Netflix launches in India, HD Starts at 650/month (Same US pricing)

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
Try a month free on www.netflix.com

SD content - 500/month (1device)
HD content - 650/month (2 devices)
Ultra HD content - 800/month (4devices)

*i.imgur.com/4mY24pp.jpg

Terms and conditions:

Payments will be processed internationally, so foreign transaction fees may apply.
Your Netflix membership, which starts with a 1 month free offer, will begin when you click Start Membership. Simply cancel anytime in your first month, and you will not be charged. To cancel, go to "Your Account" and click on "Cancel membership." No refunds or credits for partial months. By clicking Start Membership, you authorize us to continue your month-to-month Netflix membership (currently Rs. 500) automatically, charged monthly to the payment method provided, until you cancel. High Definition (HD) and Ultra High Definition (Ultra HD) availability subject to your Internet service and device capabilities. Not all content available in HD or Ultra HD. See Terms of Use for more details.

Settings to be checked out first:

*i.imgur.com/KZnIe20.png

[h=1]Internet Connection Speed Recommendations[/h] Below are the Internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing movies and TV shows through Netflix.

• 0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
  • 1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
  • 3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
  • 5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
  • 25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

Last edited:

sygeek

Technomancer
I'd recommend everyone to use a VPN to get the US catalogue. Indian library is lackluster.

OP
swatkats

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
I Can understand why they kept out Orange is the new Black. But Even HOC and Breaking bad are missing. May be they will add later.

It takes time for Netflix to gain customer base in India based on the following criteria:

1. Indian ISP’s offering 5mbps unlimited broadband for reasonable pricing say Rs.800 or under 1k.
2. Same content availability in India like in US without censoring.

Netflix is reportedly serving data from Singapore node, If they can open DC in India and start Free peering with ISP's just like Google is doing for YouTube in India, Users may benefit high bandwidth.. That too without compromising Net Neutrality.

Gollum

Collector
I don't think this is going to gain progress in India due to lack of cheap high speed internet.

OP
swatkats

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
I don't think this is going to gain progress in India due to lack of cheap high speed internet.
They are partnering with Jio and Airtel. Could take 12-18 months more for them to gain acceptance amount masses in Tier 1 and Tier 2 cities.

Also cost isn't a big issue. Its coming down to 220/device on a HD plan and 200/device on Ultra HD plan.

Also their CEO is cool about it .

"We love people sharing Netflix," CEO Reed Hastings said Wednesday as he kicked off the Consumer Electronics Show here in Las Vegas. "That's a positive thing, not a negative thing."
Netflix is cool with you sharing your account - CNET

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
Netflix will not gain much foothold here because of two reasons.

A. Legitimate users: These people will suffer from lack of quality broadband, even if netflix bundles up with the likes of Reliance Jio etc not many customers will jump for Netflix alone. I have 1mbps UL at 850/- per month. 3mbps UL from my provider will cost me 2.5k per month, it'll cost around 1.8k from another provider here, something not many will be able to justify. So users like me will be locked out, and there's no way I can justify a 3G or 4g connection cost for netflix.

B. Pirates: They be laughing :D I was discussing netflix with one of my colleagues yesterday. This guy spent 5 years in USA, he used to pay for netflix there and didn't do piracy(fear of getting caught, guys like this will sell their own sons to get into USA if that was possible). Now he laughed at me when I mentioned about paying for netflix. Why pay when you have torrents? He will spend 1000/- per day watching Dilwale in a theater with popcorn but won't pay 650/- for a netflix connections. Its something we Indians take for granted, it'll be like if someone asked us to pay for urinating on the street.

OP
swatkats

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
I agree with your post.

- Copyright rules are completely Ignored here compared to what are enforced by US authorities. Unless It's some High Budget Indian Cinema piracy, No production company will even care.

- Despite having Fairly Good Broadband speeds, Say 3mbps after finishing up FUP i cannot stream 1080P content flawlessly. Frankly, I do not want to waste say 250 rupees on Netflix Just because i do not want to pause the streaming video waiting for it to complete.

I can watch HD content for a few days flawlessly of a calendar month but post that i cannot. After fup speeds needs to be bumped to at least 5mbps unlimited or else waste of money.

Again, It takes time may be a year or two for netflix to gain foothold. By then most of them would have at least 4-5mbps post fup for 1k in India.

rachitrt23

Broken In
If netflix comes up with special plans for it with reliance or any other operators. Will the geek community still be against it?

tkin

Back to school!!
If netflix comes up with special plans for it with reliance or any other operators. Will the geek community still be against it?
Yes, at least I will. A lot won't, its like corruption. Your question is akin to: will the protesters take bribe themselves?

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
I saw narcos yesterday, pretty nice experience.
I can see some people using this service. that's about it for now.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz

A. Legitimate users: These people will suffer from lack of quality broadband, even if netflix bundles up with the likes of Reliance Jio etc not many customers will jump for Netflix alone. I have 1mbps UL at 850/- per month. 3mbps UL from my provider will cost me 2.5k per month, it'll cost around 1.8k from another provider here, something not many will be able to justify. So users like me will be locked out, and there's no way I can justify a 3G or 4g connection cost for netflix.

B. Pirates: They be laughing :D I was discussing netflix with one of my colleagues yesterday. This guy spent 5 years in USA, he used to pay for netflix there and didn't do piracy(fear of getting caught, guys like this will sell their own sons to get into USA if that was possible). Now he laughed at me when I mentioned about paying for netflix. Why pay when you have torrents? He will spend 1000/- per day watching Dilwale in a theater with popcorn but won't pay 650/- for a netflix connections. Its something we Indians take for granted, it'll be like if someone asked us to pay for urinating on the street.
Add C. BSNL: Speed is so shitty on BSNL,even gif images buffers :p Forget streaming SD on Netflix :lol:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
if netflix has the local hindi, kannada tv shows, it will be a super hit with my mom.
i don't cross my 100gb fup limit any way. can upgrade to 200gb.

parents already love the color tv and star plus apps to stream.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Yes, at least I will. A lot won't, its like corruption. Your question is akin to: will the protesters take bribe themselves?

Hmm, Comcast did this with NetFlix once? Got clobbered with Net Neutrality Issues, am afraid since Indian Telecom Picture is muddy and those money hounds will take examples pretty quickly, they will likely destroy the whole thing by quickly jumping into the exploitable parts of internet being partially non-neutral.

​Comcast vs. Netflix: Is this really about Net neutrality? - CNET

The First two points hold strong. Specially the first one, any plan good for a >= 1mbps bw, categorically defines one's monthly streaming entertainment cost >= 1500. Not good for Indians.

Top Bottom