networking of win98 & winXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajeevchavan

Broken In
Hi
I have 2 comps.
comp 1 : P4,256mb RAM,80GB & 40 GB HDD,winXP
comp 2 : p166 MMX,32MB RAM,20 GB HDD,wi98.
Earlier on Comp 1 I had win98 and 40GB HDD.I had connected the 2 comps using 2 LAN cards.Now I have installed winXP on new 80GB HDD on p4.I tried connecting 2 comps but could not do so.WinXP detects other comp(show in Workgroup) sends many bites but receives only 1-2 bites when pinged.When I double click on computer name on comp 2 .I get msg about not having rights to access the other comp and should report to administrator or smth to that effect.Pls advice what should be done to network 2 comps.Any tutorial/link expalining this will also be helpful
TIA
Rajeev Chavan

sakumar79

Technomancer
In addition to above link, you should also ensure the user name/password combination that you are using in Win98 system should be available in WinXP system

Arun

OP
R

rajeevchavan

Broken In
Hi
Thanks for the guidance.I tried establishing connection between 2 comps both
running win98 as per the link provided.I was able to establish connection
between comp 2 and comp 1 but not between comp 1 and comp 2 ie I can access
comp 1 from comp 2 but I cannot access comp 2 from comp 1.When I clicked
Network Neighborhood sometimes I can see comp 2 in the network and double
clicking on that produces error about wrong name of comp 2.I have checked the
name of comp 2 . It is the same as the one being mentioned in error msg
My comp 2 is called as "Sonali" in Settings > Control panel > Network >
Identification but still I get msg \\Sonali is wrong.Why this happens ?
Pls help
TIA
Rajeev Chavan

sakumar79

Technomancer
Check if you can ping comp2 from comp1 using its IP address... Then, check if you can access comp2 from comp1 by its IP address instead of name ie type \\x.x.x.x in the address bar instead of \\Sonali.

Arun

OP
R

rajeevchavan

Broken In
Hi Arun
I tried as you mentioned.Here is what I got
comp1
ping 192.168.0.1 > request timed out
ping 192.168.0.2 > request timed out

comp2
ping 192.168.0.1 > request timed out
ping 192.168.0.2 > packets set 4,received 4, Lost = 0

If I put in comp1 in Explorer Address Bar
\\192.168.0.1 > I get Windows cannot find '\\192.168.0.1'. Check the spelling and try again.I get the same msg for \\192.168.0.2.However if I put
\192.168.0.1.On the right hand pane of Explorer I get This page cannot be displayed.If I put \192.168.0.2 . I get the msg "Windows cannot find '\\192.168.0.1'. Check the spelling and try again."
One thing I forgot to mentioned,On comp1 I have 2 LAN cards .The other one is identified as 192.168.0.5.Could there be a conflict between the two.If so what is to be done ?Pls advice
TIA
Rajeev Chavan

Sourabh

Laptoping
First thing, on the Win98 system, pop in the XP setup Cd and thru the autorun file>Perform Additional Tasks>Setup a Home or Small Office Network.

Make sure the workgroups are same. But as for the IP of the second card is concerned, I guess you would have the change one of them. If its of ur local cable net vendor and you cant change it, sue another ip for this network. Follow the steps as in the guide given.

sakumar79

Technomancer
What is the second card for? If it is not being used, disable it in Hardware list and try... Also, are you able to access the comp with \\192.168.0.5?

Arun

OP
R

rajeevchavan

Broken In
Hi
Thanks for guidance.The other card is for broadband connection.I would not like to disable it because if I am ubanle to connect it I will not be able to connect to internet.
Sourabh has mentioned to use another IP for this broadband card.Pls tell which IP address ? As I mentioned earlier I would like to make as minimun changes as possible.
Now I am facing another problem.On the new 80GB HDD I want to create 3 partitions which I have done(C:30GB,D:30GB,e:20GB).I wand to install win98 in C:,winXP in D: and keep 3rd(e:) for my work.I want to format all 3 in FAT32.I am unable to do so.At present I am carrying on with my old 40GB HDD.I physically remived 80GB HDD.Pls advice.
TIA
Rajeev Chavan

sakumar79

Technomancer
According to *www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/addressing-the-lan.html the following IP ranges are for private LANs

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

use the second range for comp1 and comp2 (172.16.0.1 on comp1 and 172.16.0.2 on comp2) and it should not interfere with 192.168.x.x of the bband

Next, lets look at your HDD. (looking at your e for work comment, is it not annoying that if you type : and close the paranthesis the message converts it automatically into a smiley :( ).
First, IMHO, it is better to have one OS as it is less of a headache, and it is better to have WinXP (more stable) with NTFS (more organized). Note that NTFS partition can be read by Win98 over the LAN without problem... Also, 80+40 GB is nothing these days and before you know it you will be needing an extra hdd (i have only one OS at home, but still within 6 months of purchasing my comp, I had to buy an extra HDD)
Having said that, if you still wish to split the HDD into 3 FAT32 partitions, lets see what can be done... Is the HDD currently empty? Are you using Partition Magic? What error are you getting and at what stage are you getting it? How are you setting up the partitions (primary/extended/logical - i believe you should set up c as primary and d+e as extended, with e as logical, but this detail you can check with Partition Magic help file)...
According to MS website, "In theory, FAT32 volumes can be about 8 terabytes; however, the maximum FAT32 volume size that Windows XP Professional can format is 32 GB. Therefore, you must use NTFS to format volumes larger than 32 GB. However, Windows XP Professional can read and write to larger FAT32 volumes formatted by other operating systems." Could this be the cause eventhough your partition size is only 30 GB? Try 28/28/24 or 27/27/26 sizes...

Arun

OP
R

rajeevchavan

Broken In
Hi Arun
I am sorry for the smiley appearing inadvertently in my posting.I did not realise my mistake at the time of typing it.
Thanks for your suggestions and advice I will try them out and revert back to you.The same goes for HDD problem.
Thanks
Rajeev Chavan

OP
R

rajeevchavan

Broken In
Hi Arun
Sorry was busy yesterday and hence could not post.
I tried using 172.16.0.1 and 172.16.0.2 but still the same result .I can access from comp2 to comp1 but not from comp1 to comp2.I tried reinstalling the drivers also.Windows gave the msg that my existing driver was better than the one I was trying to install ( from the driver provided by manufacturer)
I have purchased a new HDD of 80GB.The service engineer had formatted it as 40:20:20 .I tried installing winXP and win98 but things got messed up.I then deleted partition using fdisk.I tried to create new partitions (FAT32) of 30:30:20 but fdsisk now showed only 10GB of HDD.I am not having partition magic.I want FAT32 on all 3 partitions and then install win98 and winXP.Could you please guide ?
TIA
Rajeev Chavan

sakumar79

Technomancer
There are other free partition management software such as Ranish at *www.ranish.com/part/ which you can use instead of fdisk...

What is the username you are using in Win98? Have you got the same user in WinXP? In Win98, during login, you should not press Esc or Cancel button as you would not be entering the Windows Network... Also, try enabling Guest account in WinXP... Finally, try disabling the bband lan card... We can eliminate it as the source of the problem in that way...

Arun

OP
R

rajeevchavan

Broken In
Hi Arun
I will try as suggested by you.
Since I am partioning the new HDD where shall I install Ranish ? Do I install it on other drive(40 GB) and then from there partition 80 GB or do I copy Ranish on CD and run it from there.Pls advice.
Thanks
Rajeev Chavan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom