New Rig for 3d Works compatible with old pc

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
@ aby geek
bhai thts what i have been saying,you wronged me then repeated what i sayed sheesh !!
When did I repeat anything you said.
And that benchmark link was posted by you. Double Sheesh !! !!

@ Jas
Yeah, I agree
OP should go for GTX570/580 if 1.5GB RAM is enough (and budget) or GTX460 2GB or wait for GTX580 3GB.

@vickybat
Check the link I posted above your post and the link Jas posted.

CM 690 Advanced cabinet has a graphic card cooling thing. Or you can try liquid cooling.
And some GeForce cards (470 480) were quite hot. Maybe that warning was intended towards them.

Anyways there is a lot of difference between 1 month and 3-4 days (which might decrease to 2 days with your new rig). Still lets dig up some more articles.

EDIT : found this
CGTalk - CUDA wars:Quadro vs GTX vs Tesla

I am soooo sick and tired of non-technical people claiming that this or that "pro" card has to be better because it costs 10X as much as the "gaming" card.

As long as the limitations of "gaming" cards is taken into consideration, there are essentially no reasons I can see to consider a "pro" card. The biggest issue is obviously memory, but like Jeff posted, you can find the GTX cards with 2GBs of RAM, and concerning the heat issue, either water cooling or some more fans are far cheaper than the $1000+ that it would cost to get the slower Quadro card. The longevity of the card is essentially a non-issue because it should either be covered by a warranty, or if it does crap-out on you out of warranty, it would be cheaper to buy TEN "gaming" cards versus one "pro" card.
That quote sums up my view on this GTX Vs Quadro.

Last edited:

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
oh ok my bad vicky said v4800 and v5800 are the way to go.

but seriously what about sub 20k quadros?

and i posted the link coz i wanted to know wether its acredible source o not cz its a benchmark makers site.

if op's usage is grandly supported by nvidia ,then wont gtx 560 would be a better deal?
if he can wait that is

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
sub 20k quadros abygeek will be a waste of money IMO. because those quadros and firepros have liscensed drivers they cost a lot. those offer more adujstable settings according to various needs. so if op needs those benefits of quadros i listed above he can look at them.

otherwise GTX570 or 580 will serve him well. these have enough memory, CUDA cores and clock. so good balance of everything IMO.

so my renewed suggestion-

AMD Phenom II x6 1055t @ 8.7k
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H @ 5.5k
G.Skill F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH (2Gx2) @ 3.7k
MSI/Zotac GTX580 @ 28k
Seagate 500GB 7200.12 @ 1.7k
Corsair VX550W @ 4.7k
CM USP100 @ 3k

Total - 55.3k

OP
F

fusebulb

Broken In
@ jas
GTX 580 is good but 28 k is overpriced as it is new, plus it has only 1.5 GB Mem
instead i think GTX460 2GB is a better bet with less than half the price, even if i
install two of them, then the performance will way surpass then a single GTX580 card
i do plan to install a second card at a later stage, after say 3-4 months as i am planning to use 3ds Max Iray renderer which is GPU based, and more CUDA cores the better

Also i need a good cooling solution if available and a good mobo to support at least 2 GTXs including with extra cooling if reqd. So pls suggest an appropriate mobo which has ample power and space for two cards or maybe more, which will future proof my rig

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
AMD Phenom II x6 1090t @ 11.5k
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 @ 10.2k
G.Skill 1x4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL7 @ 4k
Seagate 1TB 7200.12 @ 2.8k
Seasonic S12D 750W @ 6.5k
Cooler Master 690 Advanced @ 6k
GTX 460 2GB @ 12.5k
Total - 53.7k
My config from last page.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
@ jas
GTX 580 is good but 28 k is overpriced as it is new, plus it has only 1.5 GB Mem
instead i think GTX460 2GB is a better bet with less than half the price, even if i
install two of them, then the performance will way surpass then a single GTX580 card
i do plan to install a second card at a later stage, after say 3-4 months as i am planning to use 3ds Max Iray renderer which is GPU based, and more CUDA cores the better

Also i need a good cooling solution if available and a good mobo to support at least 2 GTXs including with extra cooling if reqd. So pls suggest an appropriate mobo which has ample power and space for two cards or maybe more, which will future proof my rig

GTX580 is top performer and is priced right. it even performs close to dual gpu HD5970.

U cant SLI on AMD chipset boards! moreover refer to the link ishu posted. when you combine say 2 GTX460 2GB the memory doesnt become double. its not cumulative. rendering apps only see whats loaded on a single gpu. the scenes fit into each card individually. so 2gb for both cards.

multiple gpus will only render fast but SLI of GTX460 is behind GTX580 in games. single GTX580 beats GTX460 in SLI in gaming. a GTX460 2GB costs 14.7k. so 2 of them - 29.4k. GTX580 is at 28.7k.

NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 580: Fermi Refined - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

580 - 512 CUDA cores
460 - 336 CUDA cores

moreover 2 cards mean more heat and noise as comapared to a single card.

@ishu
how will a 1090t and 10k board benefit him?. where did you get 460 2GB for 12.5k!
*www.smcinternational.in/index.php?...ategory_id=34&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=92

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
^
I looked on SMC but couldn't find it. 12.5k was a guess. :p

moreover 2 cards mean more heat and noise as comapared to a single card.
Good point. BTW check topgears post in "Graphic card queries" thread.

fusebulb can go for 580GTX if 1.5GB is enough.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
oh i see.
BTW topgear said the same what we were saying till now. if op needs those extra benefits of rendering cards like i mentioned above he can get them. otherwise nvidia geforce is the way to go. moreover v8700 costs 61k :lol: .

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
jas is right 580 at 28 k is a really sweet deal.

i was wondering wether 3ds max prefers higher clocks or high memory.

jasji can we get any clarification on this?

OP
F

fusebulb

Broken In
Yes Ishu is spot on

Unfortunately in this case both CUDA cores and memory is important, CUDA cores will help in render speed and the memory will help in loading larger scene size, or limiting the size.

One limitation of GPU rendering is u can only have your polygon size as per the limit of your memory on the GPU, so having more Memory on GPU is crucial.

But fortunately Iray renderer gives u a choice of rendering with CPU/GPU/Hybrid
if your scene size goes above ur GPU limit, u can bypass the GPU and still render with CPU, though it will render many times slower, but it is something u will have to live with.

OP
F

fusebulb

Broken In
ok guys, thank u all for ur valuable inputs, after taking all ur suggestions and doing some research myself, i have decided to get these tomorrow from Lamington Road

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Asrock 890GX Extreme3
Seagate 1TB 7200.12
Corsair VX550W
G.Skill F3-12800CL8Q-8GBRM (2Gx4)
GTX 460 2GB
Cooler Master 690 Advanced

Any last min suggestions, is the PSU vx550w good enuf or i need higher power, thats the only doubt, otherwise i think it shud be fine

Top Bottom