New Rig Query

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
1660 Super has close/similar performance to 1660Ti and is priced lower. Sure 1660Ti is the top variant from 16xx series but if you won't be gaming that much, does it even matter?

For gaming its sufficient if I can casually try upcoming titles without issues.
I might give photo to 3d software like meshroom a try so all I need is a cuda based card that can handle decent point cloud to mesh calculations.

For ssd I found this :
250Gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO M.2 SATA - Online Computer Store, PC, Desktop and Gaming Accessories

There is an aorus ssd at 5k on this website. Can this site be trusted and how are these deals?

I might give photo to 3d software like meshroom a try so all I need is a cuda based card that can handle decent point cloud to mesh calculations.

For ssd I found this :
250Gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO M.2 SATA - Online Computer Store, PC, Desktop and Gaming Accessories

There is an aorus ssd at 5k on this website. Can this site be trusted and how are these deals?
First time hearing about it, better to get from amazon, mdcomputers, primeabgb, onlyssd, vedant or itdepot.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
First time hearing such a site & with such deals,stay away. Stick to amazon/flipkart & the big 5(mdcomputers,vedantcomputers,primeabgb,onlyssd,theitdepot). Also why looking for m2 sata ssd because in most cases using a m2 sata ssd disables 2 sata ports & performance wise it is same as regular 2.5" sata ssd(think of m2 sata ssd as regular 2.5" sata ssd without its external covering) which uses typical 1 sata port. Either get 2.5" sata ssd or upgrade to m2 NVMe ssd.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

For ssd I found this :

Don't waste money on overpriced sata ssd. Either get cheaper but almost similar Crucial MX500 from onlyssd/primeabgb/vedant/mdcomputers/amazon where ever it is cheaper or get a TLC nvme drive like Silicon Power P34A80 for boot drive.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Silicon Power 512GB SSD 3D NAND A55 SLC Cache Performance Boost SATA III 2.5" 7mm (0.28") Internal Solid State Drive (SP512GBSS3A55S25) *www.amazon.in/dp/B07997QV4Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kDjkEb9M9YTA8

Is this silicon power ssd good enough a crucial mx500 500gb is 5500 on Amazon.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Silicon Power 512GB SSD 3D NAND A55 SLC Cache Performance Boost SATA III 2.5" 7mm (0.28") Internal Solid State Drive (SP512GBSS3A55S25) *www.amazon.in/dp/B07997QV4Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kDjkEb9M9YTA8

:facepalm:
Don't waste money on overpriced sata ssd.
Get any of these instead:
2.5" Sata: Buy Online Crucial MX500 M.2 2280 500GB SATA III 3D NAND SSD CT500MX500SSD4 In India
m.2 nvme: Buy Online Silicon Power 512GB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 2280 SSD SP512GBP34A80M28 In India

MX500 is better & cheaper. I'd have recommended SP one if it was say 4.5k.

:facepalm:

Get any of these instead:
2.5" Sata: Buy Online Crucial MX500 M.2 2280 500GB SATA III 3D NAND SSD CT500MX500SSD4 In India
m.2 nvme: Buy Online Silicon Power 512GB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 2280 SSD SP512GBP34A80M28 In India
+1 to these

That SP one is good if you really want an NVMe.

toofan

Technomancer
Buy Online Kingston A2000 250GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD SA2000M8/250G - in India

Check this if you want a 250 gb one. Cheapest nvme ssd for rs 3500.
500 gb price increased to 5600

I am having a 500 gb varient of kingston.

So if looking for 500gb then buy silicone power nvme.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Hello again everyone,

I will be moving out to a rented apartment to get the current one renovated. So for the time being I am thinking I'll get a laptop for ease in moving out and then back in.

I have shortlisted these 2, please let me know if better options are available:

*www.amazon.in/dp/B07RSS7MRW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Ux-qEbR3AFX6D

*www.amazon.in/dp/B07T7NLLJJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_zA-qEbBCN3CTA

Thanks,
Aby

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello again everyone,

I will be moving out to a rented apartment to get the current one renovated. So for the time being I am thinking I'll get a laptop for ease in moving out and then back in.

Thanks,
Aby
@SaiyanGoku @anupam_pb

Also buy using sbi yono app(you will have to login to amazon inside yono app & then add the product to cart & finish making payment with sbi card/netbanking) to get 5% cashback as amazon pay balance(5000 for 1 lakh). Also use sbi simplyclick credit card to get extra 2.5% worth reward points(2500 for 1 lakh).

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Hello again everyone,

Thanks,
Aby
Get Y540 with 1660Ti but at least 512GB ssd instead of 256GB.

Hello again everyone,

Thanks,
Aby
Go for Y540, it was on sale for 99k during big sales, like Republic Day one. Try finding it locally as well, maybe. Helios 300 is the best choice for that price, Y540 is the 2nd best. Lowest price for Helios 300 with i7+1660Ti was 88k or so once, usually 110k.

The Asus is lighter & easier to carry but runs hotter than those 2.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Thank you everyone,

I was looking at zephyrus m for the 100srgb colour reproduction and the anti dust fans.

If y540 is a better performer than I'll go with that.

256 gb should not be an issue as even 512gb ssd will be not enough.
I'll get an external ssd later on.

I'll be getting it on EMI and the ssd is upgradable on lenovo website but there even the 256gb version will cost 115k.
Is there a way to calculate the EMI because unlike Amazon the lenovo website doesn't display it before checkout.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone,

I was looking at zephyrus m for the 100srgb colour reproduction and the anti dust fans.

If y540 is a better performer than I'll go with that.

256 gb should not be an issue as even 512gb ssd will be not enough.
I'll get an external ssd later on.

I'll be getting it on EMI and the ssd is upgradable on lenovo website but there even the 256gb version will cost 115k.
Is there a way to calculate the EMI because unlike Amazon the lenovo website doesn't display it before checkout.
Y540 144Hz panel & Helios 300's 144Hz panel have 95-100% sRGB + ~70% ARGB coverage, like Zephyrus M.

Ext SSD is useless IMO, get an internal one & put HDD in a caddy.

Wait for sales & get 0% EMI, maybe sales near Holi?

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Thanks anupam

Ext ssd is to trasport heavy print design files from home to the printer.

Which hdd are known to perform well when put in a caddy?

I'll wait as much as possible but I think these two are the best overall offerings until zephyrus g14 and its rivals show up.

Is there any issue with zephyrus m that even after having 512gb ssd the lenovo is preferred over it?

Thanks anupam

Ext ssd is to trasport heavy print design files from home to the printer.

Which hdd are known to perform well when put in a caddy?

I'll wait as much as possible but I think these two are the best overall offerings until zephyrus g14 and its rivals show up.

Is there any issue with zephyrus m that even after having 512gb ssd the lenovo is preferred over it?
G14 will be 1.2lakhs+ easily for R7 4800H model with 1660Ti Max Q (60W).

Any HDD should be good for transporting files, SSD is just an expensive investment for such a task, better spend that money to get a high capacity SSD for your laptop.

As I mentioned earlier, Zephyrus M runs hotter, i.e. higher CPU & GPU temps on load, which is not preferred. Asus laptops don't undervolt much, so UV won't give a big drop as is the case with some laptops like Y540 (manual UV) & Helios 300 (factory UV).

CPUs doesn't require, say 1.2V, to maintain a specific frequency on load. Lowest stable voltage literally varies from chip to chip & mobo quality even for same CPU model, like i7 9750H. Since 8th gen i7s, the laptop CPUs are pretty hot, Intel's 14nm is partially to blame. So users started manually lowering CPU voltage. It lowers power required by CPU, hence lowering heat generated.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Hello everyone,
The 1660ti 16gb lenovo y540 recently was out of stock.

Tuf A15 is here but 16gb ram and 1660ti config is not available and these models also have the same crap 45% ntsc color reproduction of the tuf 505 and 705 models.

Zephyrus g14 is apparently bad build quality
according to some reviews.

Now whats left is A17 or the new zephyrus m maybe.

What do you guys think will Lenovo legion y540 1660ti come back? Or should I go for the 2060 version?

Here is the Tuf A15 8gb and 1650ti on amazon.

*www.amazon.in/dp/B08825Z8CW/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_mf91Eb69PWGSA

Hello everyone,
The 1660ti 16gb lenovo y540 recently was out of stock.

Tuf A15 is here but 16gb ram and 1660ti config is not available and these models also have the same crap 45% ntsc color reproduction of the tuf 505 and 705 models.

Zephyrus g14 is apparently bad build quality
according to some reviews.

Now whats left is A17 or the new zephyrus m maybe.

What do you guys think will Lenovo legion y540 1660ti come back? Or should I go for the 2060 version?

Here is the Tuf A15 8gb and 1650ti on amazon.

*www.amazon.in/dp/B08825Z8CW/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_mf91Eb69PWGSA
If Lenovo managed to get Y540 stock cleared, then Legion 5 & 5i are likely coming (former is AMD, latter is Intel). A17 likely has same 45% NTSC panel, TUF series is entry-level, unlike Legion Y540 (or 5/5i), which uses a good quality 100% sRGB 144Hz panel, the 60Hz panel is not that good.

RTX 2060 is like 10% better than 1660Ti, not a big jump in performance. Wait a bit more, I have a feeling we will see more new laptop launches this month.

Top Bottom