New Laptop Help. !! Thanks in advance :)

perplexed

Journeyman
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

$1900 or Rs 90k

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen but preferably 15"

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: No idea in that range.
b. Dislike: Dell ( But I would use that brand if I find good user reviews )

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Office work, Coding, Some heavy virtualization Servers ( plz don't ask me what )

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?

15" preferably but not less than 14". Full HD compatible. Matte or whichever is better and I frankly don't know which is best. Sounds matte is better :p

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)

a. Processor should be preferably 3rd gen i7. Decent enough Graphics card with zero overheating issues.

b. SSD ( but that's a long shot )

c. Backlit keyboard

d. Future Proof

e. Battery life of around 3 hours.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Nothing better than this> SVS15116GN : S Series : VAIO Laptop & Computer : Sony India

15"6 1080p with IPS display
i7-3612QM
640M LE (good enough for you)
SSD - you can add in remaining budget (Crucial m4 256GB would be ideal @ 212$ @ newegg)
Backlit - yes!
Battery life > 4hrs.

samudragupta

Youngling
you should opt for the new dell Inspiron 17 Special Edition The Dell Online Store: Build Your System and ask the rep for a FHD screen...

OP
perplexed

perplexed

Journeyman
He asked for "thin n light" laptop, and 17" is by no means light.

Yeah.. don't want a laptop above 2KG. At max 2.1 KG.. anything above that is a strict no..

btw, thanks for all the suggestions but regarding Asus, if I am not wrong the weight will not meet my requirements..

btw, how are Vaio Laptops ? I checked this model :

SVS15116GN : S Series : VAIO Laptop & Computer : Sony India

priced at 79990, it comes with 3rd gen i7 2.1 GHz processor and 15.5" widescreen FULL-HD with Intel 4000/Nvidia 640M LE graphics(not kepler architecture I know but still decent). And it weighs only 2KG .

I realize the budget is on a bit higher side but I want it to be future proof for like 2 years.. ie. to be able to run virtually anything be it latest games or ultra heavy softwares.. :)

OP
perplexed

perplexed

Journeyman
Nothing better than this> SVS15116GN : S Series : VAIO Laptop & Computer : Sony India

i7-3612QM
SSD - you can add in remaining budget (Crucial m4 256GB would be ideal @ 212$ @ newegg)
Backlit - yes!
Battery life > 4hrs.

Thanks I too checked it yesterday and I liked it instantly.. :-D

rider

as Kratos
Apple Macbook pro 15 (base model) would be the best option in your budget. Will cost you around 93k with college student ID.

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
MBP pro base model doesn't come with FHD display. Only the Retina Models use high res screens (IPS). And that starts from 1.5 lacs.

rider

as Kratos
yea, it is not with retina display but 900p incredible display. Apart from display its a mac, much much better in performance than a PC (windows). 1.5lac is upper model not the base one, my friend bought base model for 93-95k via student ID.

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
I said base RETINA model. :) And the 900p screen isn't that great. Its extremely glossy. The Vaio SE screen is better than the 900p screen on the MBP.

Can you tell me the full specs of this base model ? I'm unable to find the specs. Post links to all MBP configurations if you can please. Will be helpful

Last edited:

rider

as Kratos
^
I said base RETINA model. :) And the 900p screen isn't that great. Its extremely glossy. The Vaio SE screen is better than the 900p screen on the MBP.

Can you tell me the full specs of this base model ? I'm unable to find the specs. Post links to all MBP configurations if you can please. Will be helpful

Screen is not the only thing in the laptop, vaio is a windows device. MBP and its OS X is much faster in real life performance. And for that much budget ($1900) almost everyone prefer to buy a classy apple product.

*www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074712UY/sr=8-2/qid=1340636524/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1340636524&seller=&sr=8-2

Model name: Apple MacBook Pro MD103LL/A will cost 95k in student ID.

Previous gen model of same segment ebay link

Last edited:

aroraanant

Explorer

i7-3612QM
Backlit - yes!
Battery life > 4hrs.

+1
Even I suggest the same.
Or you can wait for few weeks and let the other companies/brands come up with new laptops with IVB processors

OP
perplexed

perplexed

Journeyman
+1
Even I suggest the same.
Or you can wait for few weeks and let the other companies/brands come up with new laptops with IVB processors

sure thanks all for the suggestions.. I am not too much into gaming.. once in a while I may end up playing some classics like mario/dave/road rash :p

Top Bottom