New HDD - Which One ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazydude

Journeyman
I am thinking of investing in a new HDD. My old 160 GB Samsung one is giving me problems.

What would you suggest.

I am thinking on the terms of a 200 GB Seagate Barracuda, but that is hard to come by as I am in Gujarat.

How are Diamond Maxtor HDD -- 200GB Ones.

I do not wanna invest in another Samsung one, coz by personal experience, I think they are just a bunch of c**p.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Hmm, there is no real performance factor as far as HDD goes (IMO)....

I have 250gb maxtor diamond plus..., got some virus into that and now it's ok. Along with it i also have a 20 gb old samsung as the slave drive...

Now gonna get 400gb, 7200 rpm.... maxtor diamond gold for rs. 5500-6000.

No such performance thing, as far as hdd goes to the best of my knowledge..., get some branded ones like sms, maxtor, seagate and u r done man. 8)

Vyasram

The pWnster
I would prefer you to buy a Seagate HDD since it is probably India's most trusted one and regarding the storage unless u are going to store movies i mean tonnes of them you dont need a that big HDD .Even a 80gb HDD is enough. I too have a 80gb hdd and i store movies in cds.If you want to store them on hdd buy something in the 200-250 range and buy a 7200rpm hdd.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Seagate has come out with a new family of HDD called the 7200 : 8 These HDD give the performance of 10K rpm disks and i would strongly recommend you to buy one. I just bought 8 of the 400G HDD and they work as a dream. The HDD is a very importat component in the system spead and liveleness not many people recognise this fact any way keep this point in mind when you buy your new hdd. Also stay clear of Samsung thay are not worth your money.

G

gxsaurav

no matter what U got, ATA or SATA, if U want really low noise & good performance go for Samsung with 8MB cache & 7200

swatkat

Technomancer
If cost is no bar, and if u have SATA support, then go for this Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 10,000 RPM, 200 GB drive which costs Rs.13000.
Performance is simply mind blowing.Read TechTree Review.

OP
K

krazydude

Journeyman
Thanx, but I am gonna stay away from Samsung as much as I can.

Yep am looking for SATA support that is a must and

400gb, 7200 rpm.... maxtor diamond gold for rs. 5500-6000.

damm that is a steal drgrudge

Thnx guys, I think I will wait for a Seagate, if that does not come across then will go for a Maxtor Diamond one and if I get a good deal as suggested by drgrudge, then will go in for the 400 gb one.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I've installed a large number of Seagate HDDs over the past 3 yrs, and not a single one has failed. Only a very few have developed bad sectors, but these had been subjected to gross misuse. Seagate drives are also among the quietest.

I've never personally used Samsung HDDs, but I've known several that died or developed bad sectors. I also often read in newsgroups about problems people have with Maxtor and Western Digital drives, but very seldom with Seagate.

If you already have a mobo with SATA, there's no harm in going for a SATA HDD. But current SATA drives give no significant performance gain over their PATA cousins.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
krazydude said:
400gb, 7200 rpm.... maxtor diamond gold for rs. 5500-6000.

damm that is a steal drgrudge

Thnx guys, I think I will wait for a Seagate, if that does not come across then will go for a Maxtor Diamond one and if I get a good deal as suggested by drgrudge, then will go in for the 400 gb one.
Hmm, this one may not be available in India as yet, or even if, then it wont cost rs. 6k.

This Hdd, i will be buying in new york , every year they put up rebate sale there, so try getting the hdd from there, u cant get a hdd as cheap as 6k.

akshayc

Broken In
Seagate, Western Digital, or Maxtor. Go for a model with 8Mb Cache. Buy Samsung if you want to throw your money down the drain. Even better, just throw/ burn the cash, but dont buy samsung. Prefer Seagate coz of the 5yr warranty. A trip to mumbai to buy it would be worth it I guess.

OP
K

krazydude

Journeyman
Ok guys I finally bought the Maxtor 200 GB SATA drive and my prob :( damm these do not end is this

1. After partitioning it, it just gives me 130 GB to play with, 70 GB gone :(

2. Is this only for IBM PC's ?? Mine is an assembled one ??

3. Will the excessive use of bittorrents destroy it ?? :) -- know this one is gonna make sum laff

4. I connect this 200 GB as a slave and my original 160 GB one so that I can transfer data frm the 160GB to the 200 GB one and the 200 GB slave one does not show up at all. Does the motherboard not support it or is there another way to transfer files frm one HDD to another SATA style :p ?? :wink:

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
- check m/b manufacturers site for limit of hdd . check if they have a bios update .

- check maxtors site on this issue . sometimes u just have to limit the capacity and then it will be recognised , ur situation "4"

- use maxtors disk manager (maxblast) , bootable floppy or cdrom iso to create and format the partitions . real quick work . maxtors DM itself might have troubleshooting steps once u bootup , in its faq . also keep PowerMax utility handy

- register the drive online and see if they have extended warranty or other goodies

- remember to take a couple of backups of ur MBR with the DM , after u partition and install all ur OSes
- how many years warranty for ur ,maxtor drive ?

OP
K

krazydude

Journeyman
Thnx dude, I will check on that, the warranty is for 3 yrs rite now and that is what is making me think now should I opt out of it and go for a Seagate Barracuda.

BTW which is better SATA or Ultra ATA ?? I know SATA is better than PATA but then what is Ultra ATA ??

godzi_85

In the zone
krazydude said:
Ok guys I finally bought the Maxtor 200 GB SATA drive and my prob :( damm these do not end is this

1. After partitioning it, it just gives me 130 GB to play with, 70 GB gone :(

2. Is this only for IBM PC's ?? Mine is an assembled one ??

3. Will the excessive use of bittorrents destroy it ?? :) -- know this one is gonna make sum laff

4. I connect this 200 GB as a slave and my original 160 GB one so that I can transfer data frm the 160GB to the 200 GB one and the 200 GB slave one does not show up at all. Does the motherboard not support it or is there another way to transfer files frm one HDD to another SATA style :p ?? :wink:

1)if you have winXP(with SP1 or sP2) then you`ll only get 130gb of space
winxp sp1 addresses the issues of hdd bigger than 137gb..
3) lolzzzzzzzzz... destroy what the computer or HDD?? and don`t worry it won`t destroy anything.... i use it a24*7 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom