need to upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandeeprao

Broken In
guys i have a 1.7ghz p4 :-(.and 128mb sdram.and some crappy mobo and a Gf4 mx 420.i want to upgrade to a mobo which can support ddr ram and i would like to buy 512mb 333 or 266 mhz ram.so what mobo and ram would u suggest for 6k??(a guy is selling d-link mobo(not sure abt model number) for 2100rs. is it good??) :roll:

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
@sandeeprao
1st of all forget bout that d-link mobo.well u can go for a 865 chipset or may if u can get from some where then eva u can go for 875 mobo both of them r really gud.there r loads of ram companies.corsair,kingston r the best but expensive,so u betta go for zion gud and cheap and instead of 266 or 333mhz ram go for 400mhz ram its a one time investment.and i hope this will fit into ur budget.as 875 moboz r not easily available but u mite get it in rashi peripherals ASUS P4C 800-E DLX but it dun hav any onbroad vga.or else u can go for ASUS P4P800-VM OR ASUS P4P800-MX 865 CHIPSET.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
Get the following ,

Asus P4P-800-VM board - around 3500/-

Kingston 512 MB (256*2) DDR 400 MHZ - around 3500/-
Use the RAM in Dual Channel Mode

Total = 7,000/-

This will be a very good upgrade and u will be happy i bet.

OP
S

sandeeprao

Broken In
thnks guys,
i need to upgrade to play gta sanandreas and other games.
i have a video card so i wont need any on board vga card.
and what exactly is the diffrence between 400mhz ram and 333mhz ram.?
is the price diffrence between the two worth the performance?

mohit

The Hardware Labs
400 Mhz is faster and better and the price diff is almost neglible between the two speeds (around 200-300 bucks) and beleive me its worth it. having a faster better ram never makes u feel sorry for spending the xtra cash. go for 400 mhz ram. u will get zion 256 mb ddr 400 for around 1200/- bucks with 3 years warranty. buy 2 of these modules and run them in dual channel on ur new mobo.

and as u have a grafix card then i suggest u go for the asus p4c 800-e deluxe board (intel 875p chipset) . this will be even better for u.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
The diff between 400MHz and 333MHz RAM is exactly as the term indicates. The former is 20% faster than the latter. Overall system performance will be slightly better with 400MHz memory but not by 20%.

The difference in price is very small, so it's well worth going for the faster memory.

One point of clarification : these RAMs do not actually run at 400 and 333MHz. The basic clock frequencies are half of these figures, i.e., 200MHz and 166MHz respectively. However, DDR (Double Data Rate)RAMs process data twice in each clock cycle, so that they do their stuff at twice the basic clock speed. The proper term is DDR400 and DDR333. They are also called PC3200 and PC2700 RAMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom