Network Problem!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

valtea

In the zone
I’m currently working on a Project where I need the help of helping people here.

We have about 400 Clients who will be accessing our network. We have used 3 Linux servers, 1 for gateway, 2nd for a mail, web, dns, DHCP etc.., server and the third one is used for a proxy server. Our Lan is having private ips if 172.16.X.X class and all the clients are automatically assined a dynamic ip address by our DHCP server.

We used Cisco Switches for distribution.

99% of our clients uses windows (mostly win xp) and our network need to be in groups (something like sales dept., customer support etc..)., What we are planning is that we make Different Domains under Win2k3 servers and create Domain user accounts for our clients so that they can log in the network (domain) and use resources like printer etc… one of our problem lies here. Since our proxy server too is in the network under a Linux server any user in our network can connect to the proxy server and then to the internet. We want to disable this. If a user joins a domain then at least we can manage the access levels etc through the domain admin. Take for example if a printer is owned by sales domain then any client from other domain cannot take any printout from the printer and the user cannot just join any domain with out a proper access. This fixed some of our problem but still if a user does not login in the network domain he still has access to the mail server, chat server, proxy server… is there anyway I can simplify this setup so that I can group my users and then give them access to the network resources according to their login, and that no one should be able to bypass the login (unless they want to work outside the network. Another problem is that since this is a fairly large network many ppl are trying to play with it. Like someone knows the proxy server ip and then set the same ip in his machine and whenever the proxy server is rebooted the client takes the proxy server ip, and therby no one can access internet. It is impracticable to go and check each and every client to see who is using the ip that our proxy server uses. IS there anyway to know (at least from the MAC Address) the physical location of the client or the port no at which it connect to the switch (since we can telnet the cisco switch and disable any port).

Deep

Version 2.0
hmm this simple idea can do the job for you...

while delete all the local users on client machine...keep administrator password with you..

so this will force user to use their active directory login to access their machine / network..

that's it, they everything is under your hand..group policies can do the job :)

I hope I have cleared your query..

Deep

OP
V

valtea

In the zone
Thanks for your prompt reply Deep. it fixed to some extend. Just puuting them into my domain is not practicable in my senario, since many of them are very illetrate in computer field and that sometimes they need to use their machine locally (local login) and that in about 400 clients located in 5 buildings on an average at least 2-3 computers do a fresh installation of OS every week because they fiddle with it so much that they crash the whole system and if we have to do as you suggested then we have to go and setup the machines everytime they reinstall.

May use your recommendation if no other better options but i'm still waiting for something that will be better solution,.

Thanks alot Deep

Deep

Version 2.0
No probs, always welcome :) Let me know if you find any solution, I will also try to find the solution.

Regards
Deep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom