New HTPC - Budget ~15,000

sekhar4web

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans:
Purpose: Media Center
Application: XBMC (XBMCBuntu) / not shy in trying Win 7 + MC
No Gaming.
In Future: Light Arcade Games for my toddler (Not very important)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:
Rs. 10,000
Can stretch up to Rs. 15,000 (More or Less if its worth a shot)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Ubuntu (XBMCbuntu)

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:
80 GB or 160 GB max.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No
(I got a cheap Panasonic TV that accepts HDMI)

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: None

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:
Anytime I get the proper config from this thread.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes! many moons ago.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:
Chennai. Online and Ritchie street.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:

More things to say.
I am not quite sure about Intel vs AMD.
The PC is primarily for Media (1080p HD Movies, Music).
I don't own an AV receiver. I do own a Zebronics 5.1 speaker (ZEB SW 10000R) which I say is fairly decent.

I currently run my XBMC on a Compaq Presario C300, VGA out plus stereo speaker, at present I hate it.

Things I like to add to my requirements are:
Mobo should support
a) HDMI output
b) Optional SPDIF / TOSLINK / Optical Output
c) Not fancying on 7 channel audio, as I won't use it.
d) If Mobo has some things like Dolby/Tru sound/DTS will be nice :)

I am open to your suggestions as of now.

Thanks a bunch!

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
intel g2020 - 3.3k
gigabyte ga b75m d3h - 4.2k or gigabyte ga h61m- d2h - 3.3k
corsair value select 4gb - 2.2k
wd blue 500gb -3k
asus odd - 1k
antec bp300 - 1.9k
local cabby - 0.7k
logitech mk200 - 0.7k

OP
S

sekhar4web

intel g2020 - 3.3k
wd blue 500gb -3k
asus odd - 1k
antec bp300 - 1.9k
local cabby - 0.7k
logitech mk200 - 0.7k

@rijinpk1
Thanks! bro, I quite like the config.
I like to remove few things like ODD, Logitech keyboard, HDD and Local Cabby.
Instead I have a laptop HDD and I am more leaned towards Cooler Master Elite 361 range.

* I totally liked Corsair Carbide version (out of budget :()

What's your take on PSU? I found Microtech 430W for Rs. 550?

And any suggestion for Laptop HDD hooked to the HTPC?

Thanks again!

a

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
I would say better buy a powerful Tablet with a HDMI out to use it as HTPC or whatever that marketing term means. XBMC is available for android. This solution will save you electricity, heat, wire clutter, space, peripherals etc etc. Im doing the same as of late.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
I would say better buy a powerful Tablet with a HDMI out to use it as HTPC or whatever that marketing term means. XBMC is available for android. This solution will save you electricity, heat, wire clutter, space, peripherals etc etc. Im doing the same as of late.

+1. Even android mini boxes today are very powerful and cheap and once hooked to HDTV, you can enjoy all conveniences of a media centre.

OP
S

sekhar4web

@Incinerator

I have seen many boxes like that from WD and ASUS. But I wanted to build an HTPC, so that it will give me some sort of satisfaction, that will also allow me to upgrade graphic card or sound card in future or add any hardware in future.

If I wanted to use that machine for dev purpose (purely for linux) I can just remove the plugs and hook it up to my 22 inch samsung monitor and continue with my development.

I personally appreciate your suggestion but I am kind of totally attached with XBMC's UI and fastness.

I may try out Rasberry Pi before opting for Android box.

Cheers :)

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
@rijinpk1
Thanks! bro, I quite like the config.
I like to remove few things like ODD, Logitech keyboard, HDD and Local Cabby.
Instead I have a laptop HDD and I am more leaned towards Cooler Master Elite 361 range.

* I totally liked Corsair Carbide version (out of budget :()

What's your take on PSU? I found Microtech 430W for Rs. 550?

And any suggestion for Laptop HDD hooked to the HTPC?

Thanks again!

a

laptop hdd can be used but will be actually slower than desktop ones.
never ever choose a low quality psu. you should get antec bp300p at the minimum. if possible antec vp450p which will be good for future upgrades also.these psus are the critical part of this pc which delivers power to all other system components. if it is not good, what na?suggested antec psu comes with certain security measures and protection components which those cheap psus lacks.
also. coolermaster 361 lacks cable management afaik. so not a good idea. instead get nzxt gamma.

OP
S

sekhar4web

@rijinpk1 - now that convinced me to get a good PSU and HDD.

One last question, will the board you suggested can handle future upgrades like Graphic card and Sound card together?
Sorry for being stupid!

For the case/cabby, I am planning to get a cheap cabin and gonna do an extensive mod based on IBM model found in olden days like these (Mosquito's IBM 5170 Mod).
My dad had couple of these but he saw no value and threw it away, now I feel for it.

This will give a thorough retro look or I may model based on retro Philips (valve tube) like radio cabinet in wood.

I will use the cheap cabby as a stay for the mobo.

I am okay with the config, gonna hit the store in ritchie street in weekend and moore market on sunday to get one of those IBM cabby.

Please pour in your ideas

URPradhan

Journeyman
intel g2020 - 3.3k
wd blue 500gb -3k
asus odd - 1k
antec bp300 - 1.9k
local cabby - 0.7k
logitech mk200 - 0.7k

How will be this modified one ?

intel g2020 - 3.3k
gigabyte ga b75m d3h - 4.2k
x corsair value select 4gb - 2.2k G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL) - 2.8k
x wd blue 500gb -3k Seagate 1TB (ST1000DM003)
x asus odd - 1k LG ODD 0.9k
x antec bp300 - 1.9k Corsair CX430
local cabby - 0.7k
logitech mk200 - 0.7k

I was browsing for branded desktop PCs and came to know that even g2020,2gb ram,500hdd,18.5" monitor,speaker,kb+mouse costs around 23k with 1 yr onsite warranty. Then whats the benefit of assembling one for the approximately same price with?

OP
S

sekhar4web

Thanks Guys!!!
Sorry for late reply.

On a gigabyte ga b75m d3h is it possible to whack in a decent entry level graphic card plus a sound card together? (not for gaming but for pure HTPC goodness in terms of sound). These will be purely for future upgrades.

Also is there any suggestion to go for a mobo other than gigabyte?

Thanks a bunch!

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks Guys!!!
Sorry for late reply.

On a gigabyte ga b75m d3h is it possible to whack in a decent entry level graphic card plus a sound card together? (not for gaming but for pure HTPC goodness in terms of sound). These will be purely for future upgrades.

Also is there any suggestion to go for a mobo other than gigabyte?

Thanks a bunch!

definitely yes.
other b75 chipset mobo are costlier. this gigabyte is a good bang for buck for now.

OP
S

sekhar4web

definitely yes.
other b75 chipset mobo are costlier. this gigabyte is a good bang for buck for now.

Fantastic! I am zeroing on the config, will hit the Ritchie street to see if there is any bargain and grab one, atleast the mobo and proc for now.

Top Bottom