New motherboard needed!

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
My motherboard recently changed it's status to dead when it's cpu power connector stopped working. It already had a dead RAM slot. I posted in the hardware section for suggestions but not getting any responses. So, i have zeroed in on these two motherboards as replacements, because it's month end and i am tight on money.

*mdcomputers.in/asrock-motherboard-g41m-vs3.html?search=g41

MSI G41M-P33 Mother Board Combo with DDR2 & DDR3 RAM SUPPORT - Buy @ Best Price in India | Snapdeal

Just a few questions from you all..
1. Since these support ddr3, can i use it with my old cpu? Core2Quad Q8400
2. Any compatibility issues i might have overlooked?

Suggest ASAP. Buying on thursday.

jasku

In the zone
1) I dont see why your processor should not work with DDR3 ram.
2) I dont think so

The only other thing you may want to take into consideration is that the MSI board has DDR2 compatibility you could possibly salvage your existing RAM.

PS- I think I have a Asus P5WDH Deluxe board lying around, I could give it to you will have to look for it.

OP
justme101

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
Thanks for the offer! But your motherboard doesn't support ddr3 and if my setup works with ddr3, i will gt a performance boost and i really hope it does.

So, i'll just order the motherboard now and check with a ddr3 ram from someone's pc. If all is well, I'll get a budget ddr3 stick later.

Thank you! :)

jasku

In the zone
Thanks for the offer! But your motherboard doesn't support ddr3 and if my setup works with ddr3, i will gt a performance boost and i really hope it does.

So, i'll just order the motherboard now and check with a ddr3 ram from someone's pc. If all is well, I'll get a budget ddr3 stick later.

Thank you! :)

Sure thing man, I thought you wanted to use your existing RAM (I presumed to be DDR2), if you can organize a DDR3 stick nothing like it!

PS- There isnt going to be a telling difference between DDR2 and DDR3 on your setup. Think the gain would be around ~2%.

OP
justme101

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
May be! But using 2GB ddr2 and 4GB ddr3 will surely be noticable i think. Earlier i had to wait around 10 seconds for CSGO to open up after only minimizing it with alt+tab. Hope this time not.

Top Bottom