Networking issue in my hostel !!

I'm a college student, living in hostel. College provides us internet facility through LAN(no WiFi). There is one main LAN distribution box in each hostel. From there the LAN is connected to distribution boxes in each floor of hostel. The problem is my hostel building has no distribution box, so we connected LAN wires to distribution box in nearby building with a 20m CAT 5 LAN wire.

The problem is, internet works fine in morning when number of people using net is low. At night, when almost everyone is connected to internet, our internet doesn't work, whereas it works for other people of the building in front of us.
For us it shows sometimes connected(but no internet connectivity) or limited. Also when i check for other computers connected to network, sometimes it shows just 3-4 , sometimes 60+. Network is not stable as we are not even able to play Call of Duty via LAN multiplayer(connection gets interrupted a lot while playing), with people of other rooms

So, what could the problem be ?? Can it be a problem of CAT 5 wire (due to long wire, losses ) ?

Note: In morning if we run Speedtest.net , we get DL speed of 35-40MBps, via download managers too we have seen 10MBps +

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
run ipconfig /all in command prompt when net is working & not working.compare the results.maybe due to excessive no. of connections box has not been able to give IP addresses or unable to handle extra load in night.max length for a cat5 cable segment is 100m.

TheHumanBot

Padawan
simple solution just go to your nearest lan box and remove other students cables and check your net if working or not keep doing until you get the connection :lol:

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
run ipconfig /all in command prompt when net is working & not working.compare the results.maybe due to excessive no. of connections box has not been able to give IP addresses or unable to handle extra load in night.max length for a cat5 cable segment is 100m.

IP is same even if status is connected or limited. Settings are set to detect IP & DNS automatically

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^how many approx. connections are trying to access net in night.suppose if you set your gateway as 192.168.1.1 & ip range as 192.168.1.2-255 in box then max ip addresses available are 253.if connections are more than this then conflict will occur resulting in limited connectivity.

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
^^how many approx. connections are trying to access net in night.suppose if you set your gateway as 192.168.1.1 & ip range as 192.168.1.2-255 in box then max ip addresses available are 253.if connections are more than this then conflict will occur resulting in limited connectivity.

There are two types of IP here 172.16.36.xx & 172.16.37.xx ............

In our hostel there are approx 600 students........

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
then i am guessing your box/setup is either running out of ip addresses to give(more likely scenario) or simply unable to handle extra load during night.for either situation you need better hardware.

mitraark

Decrepit
I am not sure of the exact cause but a possible reason may be that the one switch which is supposed to provide 24 machines (24 port switch) is now having 47 machines connected to it, it cannot handle the excess load.

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
I am not sure of the exact cause but a possible reason may be that the one switch which is supposed to provide 24 machines (24 port switch) is now having 47 machines connected to it, it cannot handle the excess load.

Ya, maybe but it works fine with other switches in other wings (in Hall 1) + I live in extension, connected wire to switch placed in front building, top floor

Top Bottom