Need Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddy_in65

Journeyman
I am using vista laptop and i want to install ubuntu 7.10. I am new to linux and desire to learn about linux. Please guide me. My laptop has 160gb HDD. it has 4 drive C, D, E, F. Please explain how to install ubuntu. Is there any problem installing linux on vista. Please tell me on which drive should i install ubuntu. I heard that while using ubuntu i cant access data on c drive which has vista installed. Also i have one querry, my laptop is compaq and it has 1 year warranty, if i installed ubuntu and in future if there is a problem with laptop, does compaq repairs it within warranty.
Please help me. Thanks in advance.:)

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Installing any other OS other than what u get when u buy is against the T.O.S and the warranty may get void

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^dde you better get somebody else more experienced to install for you.

No you can't install ubuntu on NTFS FS,and neither on fat32 for that matter.

praka123

left this forum longback
..although there are small distros there which can be installed on vfat partitions.ur warranty will be void may be!

F

FilledVoid

I am using vista laptop and i want to install ubuntu 7.10. I am new to linux and desire to learn about linux. Please guide me. My laptop has 160gb HDD. it has 4 drive C, D, E, F. Please explain how to install ubuntu. Is there any problem installing linux on vista. Please tell me on which drive should i install ubuntu. I heard that while using ubuntu i cant access data on c drive which has vista installed.

This should help you *apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_boot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first

Also i have one query, my laptop is Compaq and it has 1 year warranty, if i installed Ubuntu and in future if there is a problem with laptop, does Compaq repairs it within warranty.

I seriously don't understand how a laptop warranty could be voided if someone installs Linux on a laptop. However considering the lame tech most companies offer I wouldn't be amazed if they refused to help you or voided the warranty

OP
maddy_in65

maddy_in65

Journeyman
I am still waiting for ur replies, i need to install it. Please help me.
As mentioned above i have 3 partition, how should i install ubuntu on NTFS partition. Please help me.:-(

maddy_in65 said:
I am still waiting for ur replies, i need to install it. Please help me.
As mentioned above i have 3 partition, how should i install ubuntu on NTFS partition. Please help me.:-(
From Ubuntu's installation CD, delete the NTFS partition. Make one GB from it as a swap partition, and the rest as EXT3 partition. Congratulations, you can now install ubuntu.

OP
maddy_in65

maddy_in65

Journeyman
Today i have contacted HP tech support, they adivsed not to install ubuntu as warranty may be voided. Agent was not ready to help regarding this.:mad:

How come HP support told it may void warranty? I thought HP was pro Linux till now...
Please confirm from their website or send them an email for clarification.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Hello maddy_in65,
First about your warranty issue

No the warranty will not get void but you will not get support on another OS apart from bundled one with your Laptop from HP. for Linux support you have to depend on the web based support channels(refer: How to Get Help)

HP will not assist you if you can play MP3's in linux, but your hardware support will be as it is. like if your Cd drive went out of order then they will change it..

so you can say apart from Linux related queries, you will get support on all other things.

Now Install Ubuntu, well installing Ubuntu is easy,
Check this Video Tutorial

Ubuntu WIKI page said:
How to ask for help​

If none of these resources led you to a solution, take a moment to formulate your question before asking for help. This is important! If your question is unclear you are less likely to receive answers. If someone does reply they may need to ask for more information in order to help you. This process requires time and effort on both parts which could otherwise be avoided.

Here are some simple ideas which will help you to ask your question effectively:

• Describe your problem clearly and precisely. Explain what you did, and what you saw when you did it.

• If you have received an error message, reproduce it exactly as it is shown on the screen, for example via cut-and-paste or a screenshot.

• Whenever possible, provide a step-by-step procedure which would allow anyone to see the problem for themselves. Given this information, most bugs are much easier for developers to isolate.
  • Avoid making assumptions about what the problem might be, since this may greatly confuse the issue if you are mistaken.

• Don't ask whether it is OK to ask a question. Go ahead and ask! One question is better than two.

Along the same lines, don't ask whether someone will help you. If someone is willing to help you, they will respond to your question when you ask it.

also your Questions were not clear, so please read the above^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom