New Rig Query

Just saying, but if you need a good panel because your work will end up in printed images, you absolutely need a display that can do a very high percentage of Adobe RGB and preferably 100% sRGB at the very least. You will want accurate greens and blues because humans are comparatively very sensitive to those spectrum bands.

NTSC, or rather the YIQ colour space, is not used in any kind of image processing in computers. So a claim to meet 50% or 70% of NTSC spec is largely meaningless because

1. you will be unable to find any kind of general purpose display driver that supports YIQ and
2. YIQ is a notoriously difficult colour space to render correctly, which is why digital broadcast solutions as well as some NTSC variants switched to YUV for their transmissions.

There are probably plenty of transformation formulae to convert YIQ to RGB, but they're useless because the software you will use to create your renders will likely work in RGB. So look at RGB colour accuracy (this includes Rec. 709 and Rec. 2020/Rec. 2100).

Of course, I only mention this because it seems that colour accuracy is important to your work, but if it isn't then anything that has a decent-looking screen will do.
Those 70% NTSC panels usually cover 100% sRGB & like 70% ARGB, so its fine. You can't get anything much better on a laptop, except those 4K OLEDs.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
*www.amazon.in/dp/B08CFSS78G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_oIiYFbT0QPDQV
The zephyrus g14 white is 115k and adding to that 8k for a drawing tablet, this brings me a total of 123k.
The screen here is not oled or 4k but is 120hz, 100%srgb, and pantone validation. The hs variant cpu and maxq gpu shouldn't generate more heat compared to h series processors and rtx 2060. How much performance hit will I take if I go for this?
How is the word of mouth feedback on this and how are the after sales?

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Those 70% NTSC panels usually cover 100% sRGB & like 70% ARGB, so its fine. You can't get anything much better on a laptop, except those 4K OLEDs.
The thing is, unless the manufacturer explicitly claims that 100% sRGB is covered, you could have 16.8m colours but a part of it lying outside the sRGB space but still within the visible spectra.

I do agree that getting colour accuracy in a laptop is a tall order though. Perhaps OP could get a separate monitor and save money on the screen?

*www.amazon.in/dp/B08CFSS78G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_oIiYFbT0QPDQV
The zephyrus g14 white is 115k and adding to that 8k for a drawing tablet, this brings me a total of 123k.
The screen here is not oled or 4k but is 120hz, 100%srgb, and pantone validation. The hs variant cpu and maxq gpu shouldn't generate more heat compared to h series processors and rtx 2060. How much performance hit will I take if I go for this?
How is the word of mouth feedback on this and how are the after sales?

Speaking purely from personal, i.e. anecdotal experience, I prefer to stay the **** away from Asus laptops. I bought two cheap models for my office, and both started showing problems after 6-8 months. Another laptop my brother bought for college from their more premium lineup (I forget if it was a zenbook, but it was an ultraportable that costed 70k at the time) and its power adapter fried within months. Then a cousin bought an ROG model with a Ryzen 4000 series APU and I think a 1660 and he complains that the battery drains within a couple of hours and it slows to a crawl if the power plug is taken out.

I'm definitely not buying an Asus as my next laptop.

The thing is, unless the manufacturer explicitly claims that 100% sRGB is covered, you could have 16.8m colours but a part of it lying outside the sRGB space but still within the visible spectra.

I do agree that getting colour accuracy in a laptop is a tall order though. Perhaps OP could get a separate monitor and save money on the screen?

Speaking purely from personal, i.e. anecdotal experience, I prefer to stay the **** away from Asus laptops. I bought two cheap models for my office, and both started showing problems after 6-8 months. Another laptop my brother bought for college from their more premium lineup (I forget if it was a zenbook, but it was an ultraportable that costed 70k at the time) and its power adapter fried within months. Then a cousin bought an ROG model with a Ryzen 4000 series APU and I think a 1660 and he complains that the battery drains within a couple of hours and it slows to a crawl if the power plug is taken out.

I'm definitely not buying an Asus as my next laptop.
There are very few panels in laptop, most good ones are by LG, AU Optronics or BOE models with similar specs. From all the reviews I have seen, they do target 100% sRGB, but might come short a bit, say at 95-98% sRGB. Similarly, contrast also varies a bit but mostly its 800-1300. Sadly many manufacturers don't claim much about colour accuracy & stuff, some have that NTSC rating mentioned that's it. If you want something highly accurate, look for professional ext monitors, but for most content creators, these panels suffice.

All gaming laptops run at full performance when plugged in. My best guess is that the battery will be too expensive if you put a battery capable of 120+W output like the AC adapters. So in battery, it throttles hard & gaming isn't recommended. It should still be fine for normal usage. Many gaming laptops provide just 2-3hrs of battery life, at best 4hrs. Those with 90Wh battery can go up to 6hrs.

Currently seeing the problems me & my friends face from Dell laptops, I'm blindly asking people to not buy their high performance laptops. Multimedia laptops are still fine though. But after sales service is noticeably worse now. Recently they took 1 week to confirm my part replacement order after payment, I mean how hard is that. I had to escalate the issue to get order confirmation. Not to forget their pathetically slow response.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Honestly speaking, after using my Thinkpad T460p for almost 5 years now, I don't think I will buy any other type of laptop.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Hey everyone,
The new predator helios has arrived. So should go with this intel config or get the omen 15 only?

Hey everyone,
The new predator helios has arrived. So should go with this intel config or get the omen 15 only?
Link??

Edit: Got this:
*store.acer.com/en-in/laptops/gamin...h-39-6-cm-15-6-inches-fhd-ips-display-2-3-kgs

It seems good as it's using an 8 core i7 (not sure why Intel didn't name those i9 for ease, like i9 10870H would have been if not i9 10970H). GPU might be 90W.

Problem with 2020 Helios 300 was thermals, yes, because undervolting is completely disabled unlike 2019 model which did wonders with undervolting factory installed. Find if you can undervolt Helios (2020) now as other manufacturers have a switch in BIOS to enable it, if it is disabled.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
2020 helios is 109k but I read somewhere that those 2060 gpu aren't that good.
How is acer's service support?

The nitro 5 5600h has a better 3060 model but then I'll have to buy huion drawing monitor for around 20k to make it color accurate.
In case the screen is 100 srgb then I can do with just regular drawing tablet.

How do you weigh the omen 15 and the 117k qhd g14 in this? Can 4800hs keep up with other processors?

2020 helios is 109k but I read somewhere that those 2060 gpu aren't that good.
How is acer's service support?

The nitro 5 5600h has a better 3060 model but then I'll have to buy huion drawing monitor for around 20k to make it color accurate.
In case the screen is 100 srgb then I can do with just regular drawing tablet.

How do you weigh the omen 15 and the 117k qhd g14 in this? Can 4800hs keep up with other processors?
Elaborate on 2060 GPU not being good. My laptop has a RTX 2060 & it is a good GPU, was a great choice earlier for 1-1.2 lakhs. Acer's after sales are ok, not as good as big 3 - Dell, Lenovo & HP. Recently for my Dell laptop, making the service guys understand my exact problem took 1 month or so. A friend has Helios 300 (2019) that needed a fan replacement, happened fast enough. He did buy the extended warranty. So it can vary somewhat.

No idea about drawing monitor & stuff, but my Acer VG240Yp has a 100% sRGB panel for 14k, it's a 24" 1080p 144Hz monitor. I mostly WFH, so it's not an issue.

Not sure about the QHD panel of G14. 4800HS is faster than 6 core options, so there's that.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
This is the drawing monitor with 120%srgb. It is 27k on amazon and 22k on flipkart.
*www.amazon.in/dp/B085DSQK8G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_2DYQ58SZX762KQEBZ62Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I am planning to buy new tablet so I thought if colour accuracy is an issue in budget laptops then maybe I should buy something like this to lock in both monitor and tablet.

This is the g14
*www.amazon.in/dp/B08CGTB73J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_JZRBDFRPGQ1883MBNKW1

The qhd variant with 4900hs and 2060 is 138k. At that price omen 15 makes more sense at 121k.

I remember reading somewhere the 2060 maxq is an underwhelming gpu. I guess they want it to be as good as the desktop version.

At 116k both g14 and new predator are great value. 3060 will eons ajead if 1660 ti maxq there's no doubt about that but how good will 10870h be against 4800hs?

I'd expect i7 10870H to perform similar to R7 4800HS at higher power draw & temp as Ryzen is more efficient. Say an undervolted i7 at 60W will most likely outperform 4800HS.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Word is around that the 10870h in helios 300 has 2 of its cores disabled can you conform this? If thats true then omen 15 and the newly launched legion 5 are the only option.

Does the tuf a15 have any problems besides its colour accuracy. I could get the huion kamvas 13 with it to complete the setup.
Though I doubt that the 103k config will have 16gb ram.

Word is around that the 10870h in helios 300 has 2 of its cores disabled can you conform this? If thats true then omen 15 and the newly launched legion 5 are the only option.

Does the tuf a15 have any problems besides its colour accuracy. I could get the huion kamvas 13 with it to complete the setup.
Though I doubt that the 103k config will have 16gb ram.
Not sure. If it had 2 core disabled, that would make it i7 10750H. If Acer does indeed name it i7 10870H & make it 6 core, they will be in hot water & even Intel might not like that move.

*www.flipkart.com/acer-predator-hel...-hz-ph315-53-gaming-laptop/p/itmb2022d3889ada
Not much info in FK as usual but they have mentioned 72% NTSC panel, so as expected.

Can you link the new Legion 5? Did they bring Ryzen 5000 + RTX 30 series to India?

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Buy Lenovo Legion 5 AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 15.6-inch FHD Gaming Laptop (16GB/1TB HDD + 256GB SSD/Win 10/Office/144 Hz/NVIDIA RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 Graphics/M300 RGB Gaming Mouse/Phantom Black/2.46 Kg), 82B100AVIN Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in
No they have launched the 2060 option now. It was 120k but now its 111k.

Should I go for this then?

@omega44-xt legion 5 4800h/2060 111k
Or Helios 300 i7/3060 116k

Which one to grab?
Helios 300 would be better for gaming, can just put a CPU TDP limit of say 35 or 40W to control heating (I think goes up to 54W).

Obviously, Legion 5 is better for productivity.

RTX 3060 might be up to 20% faster than RTX 2060 (as 3060 is likely a 90W one), also in general i7 is a better CPU for gaming, so overall 15-20% higher fps is easily possible.

Edit: Forgot that Helios 300 has 8 core i7, it won't be much behind in productivity.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
My main usage is content creation. Just because legion will be coming with xbox gamepass I'll give few titles that I know a spin. Other than that maybe only apex legend and genshin.
What is the tdp of the 2060 in legion?
Whose service and customer support is better? Acer or lenovo?

My main usage is content creation. Just because legion will be coming with xbox gamepass I'll give few titles that I know a spin. Other than that maybe only apex legend and genshin.
What is the tdp of the 2060 in legion?
Whose service and customer support is better? Acer or lenovo?
Not sure, but there are reviews available for Legion 5 online, check Jarrod Tech's review. Check how it performs in the apps you use vs say an 8 core Intel CPU powered laptop.

Lenovo likely has a better after sales.

XGP costs like ₹50 for first month, so that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Legion 5 is back at 119k lol. Now what? does this make helios 300 a sweeter deal?
For gaming Helios will be better & it shouldn't be much behind R7 4800H. Check reviews of Jarrod Tech, as said earlier. He had Helios 300 (2020) for review, use that for thermals + build. There is a R7 4800H + 1660Ti/2060 review by him, so you will get all info there. Check some other laptop with 8 core i7 or i9 CPU for other CPU performance metrics.

Top Bottom