good PSU.. A good psu is always reusable, so even if you ever upgrade in the future, you can reuse your older one

OP
The Conqueror

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
You are absolutely correct.. Unless you are using APU, RAM clockspeed makes absolutely no difference at all.. you will barely see 1 fps difference between different RAM modules..
I dont have a good recommendation but Im sure others can help

This isnt recommended, you should buy a good PSU.. A good psu is always reusable, so even if you ever upgrade in the future, you can reuse your older one

Thanks! Is UPS necessary? I mean, power cuts are not so frequent here in Mumbai region. I do have a Intex 600VA UPS but it is substandard and I'd avoid using that. Also do I need to set up a new electrical board 3-pin socket on my wall or should I use the normal electrical board for plugging in PSU cord?

- - - Updated - - -

And again, what is the difference in quality between Antec and Corsair PSUs? How much do I need? Also I have an iBall cabinet, will the smps and desktop board mount well or do I need to buy another cabinet?

This is how my current cabinet looks like iBall Entizer Mid Level Designer Computer Cabinet+SMPS Inch Bays: 3 External bays 3.5 Inch Bays: 5 Internal bays Motherboard Form Factors: Standard ATX & Micro-ATX motherboards Front USB Ports: 2 Front USB Ports Front Audio Ports: 1 Audio-out Jack + 1 Mic-in jack Cooling Fans: Bundled with 2 x 8cm cooling fan Extra Cooling Fan Provision: Provision for 1 more extra cooling fan Power Supply: iBall LPE/LPS 223-400 (250 W) power supply Heat Vent: Heat-vent chimney technology for better air flow Available Colours: Black-Red Dimensions: 16.7 x 7 x 17.5 inches (H x W x D)

Nerevarine

Incarnate
^
1) If you have no power surges in your area and no power cuts, I suppose you can skip the UPS but I wouldnt reccommend it myself because I have suffered for that decision ..
2) I use the PSU cord directly attached to the wall socket, I dont like splitting it because it leads to earthing problems for me (cabinet walls give a mild electric shock if i do that)
3) For your rig, you can go for Antec VP450p, try to avoid Corsair VS450
4) All Cabinets can accomodate ATX power supply..

OP
The Conqueror

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
^
1) If you have no power surges in your area and no power cuts, I suppose you can skip the UPS but I wouldnt reccommend it myself because I have suffered for that decision ..
2) I use the PSU cord directly attached to the wall socket, I dont like splitting it because it leads to earthing problems for me (cabinet walls give a mild electric shock if i do that)
3) For your rig, you can go for Antec VP450p, try to avoid Corsair VS450
4) All Cabinets can accomodate ATX power supply..

1) Please recommend a good UPS!
3) What about Antec VP 550, considering that I could be using upto 12GB of DDR-3 RAM?

- - - Updated - - -

Is Intex 600VA UPS good enough?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
1) Numeric 600VA or APC 600 VA
2) Antec VP450P is sufficient for your needs.. It can easily accomodate an i5 + a mid range GPU like R9 270X.. If you buy a higher end GPU, go for VP550p. RAM slots are insignificant and cosume upto 1.5 v of power only

Your Intex UPS will handle your rig, as long as you dont have a taxing GPU.. Ideally if your UPS is causing problems, you can go to any Exide service center and replace it's battery and it will be as good as new.. On top of that they will accept your old battery and give you a Rs 150-200 discount
I had an old Intex 600 va ups, i replaced it's battery with a 1000 va UPS battery and it has been running without any problems so far

Last edited:
OP
The Conqueror

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
1) Numeric 600VA or APC 600 VA
2) Antec VP450P is sufficient for your needs.. It can easily accomodate an i5 + a mid range GPU like R9 270X.. If you buy a higher end GPU, go for VP550p. RAM slots are insignificant and cosume upto 1.5 v of power only

Your Intex PSU will handle your rig, as long as you dont have a taxing GPU.. Ideally if your UPS is causing problems, you can go to any Exide service center and replace it's battery and it will be as good as new.. On top of that they will accept your old battery and give you a Rs 150-200 discount
I had an old Intex 600 va ups, i replaced it's battery with a 1000 va UPS battery and it has been running without any problems so far
That's great. So I'll go ahead with VP450P since I'll be using the onboard graphics.
Okay, so I have finalized Intel i5 4400, but I am not sure about the desktop board now.

- - - Updated - - -

Antec VP450P I 450 Watts PSU - Antec : Flipkart.com
One of the reviewers mentioned "The power cord has the UK standard BS 1363 plug.". Where can I find a compatible plug for this one?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
your cheapest option based on your requirement is a B85 based motherboard, typically something like this
But going for a better motherboard like H97 based gives a much better upgrade path, but strictly based on what your needs are, a B85 will suffice..
Im tagging some people that have better idea about this[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION]

EDIT: MSI H97 PC Mate Motherboard - MSI : Flipkart.com

this looks like a very very good motherboard for it's price, can anyone confirm ?

One of the reviewers mentioned "The power cord has the UK standard BS 1363 plug.". Where can I find a compatible plug for this one?

A compatible powercord costs Rs 30 in your local computer shop, even if you cant find a powercord.. you can buy an adapter

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
That's great. So I'll go ahead with VP450P since I'll be using the onboard graphics.
Okay, so I have finalized Intel i5 4400, but I am not sure about the desktop board now.
- - - Updated - - -

Processor - Intel Core i5 4440 -11000,
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H -5000,
PSU - Antec VP450 -2500,
TOTAL -25,500.

For UPS you can go with APC 600VA UPS @ 2100.

Where can I find a compatible plug for this one?

Here is the link for the Main Power Cord:Power Cord (SMPS,Monitor) In India - Shopclues Online

OP
The Conqueror

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
I would prefer desktop board to be as cheap as possible, since I'm only going to use it for a year, and no, I won't be needing crossfire support and I'd be using only the onboard graphics. The Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 looks to be cheaper at 4.7K. Although I could extend my budget a little more to accomodate for H97, but I think if Gigabyte provides all that I need, I can save my dad's money.
When I get a job, I'll probably buy a new one with my own money :)

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I would prefer desktop board to be as cheap as possible, since I'm only going to use it for a year, and no, I won't be needing crossfire support and I'd be using only the onboard graphics. The Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 looks to be cheaper at 4.7K. Although I could extend my budget a little more to accomodate for H97, but I think if Gigabyte provides all that I need, I can save my dad's money.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 -3500,
PSU - Antec VP450 -2500,
TOTAL -24,000.

For UPS you can go with APC 600VA UPS @ 2100.

Here is the link for the Main Power Cord:Power Cord (SMPS,Monitor) In India - Shopclues Online

OP
The Conqueror

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity

The processor is available for about 13.5K on Flipkart! Where is it available for 11K? :O
Hmm, well can I use my the power cord that came with the iBall SMPS :p ? I won't need that then.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
The processor is available for about 13.5K on Flipkart! Where is it available for 11K? :O
Hmm, well can I use my the power cord that came with the iBall SMPS :p ? I won't need that then.

Processor - Intel Core i5 4440 -12900,
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 -3300,
PSU - Antec VP450 -2100,
Cabinet -Antec X1-T -2600,
UPS -APC 600VA UPS -2100.
TOTAL -27,000.

All prices are sourced from snapdeal where 7% discount is available for all computer components.

PS: The above prices are with 7% discount otherwise it would have crossed 30k

OP
The Conqueror

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
I have never shopped with SnapDeal before and the case where they shipped a vim bar instead of mobile makes me even more nervous.The big Snapdeal screw up: Man orders smartphone, gets bar of soap instead - Firstpost
The 7% Discount sounds good though! So I'm thinking of TheITWares and Flipkart. Sadly WS Retail does not sell processors themselves.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I have never shopped with SnapDeal before and the case where they shipped a vim bar instead of mobile makes me even more nervous.The big Snapdeal screw up: Man orders smartphone, gets bar of soap instead - Firstpost
The 7% Discount sounds good though!

I ordered a CPU cooler from snapdeal where I returned it and got my money back but it should be done within 15 days. So dont worry.

Nerevarine

Incarnate

that motherboard isnt even for intel processors, you cannot use it.. your requirement is atleast 3 ram slots, so H81 based motherboards are out of the question, the lowest you are supposed to get is B85

- - - Updated - - -

Processor - Intel Core i5 4440 -12900,
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 -3300,
PSU - Antec VP450 -2100,
Cabinet -Antec X1-T -2600,
UPS -APC 600VA UPS -2100.
TOTAL -27,000.

All prices are sourced from snapdeal where 7% discount is available for all computer components.

PS: The above prices are with 7% discount otherwise it would have crossed 30k

Please do tell what benefit he will recieve from getting a new pair of RAM

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
that motherboard isnt even for intel processors, you cannot use it.. your requirement is atleast 3 ram slots, so H81 based motherboards are out of the question, the lowest you are supposed to get is B85
- - - Updated - - -
Please do tell what benefit he will receive from getting a new pair of RAM

By getting Corsair 2x4GB RAM kit he can use H81 Mobo and Transcend & Zion RAM are susceptible to failure so its better to sell them now and buy the best RAM ie. Corsair Value Select.

Top Bottom