New lawsuit looming over Google's use of 'Gmail'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
A British company is considering filing a lawsuit against Google over its use of the Gmail name.

After 15 months of negotiations with Google, Independent International Investment Research has been unable to reach a settlement with Google on use of the trademark and may sue the search giant, Shane Smith, chief executive of Independent II Research, said Tuesday.

Independent II Research, a provider of investment research, has been using the "G-Mail" name for its Pronet subsidiary's Web-based e-mail product since May 2002, Smith said. That was two years before Google launched its Gmail Web-based e-mail service in April 2004. The "G" in Independent II Research's product name stands for "Graphiti," an integrated text and graphics feature, he said.

Continue Reading at *techrepublic.com.com/2100-10878_11-5863391.html?tag=nl.e099.tp10-101005

It is an old news but still interesting. Published: 13 September 2005

godsownman

Padawan
Its not old news for me ,

But its sad I quite like the name Gmail .
They have already changed the name in Germany to Google Mail and they might think of some new name if this goes on.

Actually I hope they do not change it because its quite a nice name .

Lets wait and watch.

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
Don't want anything to happen to user accounts. Any tampering with the name will do; not so with the mail accounts...

Retro

Journeyman
Gmail is a really nice & cool name and suits the email service perfectly. I love it and I hope Google don't have to change its name. But Google will probably buy their way out like MS did. After all, they are a Billion $$ Company.

~ CC

goobimama

 Macboy
Stupid companies. Can't they understand that Gmail is very popular and let it go? If I could just go there and kick someone's...

godsownman

Padawan
goobimama said:
Stupid companies. Can't they understand that Gmail is very popular and let it go? If I could just go there and kick someone's...

Actually its not so simple. Anyway if you get to do so give them a double dose ( one from me too). :wink:

Regards

kato

Karthiksn
companies are not stupid goobimama its just bcoz gmail is famous that they have filed the suit u should atleast get some money when u file the suit. So the catch the ones with good businesses. :wink:

planetcall

Indian by heart
Gmail

Like everybody else here I too love GMail and use it proudly. Google is a very big and honoured company having very good faith in the heart of its usrs. But that doesnt mean Google can rule above law. I personally feel that if the petitioner had legitimately registered the name then it should be his intellectual property and there should be no further infringement by a noble company like google. Similar was the case with "ITune" by Apple when a guy already had his domain registered years ago this new apple concept. The point I would like to put in that the small fishes have every right to survive and protect their property. Without being too rude to these companies whom we dont know we should be generous enough to accept any other neo-fancy name that google decides to name to its famous GMail service. I have no problem accepting that. Though it would be harsh and impractical to say if google will have to change GMail to something else coz no one can predict what happens, the only thing remains is that the justice must prevail.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
There are practical difficulties in changing the name now, because lots of users have signed up for gmail email and are already using it as their main mail clients, which would be in several others' address books and changing the name now means changing their domain name also, which means different email addresses and lots of invalid addresses.

Perhaps, this litigation is the reason why GMail is still beta.

If a different name is to put on, I would like GoMail. (Hope this one too is not intellectual to someone else, lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom