New Google Camera app released in Play Store with Lens Blur and a new UI !

quagmire

Allllright !
Here's A Complete Look At All That's Changed In The New Google Camera [Hands-On]

[Breaking] Google Releases Stock Camera App To The Play Store [APK Download]

Announcement

Today we’re launching Google Camera, a new app for your Android phone or tablet that makes it easy to take quick photos and videos. And being behind the lens just got more fun with new creative picture modes.
Sleek Design. The 100% viewfinder gets out of your way while capturing the maximum resolution of the scene (no dropped pixels). And the extra large capture button is easy to press so your eyes never lose sight of the subject.
Lens Blur. Emphasize the subject while blurring the background for an SLR-like shot with shallow depth-of-field (or bokeh). You can even change the subject in focus after taking the shot.
Improved Panorama. New higher resolution panoramas capture the full width and detail of a scene.
Photo Sphere. Immersive 360 degree photo spheres let you look up, down and all around...now at up to 50 megapixels! For the first time available on non-Nexus devices.
Google Camera is now available on the Play store (*goo.gl/llsZjx), and works on all phones and tablets running Android 4.4+ KitKat. We’re just getting started, and in the months ahead we'll make Google Camera available to more devices, helping make photography easier, faster and more fun.
Check out our Research Blog to learn more (*goo.gl/lUDfi8).

While Google has continued to toss new features into the camera app shipped on its Nexus devices, many Android phones replace it with something else. But just as we revealed a few weeks ago, now it's available in the Play Store, ready to run on any phone or tablet using Android 4.4 KitKat. Beyond bits like Photo Sphere that we've seen before, Google is filling in the blanks on its new "Lens Blur" option. Meant to emphasize the subject while blurring the background for an impressive depth of field effect, it uses algorithms to simulate the large camera lens and aperture your phone or tablet doesn't actually have. Taking the photo requires an upward sweep to capture multiple images, used to estimate the depth of objects for a 3D map that lets the software re-render the photo later and blur specific items based on where it thinks they are. Google's Research Blog has more details on how it's all done, including the Lytro-like ability to change which object is in focus after you take the shot.

*o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/13b97179380d140fb21f7323b425d673/200038795/image2.jpg

*4.bp.blogspot.com/-bZJNDZGLS_U/U03bQE2VzKI/AAAAAAAAARI/yQwRovcDWRQ/s1600/image3.png

Tired of tilt-shift effects after years of Instagramming, no matter how much math is at work? There's more to the new camera app than that; it has all the other features we'd heard about, like a "100% viewfinder" that makes sure you can see everything that will be in the picture on your screen before the shot is taken with no "dropped pixels" and a larger capture button. Panorama shots are better now too, with higher resolution, and Google's 360-degree Photo Spheres can be captured at up to 50 megapixels.

Of course, the other element is that Google can extend its camera setup onto Android phones and tablets by other manufactures like LG, HTC and Samsung. So far their skinned retail devices have often skipped Google's enhancements for custom camera apps of their own, but like many other Android features over the years (Gmail, Calendar, Keyboard) making it an app in the marketplace should bring its features to more devices, and allow for frequent updates. If you don't yet have Android 4.4 KitKat, there's still hope, as the team says this app will come to more devices over the coming months.

We gave it a quick try, and while not all of the features are available on every device (no Photo Sphere option on our Moto G, for example) it worked pretty well. Taking a Lens Blur photo is similar to a panorama -- except for swiping the camera vertically, and we were able to go back and edit the resulting image quickly. One cool, but unmentioned addition to the app is a reminder for video recording that tells you to put the phone in landscape instead of holding it in portrait. Surely, you already knew to do that, but hopefully it makes the next WorldStarHipHop brawl easier to watch in widescreen.

Google's new camera app brings Photo Sphere and Lens Blur to Android devices

- - - Updated - - -

Recieved update on Nexus 7. Its epic :hyper:

Superayush

Tech lover
Hmm has anyone tested it saw some mixed response from people some saying the lens blur is quite bugged at moment and dosent focus well of the required object etc but might give it a try as I have a kitkat device :D :p huehuehue

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Yes, blur mode is buggy and in some places, it looks like patch tool work. But now camera app is much faster. Not much of an improvement in my opinion.

$hadow

Geek in making
Well I guess this is kinda unpolished nexus 6 camera. It has become snappier in tap to focus and they also tried to implement HTC one m8 camera feature which blurs out the other object and focuses on what you requires.

tkin

Back to school!!
Lens Blur is bugged as hell, I only managed to take 1 shot out of 7 tries, and even that came out bad, nothing like what the picture above is describing, I bet that a selfie like that with lens blur will take a day to capture. And this is tried on a G2, the stock camera app takes a 100 times better photo than this.

tkin

Back to school!!
Please quote a better alternative for Photosphere (for Android), Gmail, Chrome, Google Now, Google News...
What is the use of Google now anyway? Except to suddenly pop up and say that my work/home is a random moment away...

sushovan

In the zone
Google Now is a waste and Chrome is perhaps the worst browser one could use in 512 MB RAM droids. Naked Browser is thousand times better option than Chrome.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Please quote a better alternative for Photosphere (for Android), Gmail, Chrome, Google Now, Google News...
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or high with some good stuffs, anyway. Gmail? You are kidding right? An email app which can't delete a single email out of a conversation, no sent email notification! I have been using AquaMail Pro for past one year, before that I used to use K9, the first app I uninstall is Gmail app without even thinking twice.

Chrome : You are kidding again right? Does Chrome support flash? Without Xposed I can't even use it with full screen! I honestly tried it some time last year, don't even know how is it now! Second app I uninstall without thinking. Alternative? How many shall I post here? I am a Naked Pro user, and have been for past six months. The new stock S5 browser is pretty good anyway. Anything is better than Chrome, anything.

Google Now? Used it when it was first released. That was it. Like any other apps from Google, hype. Don't use it any more, what's the point of using it anyway?

Google News? Lol, never heard of it! But you seriously don't think that out of thousand news related apps in Play, Google News has any chance to be the superior here!

Photsphere? That 360° photo, never tried, no interest :|

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
*www.thinkdigit.com/Apps/Why-the-new-Google-Camera-app-for_20545.html :lol:

Last night, Google launched Google Camera, a new app for Android phones and tablets which Google claims “makes it easy to take quick photos and videos.” Google also says that “being behind the lens just got more fun with new creative picture modes.”

The app also adds Lens Blur feature, Improved Panorama and Photo Sphere images that can capture images of up to 50 megapixels! All great… But...

Where the hell are my settings?

The new app lets you swipe in from the edge of the screen to reveal new “cool” features or photo modes. But what about regular... ahem... humdrum settings like self-timer, scene modes, white balance? In a quest for simplicity, Google has gone ahead and ditched these – in my opinion “essential settings.” The only setting that you can bring back is Exposure but that too by going into advanced settings by tapping on the cog icon while the lens blur and panorama overlay are on.

100% viewfinder coverage

The previous app showed a 16:9 crop from a 4:3 sensor, just to fill the screen. This meant that you only saw a part of an image in the viewfinder, whereas the actual captured images would be bigger. Now with the current update, what you see is what you get – a good thing; step in the right direction. But did you really need that extra large capture button? I understand that you need to fill the extra space left from showing a 4:3 image on a 16:9 screen, but couldn’t you use that space to have on-screen settings? Is it worth having a shutter button on one-fifth of your screen? Ugh.

Lens Blur performance is hazy

Bad pun aside, shooting in lens blur mode isn't easy. It takes some time getting used to it and more than 50% of the time you will need to take the shot again.

Once a shot is taken successfully, it takes a loonnngggg time to process/render the image.

After that, on viewing the image with lens blur mode, you get an option to shift focus, allowing you to bring the desired part of the frame in focus and blur the rest. The feature works pretty fine for a software-based implementation. The slider at the bottom to adjust the blur intensity is a nice touch. Here are some samples with focus being shifted to different parts of the frame and comparison to the original frame shot with lens blur mode (you can click on the individual images to see them at the actual resolution in a new tab).

rish1

Cyborg Agent
The only Google apps which are decent are Maps and YouTube.
Anything else is utter hype.

i haven't tried youtube app in a long time, i left it because it use to stop streaming as soon as phone was put on sleep mode, i think it use to stop as well when the app was minimized..
like the speeds on 2g aren't good .. so 1 could pause the video and let it stream fully and watch later..

i use to hate youtube app for this.. and this was even before the "new shitty youtube" was born

has this problem been resolved ?

Last edited:

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Nope, absolutely not. I can't even imagine using the YouTube app on a 2G connection.

If I have plan to watch any video later, I simply download it, TubeMate FTW.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Not compatible with my Atrix 2 JB Stock :/ , should with my alternate Kitkat installation.

Top Bottom