New PC rig for 3d rendering

darkhawk

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: 3D modeling and rendering using Blender, game development ( i would like to try UDK/ Cryengine), playing games like battlefield 3 at decent fps

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 60K around, can extend it by 2-3K

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No (i have no experience in this matter)

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Ubuntu, Win7 (dual boot)

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500 GB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: 20 inch monitor, 1600 x 900

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: None

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: within a week

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: never assembled before it will be done by an assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I live in Tirupati, Andhra pradesh. I will enqire locally but am open to buying online

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
I am going to use GPU for rendering and am thinking about using multiple gpus in (not really near) future. I am limited to nvidia cards because of software concerns.

I am a noob regarding pc building... heres what i came up with by searching online,
Processor : i5 3570 at 14.8K
Motherboard : Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 at 11K ( its micro atx....)
GPU : Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti or GTX 560 (more ram is better in either case) ~ 14K
Ram : 8 gb ram 1600 mhz.. (2x8 depending on budget) ~ 3.5K
PSU : Corsair GS600 watt (no idea about multi gpu, please suggest) ~ 5K
HDD : Western digital Caviar blue 500 GB ~ 3.5K
Cabinet : Coolermaster elite 431 ~ 3.5K
Monitor : 20 inch ~6K
Keyboard and mouse ~ 1K

Totaling to 62K

I will try to get as many items as possible from local shops (maybe they can order from cities).I have no idea about warranty etc if i buy online... please help with config and also with websites to buy from that are reliable (i have been looking at flipkart)

OP
D

darkhawk

Broken In
Hmm.. no responses yet :(

I have contacted local shops.. looks like i can to buy some of the stuff from local (monitor, keyboard+mouse,dvd drive, cabinet, processor). However i cant get motherboard, hard disk and ram. I have to get them online. I have checked that flipkart can deliver to my location. Can anyone suggest me some other reliable sites to buy from?

Also i have given up on multiple gpus so i will be getting only one. Can any one tell me if GTX 560 Ti 2gb version is available anywhere online? Also i am thinking of getting a H77 board as im not going to overclock so, i want to improve processor to i7 and still keep to the same budget :)

acewin

Point Blanc
you may get core i7 2600 or 3770 in around 18K, check for local prices

Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
not a gamer but i think radeon 7xxx series is better in terms of performance as well as power consumption.sapphire radeon hd 7850 is available for ~15000 in big markets.

OP
D

darkhawk

Broken In
Thank you for responding :).
I was looking at Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H Motherboard vs Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H Motherboard: Compare Motherboards: Flipkart.com and was confused about taking micro atx or atx board. Gtx 560 Ti is described as 'dual slot' on geforce site, will it give any problems on the micro atx board as the slot for graphic card is quite close to the ram slot? Is there any other disadvantage in taking Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H over the other one?

OP
D

darkhawk

Broken In
indeed i would like to go with amd... but blender rendering program works with nvidia cuda technology :(. So no amd for me. But amd cards seem to have better open GL performance for the viewport... now i am searching for the head hitting wall emote if you know what i mean :)

OP
D

darkhawk

Broken In
The rendering software uses Nvidia Cuda technology, so i cant use amd cards... but amd cards seem to be good at viewport performance (openGL)...
I have read about a guy using amd card for viewport and nvidia for render *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif. Unfortunately i have to go for nvidia this time :(. The previous post doesnt seem to appear so i posted again lol

OP
D

darkhawk

Broken In
PSU problems

The local shop doesn’t have corsair PSUs that i want to get. The owner has offered coolermaster ‘gold series’ psu which he says is high end (he hasn’t yet given its price as he said he will enqire suppliers). The only ‘gold’ psu i can find on cooler master website is the Silent Pro Gold series.The silent pro gold 600W PSU on flipkart costs 9k which is over budget for me (i am thinking 6-7k max). Moreover on flipkart the psu is marked as ‘discontinued’ :shock:

The shopkeeper also says that there is no service center for corsair psu(obvious as i am in tirupati lol) so if i buy corsair Gaming series 600 W PSU online and i have a problem, what is the RMA process? Whom should i contact? Also, is silent pro series worth it? Should i consider buying it instead?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
buy corsair & as far as i know their after sales support is also very good in India.i think kaizen handle corsair after sales support.
Kaizen Infoserve Private Limited.

OP
D

darkhawk

Broken In
Thank you :) I will go with corsair then.

Here is what im thinking of buying

Online buying for sure
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H Motherboard, 6.5K
Ram: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB 1600Mhz, 3.3K
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-600GUK 600 Watts PSU, 5.2k
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500 GB, 3.6K

Will try local shops first... otherwise online
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770, 19K on flipkart
Graphic card: MSI N560GTXTi Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB ram, 17.5K on itwares... MDComputers has zotac 560 Ti 2gb but its out of stock
Cabinet: Coolermaster 361 cabinet (not sure on this really)
Monitor: Dell 20 inch (in 6k-8k range..)

Keyboard, mouse – wired logitech Rs. 700
Dvd writer – anything i can get (lol) 1K

Regarding UPS i have absolutely no idea... i want backup power for sure (really bad power situation here lol) even if it is for 15 min or something.. what should i get? Please point me to some information sources :)

Is the config good? I want to order tomorrow or on monday

OP
D

darkhawk

Broken In
Indeed 17k is too much for 560Ti... (is actually 18k on itwares :shock:) The problem is that i want graphic card with as much ram as possible (as i want to use it for rendering) and the newer GTX 6xx series cards seem to have lower rendering performance (though they are better for gaming). The 2gb versions of 560Ti seem to be rare and they are clearly old cards now :(
I am thinking if i can get 560 Ti 2gb for 15K at local shop i will buy. But if its greater in price i will seriously consider 6xx series probably GTX 660

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
When its workstations get Nvidia preferably.

Intel i7 3770 - Rs 18000
Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H - Rs 6600
Ram - CORSAIR RAM VENGEANCE LOW PROFILE 8GB DUAL CHANNEL DDR3 MEMORY KIT ( CML8GX3M2A1600C9) - Rs 2548
HDD - Seagate 500GB - Rs 3400
GPU - GigaByte GeForce GTX 660 - 14000
Cabinet - NZXT Beta Evo - Rs 2600
PSU - Corsair GS 500 - Rs 4000
Monitor - DELL ST2220 L (LED FULL HD) - Rs 8600
Mouse - Logitech G300/G400 - Rs 1300/Rs1800 (app)
Keyboard Logitech - Rs 350

Total - Rs 61,398

Get this rig its bang for your buck. All prices are from Local Shops.....and also mostly from Prime ABGB and MD Computers......look up in the Net.

OP
D

darkhawk

Broken In
Hmm, is the 500W power supply enough for the config? In that case i will get 500W
Also i am thinking of getting a single 8gb ram instead of 2 x 4gb... will the single 8 gb perform slower because of dual channel?
I was thinking that the max ram limit for motherboard is 32gb (4x8) so why not get one 8gb now and another 8 gb later?

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
500W is adequate with enough headroom.If you plan to add 8 GB later its ok to get a 8GB for now.Otherwise get the matched Dual 4GBs.

OP
D

darkhawk

Broken In
Finally, i have ordered i7 3770 (at 18.9K), 21.5 inch Samsung monitor, Dvd writer, Keyboard+mouse and coolermaster 370 cabinet (USB 3.0 version). I am still enquiring about the motherboard possibly will get it locally.
Now i am thinking of buying ram, hdd and psu online

For HDD i will get Caviar Blue 500 GB and PSU Corsair GS 600W
Regarding ram is there any difference between Corsair Vengeance and G-Skill RipjawsX (other than the price ofc)? I am not going to overclock them, so less latency numbers are better?

Also can any one help me to find GTX 560 Ti 2gb gpu? I can find N560GTXTi Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC for 17.5 K and it looks like a rocket lol but its an overclocked card, will it give me cooling problems ? (the local shop wanted to sell me 560 Ti from sparkle at 19K :shock:)

and thank you every one who replied to me and also to others on the forum :-D i learnt most of the stuff i know about computer components on this forum

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Finally, i have ordered i7 3770 (at 18.9K), 21.5 inch Samsung monitor, Dvd writer, Keyboard+mouse and coolermaster 370 cabinet (USB 3.0 version). I am still enquiring about the motherboard possibly will get it locally.
Now i am thinking of buying ram, hdd and psu online

I am not going to overclock them, so less latency numbers are better?

Also can any one help me to find GTX 560 Ti 2gb gpu? I can find N560GTXTi Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC for 17.5 K and it looks like a rocket lol but its an overclocked card, will it give me cooling problems ? (the local shop wanted to sell me 560 Ti from sparkle at 19K :shock:)

For RAM when you are not overclocking its better to get Low latencies at higher frequency.
For GPU ASUS GRAPHIC CARD GTX560 Ti DCII 2DI/1GD5
ZOTAC GRAPHICS CARD GTX 560 TI 2GB DDR5

Top Bottom