New Rig for 3d Works compatible with old pc

fusebulb

Broken In
hello friends
I am new to this forum, read quite a bit, i was quite impressed with the talk here, some of u are very knowledgable and wise considering a lot of u are very young, anyways my question is i am a 3d artist doing freelance work, i have a branded acer machine, core2duo, 2gb ram, it has served me well, but now with my more demanding work, esp. in After Effects, Maya, Real Flow, etc. it doesnt seem to be enough, so pls suggest me a new machine for 3d (no gaming), i would prefer Intel, also no quadro cards i think they are too expensive, pls suggest a good cheaper alternative.

Budget is 50-55k, without monitor, and one more imp thing, i want to run both the new and the old machine simultaneously, i would prefer to work on the new machine and render on the old machine, both of them should work on one monitor, keyb and mouse, pls i need suggestions from u experts

thanks

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ fusebulb

Hello and welcome to TDF mate.As far your config goes, check the following:

1. AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 11k
2. ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 @ 5.7K
3. G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM (2Gx2) @ 4.7k
4. ATI FireGL V7700 @ 12.5k
5. Corsair 550VX PSU @ 4.7K
6. WD 1 TB Black 6Gbps SATA3 @ 5K
7. Cooler Master HAF 922 @ 6.7K
8. APC 1000VA @ 5k
9. Logitech 3 Button Scroll @ 0.3k
10.Logitech KB-200 @ 0.4k

Total = 56k.

You can cut down on budget by going for a cheaper cabinet like Cooler Master Elite 430 @ 2.8k instead of HAF 922. You haven't mentioned speakers so didn't include in the rig.

Overall a balanced rig for all the works you are going to do. The cpu is very good at rendering and the firegl card will handle all rendering works effortlessly. The hexcore cpu's of amd are great in rendering and video encoding tasks owing to more no. of physical cpu cores. A similar performing intel rig will be more expensive so stick with amd. All those RUMORS about heating issues with amd are nothing but MYTHS. This is the most Value For Money cpu for the tasks you have mentioned.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Please fill up the PC building Template. It will help us to suggest you more appropriately.

OP
F

fusebulb

Broken In
thanks vickybat

Very tempting config, one question how does phenom x6 1090T compare to i5 or even i7, i know i7 will go out of budget, but my work involves lot of rendering, sometimes the machine is rendering for days continuously, so priority is rendering power, if i5 or i7 is giving me considerably more rendering power than i might even stretch the budget a little bit, if the difference is not too much than x6 phenom is perfect.

Also pls advise how to run both computers simultaneously, lets say i have windows 7 64bit on the new computer and xp on the old, will my maya files be compatible in both pcs for rendering?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ fusebulb

Yes please do what cilus suggested. It gives us a clearer picture and helps us in suggesting you better.

Regarding your intel config. query , the i7 950's performance is similar to 1090t in rendering but that the latter is cheaper. i7 950 + asus x58 sabertooth will cost you around 26k whereas the current one is within 17k and therefore much cheaper and performance is similar. But i7 950 is great in gaming but you have no intentions of gaming. As for i5 , its inferior to amd x6 in rendering and video encoding tasks.

So a phenom 2 x6 will be perfect for you.

Regarding your second question, i don't think there will be any compatibility issues. Your maya files will run fine in the new machine. Talk about running them simultaneously , you can do it but each rig should have a separate display. One display or monitor cannot share two systems simultaneously.:smile:

Last edited:
OP
F

fusebulb

Broken In
wow now i am very much convinced about amd x6 phenom, thanks vickybat for all the information, i really appreciate it, i knew i will not get disappointed here, now to catch some good dealers in Mumbai.

I googled for running two systems simultaneously and i came across some KVM switch which allows u to swtich between two computers by just pressing a button, how cool is that, i will research more about it and decide if i want to buy it.

Also if u can direct me to where i can get the above hardware in Mumbai, for e.g. ATI FireGL V7700 card is not listed on theitwares and primeabgb

Last edited:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
I guess you will need a KVM switch to run both PCs on same monitor,KB mouse.

Also you can get all the stuff from Lamington Road. Some Mumbai dude can tell the exact shop.

Vickybat's rig looks good. I'll make a few suggestions
1) No need for the FireGL. You won't be working with that huge polygons and textures.
2) CUDA can be useful here.

Last edited:
OP
F

fusebulb

Broken In
there are some nice reviews on 1090T at guru3d, i am glad i changed my mind about this, one question is will the cooling solution come with the proc. or i have to buy it separately, and if separately what do u recommend, and do u recommend overclocking this processor as i have never tried something like this, is it advisable

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Although the stock cooler (Yes it comes with the CPU) is good enough, you might want to get CM Hyper 212+ for 1.8k esp if you want to overclock. The 1090T can overclock upto 4GHz - 4.2GHz easily. :D

You can buy the Hyper 212+ later if you are unsatisfied with the performance of stock cooler. Also overclock it later (after a few months).

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
AMD Phenom II x6 1090t @ 11.5k
Asrock 890GX Extreme3 @ 7.2k
G.Skill F3-12800CL8Q-8GBRM (2Gx4) @ 7.5k
ATI FirePro V4800 @ 11k
Seagate 1TB 7200.12 @ 2.8k
Corsair VX550W @ 4.7k
Cooler Master USP 100 @ 3k

Total - 47.7k

OP
F

fusebulb

Broken In
@Ishu Gupta

thanks for the info, i will stick with the stock cooler for now

@ Jaskanwar Singh

Thanks for your config, now there are choices more headache:grin:
i wonder which graphic card to go for ATI FireGL V7700 / ATI FirePro V4800
and between these mobo Asrock 890GX Extreme3/ASUS M4A87TD/USB3

i should research on these, or if anyone can throw some light on this

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ fusebulb

Buddy. firepro v4800 is amd's latest breed of workstation cards featuring dx11, full shader model 5.0, 400 stream processors and hardware tesselation which the firegl v7700 lacks cause it belongs to the previous generation of rv770 chips or older amd 3series.

So v4800 is better and performs close to its higher sibling the v5800 in some benchmarks. Check out the v5800 but if price is too high, settle for the v4800.

Talking about mobo's, definitely the asrock one is superior owing to the 890 chipset,3 way crossfire. Since you won't be doing a crossfire , you can settle for the asus as its cheaper. Otherwise go for the asrock as its a great board and not that expensive.

Amd processors do not respond properly to faster memory as their memory controller is not as efficient as intel. So going for low latency rams will help here and thats why i suggested the gskill rams with a cas latency of 7. You can go for 8gb(2x4) but opt for low latency ones like the ones i had suggested.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
The asus u mentioned vicky is 4 phase with 4 pin etx.!

The asus u mentioned vicky is 4 phase with 4 pin etx. So pairing it with 125w processor is bad.

@op
go for 8gb ram.
V4800 is better.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ jas
Ok mate. Then check ASUS M4A87TD-EVO @ 6.4k . Its got 8+1 phase power design.

Op can go for this to save a bit else the asrock one looks rock solid and is quite feature rich.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
This one is again bad as it has 4 pin eps. I have to change it in the guide. Moreover why should he save on mobo? Asrock is well within his budget. My total was 46k.

OP
F

fusebulb

Broken In
good u people came up with the compatibility issue, this is one of my major concerns, if asrock is compatible with the x6 processor as it is a 8+1 phase (sorry but i have no understanding of all this :???:) i am more of a software person, so i am going to go by your judgement.

And going by ur PSU suggestion Corsair 550VX i hope that is sufficient for the above rig, which includes ATI V4800 card, do i need a ram cooler also, bcoz i had noticed in my studio all the PCs had ram coolers installed (although they were dell workstations) but still.

@ Ishu Gupta
You suggested CUDA can be useful, can u elaborate on this, i understand u are talking about CUDA enabled graphic card, but exactly which one, and how it is going to be more useful than the other card suggested

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
U should consider 1055t @ 8.7k and firepro v5800 @ 27k also.
If u wont oc even a good 4+1 phase like gigabyte 880gma ud2h will do the job.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ fusebulb

1055t can be paired with good 4+1 phase boards as its a 95 watt cpu(check before buying)
and has lesser power requirements. But 1055t is not a black edition processor whereas the 1090t is so overclocking is a breeze in the latter.

I would say 1090t + asrock 890gx would be a good future proof setup. As for the rendering card, stick with v4800 as v5800 is not worth the price as v4800 performs close to v5800.

Regarding cuda (compute unified device architecture), its an nvidia architecture which involves nvidia gpu in normal computational tasks usually done by cpu. Its programming is done in c and its derivatives because of its flexibiity. The gpu understands the instruction sets and processes tasks accordingly.

Here you need a dedicated rendering card and though nvidia quadro is better, they cost too much. So amd is the best for you.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Here you need a dedicated rendering card and though nvidia quadro is better, they cost too much. So amd is the best for you.

He hardly needs a workstation card. He will hardly use as many polygon that will make a difference between a workstation card and a consumer card. A single guy wouldn't (mostly cannot) need to use that many polygons. Workstation card are more useful for studios etc.

And Maya (with a plugin) and AfterEffects will benefit from CUDA giving him faster rendering times.

Top Bottom