New PC : Video editing / encoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Screencasting, video editing / encoding. Occaisonal gaming. Will be probably use gtkrecordmydesktop for screencasting, openshot / handbrake for video tasks

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: ~40 K INR.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: NO

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Ubuntu Linux / Windows (in dual boot)

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500GB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes. Full HD. Don't know what size is optimal

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Have a 500 GB SATA HDD and a mouse.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: ASAP

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes. Will be assembling myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. Can buy locally or from flipkart.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Gaming is not a priority, but I would like it if I can play games of the order of CS:GO, Metro 2033 @ medium settings.

I think an Intel core i5 / 4 GB RAM / and AMD,ATi graphics (7670). I don't know about cabby, monitor, mobo.

Last edited:
FX 6300 (7300)
Asus M5A97 R2.0 (7000)
G.Skill RipjawsX 4 GB (2200)
Seasonic S12II 420 W (3600)
Asus HD7750 (7500)
NZXT gamma (2500)
Dell S2240L (8600)
3 120 mm fans (1000)

total: 39700

^:+1: It is good for your needs. If you can go a bit overbudget , get the HD7770 which is around 1k more @ Search . There is also a version for 7500, but that is msi's and their pulling out of india. Get the Asus or Sapphire cards.

Shiva

Cilus

laborare est orare
You can get the Power Color HD 7750 at 6.5k from *mdcomputers.in/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=7750&product_id=1317
With the saved money, try to squeeze a FX 8320 which will be vety helpful invideo encoding. In linux, all the FX Series performs really well and outperform their samely priced Intel counterparts by good margin due to ptoper thread management techniques, something missing in Windows OS till date. Use the linux version of HANDBRAKE which comes will amd advanced instruction set support.

ritwiksondhi

Journeyman
FX 6300 (7300)
Asus M5A97 R2.0 (7000)
G.Skill RipjawsX 4 GB (2200)
Seasonic S12II 420 W (3600)
Asus HD7750 (7500)
NZXT gamma (2500)
Dell S2240L (8600)
3 120 mm fans (1000)

total: 39700

This config is very well recommended, but I'd like to suggest few things:
1. RAM, go for 8gb, more the better for video editing and rendering, Kingston HyperX 8gb(Rs.4000)
2. PSU, Corsair VS550 550 Watt PSU (more power at lesser price, Rs.3,300)
3. Graphic Card, go for a Nvidia DDR5 GPU in the price range of 7-8K, even if it's older GTX550ti, the only reason to go for Nvidia is that major video editing and compositing softwares use Nvidia's CUDA technology which is not present in ATI hence Nvidia.
4. DVD writer, costs around 1100

These things will probably increase your budget by Rs.4,500 but believe me they're worth it.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ about video encoding :

Media Espresso 6.5

Media Espresso is a video conversion program that uses the graphics processing unit of the video card to speed up the conversion process. We converted a 449 MB, 1920x1080i, 18,884 kbps, MPEG2 video file to a smaller 640x360, H.264, .MPG4 file for viewing on a portable device such as an iPhone or iPod Touch. We also ran this test on our CPU (Core i5-2500K) in order to compare the difference in performance between a mainstream CPU and a mainstream GPU to transcode video.

source

@ritwiksondhi, corsair vs series is a crap series. Its not at all about wattage, but Ampearage on available lines and how close the unit can supply power to its rated power under all conditions. Never recommend vs series to anyone other than a extremely budget bounded guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom