New Rig Query

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Hey guys
I have been looking into what all laptops have been getting listed lately and here is the rundown.

Zephyrus g14
4800 hs and 1660ti was 125k and now it got removed mysteriously.
4900 hs variant is listed 175k now.

Zephyrus g15
240hz with 4800h should be 140k but its showing unavilable.

Tuf a15
The 4800h are now priced at 125k
Doesnt make sense now.

Dell g5 se is 96k on flipkart

Envy 15 and dell g7 go over 150k.

Looked at some desktops also like asus ga15, and Lenovo g5.
Corsair a100 is not available and alienware Aurora ryzen r10 is 130k on ubuy.
Found electrobot PCs on amazon any word on them?
*www.amazon.in/dp/B08HQVL3QJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dqdFFb12D7BQS

Since the ipad has some 3d apps as well I am glancing sideways to the new
Ipad air with 2nd gen apple pencil.
Would you suggest it ove tab s7+.
Is it possible to do coding and make apps on these tabs.

If getting an intel laptop is not asane decision then should I just put new
Cpu mobo ram drive combo in my current rig?
I am looking at 3500x +x570 mobo.
Ill upgrade to 5700x or higher next year then.
Would you suggest the g processors or getting a 1660 super?
Ill be running these components on my corsair vx550 for now inside a navtech chassis.

TIA
Aby

Check for sales which start on Oct 16, might have good deals. Look for Acer Helios 300 (2020) on FK if you want a high performance laptop.

Avoid Dell G5 SE & potentially G7 as well due to overheating.

For desktops, buying parts & getting it assembled will be a better value for money.

The iPad has apps optimized for tabs which android lacks as most are optimized for phone.

3500X + X570 is not a sane combination. 3600 + B550 is better because most people don't gain much from X570 over B550.

Honestly, too many questions. Are you looking to buy a laptop, a desktop, a tab & upgrade some PC as well?

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
I just want something now so I can start my own venture in navratri.

I am frustrated with the laptop scene thats why I am up for any solution that moves me forward.

I was a little skeptical of the ipads due to the apple epic fight.
Only considering the air as its cheaper than pro and will give me acces to apps for 3d as well.
Tab s7 doesnt have many 3d apps but its window support made me think I can get this and then I can move to a laptop without hassle.

Desktop I found the rog ga15 wth 3700x I linked to be vfm at 104k.
Though it is only upgradable to 32 gb and dont know what psu it might be using. Being able to put it on EMI on Amazon is a plus too.
Then I saw 3500x for 16k and it made me think what if I get just the essential components and be done with it.
3500x is not mandatory I just felt I can get a good x570 mobo now with a cheap cpu and next year just update to a ryzen 5000 cpu.

So these desktops or the g5 se are the options I found feasable.
Asus tuf a17 can be cosidered but I'll need a monitor or drawing display to do color accurate work.

For pc components I'll need atleast:
Cpu
Mobo
Ram
Gpu(can skip if the ryzen g series would perform well)
Ssd/hdd

1 lakh custom rig:

CPU - AMD R7 3700X - 29k

Mobo - MSI B550 Pro VDH WiFi - 13k

RAM - 2x8GB DDR4 3600MHz - 7.5k

GPU - Zotac RTX 2060 - 27k

M.2 SSD - WD SN550/Kingston A2000 500GB - 6k*

HDD - WD/Seagate 1TB - 3.2k

PSU - Antec NE700G 700W Gold - 6.1k

Cabinet - CM MB511 or other mid tower ATX - 6k **

Total - 97.8k

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Thats very cool you fit in a full rig but does it make sense to buy 3700x and 2060 right now that R5000 and new gpus are coming?

If i can run 1660 ti or super on my vx550 I'll go with it.

I am thinking either r 3600 or 3400g whichever I can sell of easily next year.

For chassis I have 17-19 inch height constraint as I dont want break of portions to make space.

That was the main reason I was considering laptops.

So my agenda of bringing up desktops again was to just get core components and put it in my current chassis for now.
My hdd is not working so that is one thing that I need extra otherwise would have only needed the cpu mobo ram gpu.

In laptops
For now only tuf a17 + monitor
Or lenovo 5pi are making sense.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
You can.

AMD has an event in the next couple of days. According to Twitter, they will be discussing new Ryzen CPUs.
Also, from what I've read around the web it'll definitely be worth the extra wait for the new Ryzen series. So might want to wait that out

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

Thats very cool you fit in a full rig but does it make sense to buy 3700x and 2060 right now that R5000 and new gpus are coming?

If i can run 1660 ti or super on my vx550 I'll go with it.

I am thinking either r 3600 or 3400g whichever I can sell of easily next year.

For chassis I have 17-19 inch height constraint as I dont want break of portions to make space.

That was the main reason I was considering laptops.

So my agenda of bringing up desktops again was to just get core components and put it in my current chassis for now.
My hdd is not working so that is one thing that I need extra otherwise would have only needed the cpu mobo ram gpu.

In laptops
For now only tuf a17 + monitor
Or lenovo 5pi are making sense.
Definitely waiting for next-gen parts is the much better choice. Realistically expect 1-2 months of wait, because of supply issues.

VX550 is old & not even bronze rated, better to get a new PSU.

Look for mATX cabinets along with B550M mobo for mATX form factor, like MSI B550M Pro VDH WiFi or AsRock B550M Pro4. Mini ITX isn't worth it IMO as it gets expensive.

I can't make the decision for you. Decide yourself if you want a laptop or desktop. Everyone has their unique needs. For laptops, upcoming amazon & FK sales are the apt time to make a purchase.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
I know waiting would be better and I have cabinet and monitor height constraints as well. Cabinet may still be possible to fit elsewhere but monitor would have to be kept at eye level. This is why I turned to laptops unknowingly that I'll be getting into a hot mess.

The first laptop I looked at was the envy 15 wth 2060 listed for 150k but wasn't available to buy. Now its 170k.

Then g14 came in as omen was with 1650ti only.
G14 listings also started disappearing overnight.
Recently g14 4800hs and 1650ti has come to Amazon at 128k.
I felt the lenovo 5pi is a better deal wth 2060 for 1k more and has all the ports too.
I was considering dell g5 se as I read reviews stating 5600m was better than 1650ti.
Since I have to buy monitor with anew desktop I started considering a15/17 with a monitor.

For contemplating putting ryzen on an old psu and navtech cabinet it was because I found the 3500x compelling.
Though the rog ga15 desktop @104k looks like a sweet deal.

I have looked at the ipad pros earlier and the air 4 just makes the deal sweeter.
Though ipad pro 11 shows 3weeks for delivery and comes upto around 98k for the variant I chose.
The air 4 isnt available yet it shows coming soon.

Now only other options left are either tab s7+ or commercial desktops with 4000g apus.

I was making all these considerations to get someting this week or by monday latest but don't know if that's possible now.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Hi everyone,
I would like opinion on whether to go for a laptop right now or not?
I am looking at lenovo legion 5pi with rtx 2060 and the zephyrus g14 with 1660ti.

I have read about the legion 5 ryzen edition coming to India but don't know if it would be here this year itself.

Please feel free to suggest any other laptop that you consider better for my use case.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi everyone,
I am looking at lenovo legion 5pi with rtx 2060 and the zephyrus g14 with 1660ti.

I have read about the legion 5 ryzen edition coming to India but don't know if it would be here this year itself.

Please feel free to suggest any other laptop that you consider better for my use case.
For G15, Asus blocked vents for AMD.
It might be different for G14. But, in the short-term, they don't have my trust.

Hi everyone,

Get this:
OMEN Laptop15-en0037AX

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
So what is your take on buying a Intel 10th gen offerings like Legion 5pi, zephyrus m15, strix electro punk.
I liked the pricing for the 5pi at 130k for an rtx 2060 offering.

Zephyrus g14 doent have blocked vents AFAIK but it is 124k for 4800hs, 16gb ram, 1660ti maxq with FHD screen with 120% Color accuracy and pantone validation.
For some reason the qhd is only available on the flagship config wch costs 180k.

Now I don't know what legion5 ryzen will be equipped with for India.

The only other laptop worth considering is Hp envy 360 with 2060 at 150k which is too costly and it would make sense to get a ryzen 5600x based desktop instead for now.

I was hoping ryzen 3000 series would drop in price when 5000 comes but instead of 3000 series price cut the new series is highly overpriced.

What is the status of 11th gen intel laptops with 1660ti in India?

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Get this:
OMEN Laptop15-en0037AX
All this while I have been reading reviews claiming this too has 45% ntsc gamut but here it is listed 72%.
How are the temps and battery life considering my work load is 3d content creation and rendering as well as heavy vector art files.
And I will have to buy a separate numpad with this to work smoothly in few of the apps.

So what is your take on buying a Intel 10th gen offerings like Legion 5pi, zephyrus m15, strix electro punk.
I liked the pricing for the 5pi at 130k for an rtx 2060 offering.

Zephyrus g14 doent have blocked vents AFAIK but it is 124k for 4800hs, 16gb ram, 1660ti maxq with FHD screen with 120% Color accuracy and pantone validation.
For some reason the qhd is only available on the flagship config wch costs 180k.

Now I don't know what legion5 ryzen will be equipped with for India.

The only other laptop worth considering is Hp envy 360 with 2060 at 150k which is too costly and it would make sense to get a ryzen 5600x based desktop instead for now.

I was hoping ryzen 3000 series would drop in price when 5000 comes but instead of 3000 series price cut the new series is highly overpriced.

What is the status of 11th gen intel laptops with 1660ti in India?
Not much reviews of Legion 5Pi, so not much info on it. Omen is a safer choice with similar specs but better CPU (R7 4800H is similar to i9 10xxxH in CPU performance but i7/i9 performs like 5% better in games).

G14 is unique product, if you really want a compact powerhouse, there's no alternative. It runs bit hot for sure.

Legion 5 Ryzen is a waiting game for now, Omen is pretty good. So not much point waiting.

Envy won't have good thermals, not a gaming laptop.

Desktops are always a better choice than laptop, if you don't need portability.

11th gen H series CPUs haven't been released, expected release in April. Ryzen 5000 laptop CPUs should be out by then as well.

All this while I have been reading reviews claiming this too has 45% ntsc gamut but here it is listed 72%.
How are the temps and battery life considering my work load is 3d content creation and rendering as well as heavy vector art files.
And I will have to buy a separate numpad with this to work smoothly in few of the apps.
Yes, because it has a superior panel than the ones sold at 76k & 87k. Those models have 45% NTSC 60Hz panel vs 72% NTSC 144Hz panel on the 125k model. This panel is standard on high end gaming laptops, only bested by 4K OLEDs in terms of colours. Even those 240Hz/300Hz panels are mostly 72% NTSC.

Temps are great, new Omen & Legion 5 are considered the two best Ryzen laptops by Jarrod Tech. Check his review for more info.
For content creation, R7 4800H is like 25% better than i7 on multicore tasks. IMO just get Omen before it goes out of stock.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Just saying, but if you need a good panel because your work will end up in printed images, you absolutely need a display that can do a very high percentage of Adobe RGB and preferably 100% sRGB at the very least. You will want accurate greens and blues because humans are comparatively very sensitive to those spectrum bands.

NTSC, or rather the YIQ colour space, is not used in any kind of image processing in computers. So a claim to meet 50% or 70% of NTSC spec is largely meaningless because

1. you will be unable to find any kind of general purpose display driver that supports YIQ and
2. YIQ is a notoriously difficult colour space to render correctly, which is why digital broadcast solutions as well as some NTSC variants switched to YUV for their transmissions.

There are probably plenty of transformation formulae to convert YIQ to RGB, but they're useless because the software you will use to create your renders will likely work in RGB. So look at RGB colour accuracy (this includes Rec. 709 and Rec. 2020/Rec. 2100).

Of course, I only mention this because it seems that colour accuracy is important to your work, but if it isn't then anything that has a decent-looking screen will do.

Top Bottom