Netflix launches in India, HD Starts at 650/month (Same US pricing)

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
if netflix has the local hindi, kannada tv shows, it will be a super hit with my mom.
i don't cross my 100gb fup limit any way. can upgrade to 200gb.

parents already love the color tv and star plus apps to stream.

its actually a very interesting point, the amount of TV serials Indian Moms and Housewives stream everyday in cable media is great. Not only great its fking HUGE, some often watch the repeat telecasts to no apparent reason. Point? preload Netflix with a shiteload of regional mega serials, ditch cable TV, use that subscription money to pay for netflix.

OP
swatkats

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
For Indian soap operas you have services like Hotstar. Why do you need Netflix.

The last Desi thing I want to watch on Netflix would be CID. :D Paata laago daya!

Kaltrops

In the zone
I will stick to my US subscription because India's censorship is full of ****. And I only pay Rs530 for HD, so it's cheaper at the moment.

I also watch everything in 1080p on my 50Mbps Hathway broadband.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
can we login to indian netflix from us netflix ID.. if so, there are plenty of premium accounts you can get from ehm ehm sources

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Well: Netflix is violating RBI’s two-factor authentication and forex rules for payments - MediaNama

sygeek

Technomancer
Well: Netflix is violating RBI’s two-factor authentication and forex rules for payments - MediaNama
That is absolute horsesh!t and a clickbait title. I regularly use steam without a 2 factor verification on hdfc debit card. There's also an option to enable international usage in HDFC's site. Infact, if you read reddit, most of the cards are not working with netflix for this very reason.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
That is absolute horsesh!t and a clickbait title. I regularly use steam without a 2 factor verification on hdfc debit card. There's also an option to enable international usage in HDFC's site. Infact, if you read reddit, most of the cards are not working with netflix for this very reason.

There are many services that don't follow that. Steam for example. But Steam still does not have a presence in India. Netflix now does so they should comply in RBI guidelines.

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
FYI, use Netflix Brazil to signup Basic Pack costs only ₹330(R$19.9),standard - ₹378(R$22.9),Premium - ₹494(R$29.99)

TIP: You can share the Premium pack with 4 persons so the premium costs only ₹123.5(per person) which is equal/lower to the price of cable tv in India

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I misread that.

What I meant was that they don't have an office here unlike Netflix who just opened an office in Mumbai.

Kaltrops

In the zone
I misread that.

What I meant was that they don't have an office here unlike Netflix who just opened an office in Mumbai.
Ahh, physical presence. I see. I thought you meant a virtual one.

I honestly don't see the point of opening an office in Mumbai. Unless they plan on putting up servers here?

Kaltrops

In the zone
I'd recommend everyone to use a VPN to get the US catalogue. Indian library is lackluster.

I would not recommend that. A VPN would slow down your speed considerably. A VPN isn't even required. You simply change the DNS and you're done. No effect on speed.

OP
swatkats

swatkats

The TroubleShooter!
My plan 40mbps .. Consumes 6Mbps speed. Yet 480p ish quality.
*i.imgur.com/6X8711l.jpg
*i.imgur.com/LfAw0F2.jpg

However, Vimeo's FULL HD video:

*i.imgur.com/4uUaof2.jpg

Definitely even worth 200/month.

tkin

Back to school!!
Youtube has good optimization here, I can stream 480p easy with 1mbps. At night with 6mbps I can stream 1080p.

My local operator is upgrading me to Hathway, 10mbps. Maybe I'll look into netflix then.

Top Bottom