New PC for S/q development 50k

joecool

Broken In
[Please read the title as S/w development; sorry for the typo]

Hello,

I had posted sometime back asking similar but ended up not buying. This time i am pretty sure :)

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Hardcore Java Development. Running multiple App Servers and Databases, Virutal Machines, and IDEs. Will be doing continuous integration builds, etc. more or less all the time.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 50K. maybe can extend a little

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No (Dont know much about overclocking and would like to play very very safe)

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Ubuntu (as a host; CentOS as a Guest VM on VirtualBox and would be running Oracle, MySQL, WebLogic, JBoss, etc.)

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB HDD to begin with. Later, when the prices come down, will add a SSD for the OS and progs.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: I dont have a monitor, and from all the other suggestions i have seen so far, will be going to Dell S2240L. I think I will split the screen into two and try to have a sort of dual-screen setup.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: keyboard and mouse. Also, I have a APC 600 UPS, so I guess I wont need to buy a new one. Or would I?

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: 2/3/4 weeks from now

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: No. But would like to build this one on my own. all inputs and help appreciated.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Pune

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Am biased towards Intel. Have heard a lot about AMD FX 8350, but that doesnt come with an integrated GPU, so if i buy a 4k Graphics card, it will end up costing almost as much as a Core i7, in which case, I would rather go with i7. Since i mostly like to play safe even if it means spending some more money initially, i think I would like to buy a Haswell Core i7.

Any idea what the lowest priced Haswell i7 costs? Which board to go with it? and will i need to buy a cpu cooler for that?

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
AMD FX 8350 (8 Core, 8MB L2 + 8MB L3, 4 GHz with 4.2 GHz Turbo, full Virtualization support, Vtd and Vtx) @ 12K
ECS 970A-Delux Motherboard @ 5.5K
G-SKill RipjawX 1600 MHz 8GB X 1 DDR3 @ 4.4K
WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA III HDD @ 4K
NZXT Source 210 Elite Cabinet @ 2.7K
Dell S2240L @ 8.5K
Asus DVD R/W 24X SATA @ 1K
GTX 650 Ti @ 10K (Due to better official driver support of nVidia in Linux)
APC 1.1 KVA UPS @ 5K

@Cilus; OP can go with a lower en graphic card as gaming isn't mentioned in his requirements. Also, what's the availability of ECS service centers in India?

FX 8350 (12000)
Asus M5A97 R2.0 (7000)
G.Skill 1600 MHz 4 GB x2 (4800)
WD Blue 1 TB (4000)
Zotac GT630 1 GB (4700)
Seasonic S12II 430W (3600)
NZXT Gamma (2600)
Dell S2240L (8500)
Asus optical drive (1000)

total: 48,200

> APC 600VA UPS will not be sufficient as it can supply only 360 W of maximum power, which is lower than what this config might consume.

OP
J

joecool

Broken In
Thanks for your reply Harshil.

You are absolutety right that I dont want a high-end graphics card.

Not very happy to know that my APC 600VA UPS will not suffice :)

just a general question, upto which processor will my UPS support if i have 16 GB RAM, 2 1TB HDDs and the Dell s2240L too plugged into it.

Cilus

laborare est orare
ECS service is provided by Rp tech Care centre and Rashi Peripherals and both of them are present in major cities in India. So I think OP is safe with the ECS Motherboard I've suggested eariler. Aslo I have suggested a single 8GB stick for a purpose. The type of applications OP has mentioned require a lot of Ram and adding two 4 GB modules will simply reduce the maximum capacity of Ram. In fact with the money saved by going for a low end GPU, OP should get another 8GB Ram, totalling 16 GB Ram which is kinda future proof for Op's requirement.

OP
J

joecool

Broken In
@Cilus,

I am planning to go for 2 x 8 GB RAM.

Since I wont be able to use my current UPS (APC 600) for the above config, I think I will go for FX 6300 with a cheap Graphics card upto 5k or an i5 4430, with a 2 x 1TB HDD. for that, what capacity PSU will be enough? Corsair CX430V2? and will my UPS support this config along with the 22" Dell s2240L.

thanks.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Buddy, I think you will get the time to switch of the system with APC-600VA UPS. And CX-430V2 is enough for both the requirements. Also you can look for Antec VP450 which is slightly cheaper. Regarding Processor choice, stick with FX-8350; it is better than i5-4430 in the type of applications you have mentioned.

OP
J

joecool

Broken In
Thanks Cilus for your replies.

A few things are now making me decide against the 8350. I wont be using it for more than a year, I wont like to spend more than necessary. The thing is I am going to be using this desktop only for about a year, after which i will be giving it to my brother, who will at the max use it for video conferencing. When i give it to him, I would like to help keep the power bill as low as i can (I dont think the difference would be much, but still if all the power is going to be unused, then why not).

How much does an SSD help in performance if I have all my programs and the OS and the VMs installed on it. I wont mind spending 15k on the 256GB Samsung 840 Pro model or similar, if it helps me up the performance, since I can use it with a laptop that I plan to buy next year. How will a FX 6300 or i5 4430 with an SSD compare to the performance of an 8350 used with a HDD?

Top Bottom