New PC for 3D Softwares Like Maya

Status
Not open for further replies.

parimal

Journeyman
Hey guys......I'm planning to buy a new PC for 3D softwares like maya, 3ds max, ZBrush etc. Please recommend me good config. My budget is 50K. Whether I should go for combo like X2 with good mobo like Asus M2N-E or should I go for C2D with P5B....? Also recommend me GFX card....in the range of 8k...I'm thinking of 7600GT.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
read my config in my signature below that might be what you need. Apart from that u may go for RAID 0 as it will help u in rendering images in 3D faster.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
To my knowledge SLI is mostly for gaming, so I am not sure about this but I dont thing u need SLI since SLi helps in faster frame rate to the screen, where as u wound need more juice in rendering.

Getting faster drives 10000RPM or 15000RPM & setting up RAID0 on them will get you speed, but they are too expensive, so u may go for lowest GB drives & will need 2 of them of same config to setup RAID0

I am not sure what all 3D package can use more than 3GB of ram, if they can then u should go for 4GB total ram.

Get a good heatsink for the CPU cooling & OC ur system & see the speed.

assasin

Banned
@parimal P5B Dlx doesnt support SLI,it supports CrossFire.for SLI support u'll hav to buy P5N-E SLI or P5N32-E SLI.as for the gfx card go in for a DX10 card.buying a 7 series card makes no sense now.

OP
P

parimal

Journeyman
Here's another question....one of my friend want to buy PC for web-design and he'll use softwares like Photoshop, Flash, Corel, Dreamweaver etc. Is Athlon 64 X2 is good for him he also should go for C2D.....?

shantanu

Technomancer
athlon X2 or c2d with 1 gb ram will be enough for your friend.. and remember for UI developemt, or graphics or these corel things... QUADRO is the best choice.. it is built for these things.. and it has no hardware accelleration.. so best for Designing.. but you can also get a 7300 if not playing games..

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Core 2 Duo or Athlo64 X2 4200+ AM2 with 2 GB RAM & atleast a Geforce 7300GT with 256 MB VRam

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
I work with MAYA and here is my config : AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.6GHz with 2GB Corsair RAM and 7950GT. Gfx card is used for viewport refreshing and nothing to do with rendering. But a quadro card will certainly help but remember quadro's are not suitable for gaming. Simple rule, for fast rendering one needs a fast processor + as much ram possible. Also try to get the max HDD space.

At minimum try to get what GX has suggested.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
15000 RPM SCSI HDD (HDD is a major bottle neck what it comes to heavy Image/Video Editing
Sam do we have any fast hdd 10-15000 rpm available here in delhi I went to inquire today but could not find any.
Do u use one on ur raid setup?

ax3 said:
2 work on these highend softwares ........ u must have 4 gb of RAM 2 work SMOOTHLY .........
Plenty of discussions on this on other forums have made me understood that 32 bit application cannot use more than 3Gb that too u have to enable it in boot.ini

So 4gb as of now is waste max u may go is 3gb.

Last edited:

darklord

Cyborg Agent
ranjan2001 said:
Sam do we have any fast hdd 10-15000 rpm available here in delhi I went to inquire today but could not find any.
Do u use one on ur raid setup?

Plenty of discussions on this on other forums have made me understood that 32 bit application cannot use more than 3Gb that too u have to enable it in boot.ini

So 4gb as of now is waste max u may go is 3gb.

You need to buy SCSI card to use SCSI drives.WD Raptor is 10k RPM and SATA.
Although newer generation Perpendicular recording drives are almost equalling it in terms of performance.So need to get those uber expensive drives for speed.Seagates 7200.10 drives are really fast. :)
For workstation SCSI based RAID ARRAY like mirroring is better suited i guess. :wink:

Using XP64 you can utilise 4GB RAM and it seems 4GB RAM does come in handy while rendering n all.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
sam9s said:
No Ranjan I never have myself used 10/15 K RPM drives but have worked on them, SCSI HDD are pretty expensive. I am more in to Video Editing and some modereate image editing with MAX and photoshop. I have not faced any issues in any of my video projects with my current rig (Infact I am pretty satisfied) except maybe I would like to have more ram. As far as RAID is concerned I did it with my two 160 GB drives and frankly speaking it was more just out of curiosity of how RAID works rather than the reason of getting better performance. When I ran short of GBs I reverted back to normal config. And yes I guess you can use 4 GB of RAM with xp64/Vista and all 32 Bit applications should work fine on it.

I will agree with you there.RAID 0 or stripping though fast is not worth it cos your data is at risk.Even if one drive of the 2 fails, you loose all your data.RAID 1 is better for data security but 1 drive goes for parity :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom