New Search Engine Cuil Takes Aim At Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
There's a big new search engine launching Monday: Cuil. Developed and run by the husband-and-wife team of Stanford professor Tom Costello and former Google search architect Anna Patterson, it's pitched as bigger, faster, and better than Google's flagship search engine in pretty much every way. See video interview with Tom Costello, below.
I have not had a chance to spend much time with the engine. I'm getting open access to it the same time you are. I did get a preview. It's a very serious effort, and it has enough funding to get off the ground and become a player.
The most important difference between Cuil and Google is its ranking system. Rather than assigning priority to pages based on inbound links as Google does ("Pagerank"), Cuil analyzes the content of Web pages to divine their relevance to a search query. Costello bristled when I asked if this was a semantic search engine like PowerSet (recently sold to Microsoft). Costello said Cuil's search is "contextual," and that, "we're trying to understand the real world, not the Web.

SOURCE

Check CUIL @ www.cuil.com

In my opinion, this new search engine looks cool but it's functionality is nowhere near Google or even Live search. :rolleyes:

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ Even that page is not opening for me. I guess they lack horse power right now. Still, if the technology is good, then I'm looking forward to using it,

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^It loaded once..
Now its not. I tried searching for "Mac4Lin" and it returned 0 results :|

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
We’ll be back soon...

Due to overwhelming interest, our Cuil servers are running a bit hot right now. The search engine is momentarily unavailable as we add more capacity.

Thanks for your patience.
ha ha.

well, atleast it is not just timing out.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
If it will index my posts also and not only my domain name, then I will shift to it.

I wrote a review on it today at my blog ;)
it says that it is ten times better than google he he lol
its search result quality is worse and the servers are damn slow

@ajaybc many terms were giving 0 results at the first few mins of its launch :p
I tested many good terms and ended with microsoft and hopefully got a result lol

nvidia

-----ATi-----
That keyword gives 17,718 results.May be u typed it wrong

Anyway teh site looks very cool
Hmm.. I guess i typed it wrong.

Anyways, i used it today to search for a lot of things, but this thing didn't help. Only if you use specific keywords, then it'll return a few good results. Otherwise its all crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom