New external HDD

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
I want to buy a 1 TB external HDD but am not sure about which brand should I go for. I have never used any external HDD personally for a long time so I am not sure about the warranty/price/speed etc provided by different companies.

I need it just as a backup device, no need for high end encryption etc. Should be portable enough that I can carry in my bag whenever required.

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
What is the exact difference between WD ultra and WD passport/ element?

Also paytm is offering 1500 cashback on all external hard disks but the price is approximately 400-500 higher than other sites so will it be beneficial if I buy from paytm?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
+1 to WD my passport/ultra.

I saw it going for Rs 4500 on paytm with Rs 1500 as cashback on paytm wallet, making effective price of HDD as Rs 3000. It's the lowest that I know of, a 1 TB HDD has been.

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
Alright, but what exactly is the difference between passprt/ultra and element. Element is few hundred rupees cheaper so is the transfer speed or some thing else which differ between the two?

DK_WD

WD Official
Alright, but what exactly is the difference between passprt/ultra and element. Element is few hundred rupees cheaper so is the transfer speed or some thing else which differ between the two?

Hi [MENTION=147515]deepanshuchg[/MENTION],

The main difference between them is that WD My Passport and WD My Passport Ultra incorporates a hardware encryption, and WD Elements does not.

Also, WD Elements comes without any software, whereas WD My Passport Ultra and WD My Passport has a lot of features with it.

For more information about WD External drives, you may visit the below link:

Support Answers

Hope this information helps you :)

$hadow

Geek in making

Passport ultra has more security features and a bit more sleek design. If design is not a problem I would still insist on spending more and getting better security. WD does know it how to make it secure.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
dont get elements now
I have an Elements 2tb desktop drive,Mypassport Ultra 1tb(3 of them) and an elements se 500gb
the elements drives are slower and slightly bulkier than the Ultra
Ultra has a nicer form factor and better speeds than my Elements drives
its totally worth the extra money imho

- - - Updated - - -

as for security , the Ultra has a bunch of preloaded software for it but i didnt really get around to use it

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
one con of the ultra though,is that you cant remove the drive to use in another enclosure/laptop etc
elements can do that
other than that,the pros of the Ultra outweigh its cons

Top Bottom