Need to know about Wifi access point

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanu2k7

Livin my Dreams
Hi all!!
I bought a MICRONET SP918GK Access Point
*www.micronet.info/model_detail.aspx?series_no=6&sno=131
to share and play games with my friends in my building and i told him to buy a USB WiFi Lan Adapter or a PCI WLAN Card but he bought a Linksys Broadband router with access point WRT54G
*www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?...ommon/VisitorWrapper&lid=0770839789B01#widget

now i need to know how can we share folders an play LAN games with each other and how.

Also I need to know that i have a antenna and i don't know how much range it covers, so please anyone can tell me the range it covers by seeing its pic below

Front View
*img218.imageshack.us/img218/6112/img622wj4.th.jpg

Side View
*img218.imageshack.us/img218/703/img621tx3.th.jpg

Will be very much thankful!!!!!

arun77574

Broken In
I'm not really good at networking but, i know something.

Now u've got a switch and a router. You should connect your PC's with the switch and the switch to the router. Then configure your router i.e., give it an ip address and enable its ports. Then configure the switch by giving it an ip and thats it.

Important: The ip address of switch and the computers should be in the same class. Say, if switch has an ip like 10.0.0.1 then PC1 should be 10.0.0.2 and PC2 should be 10.0.0.3 and so on.

Your router should be connected to the internet and could have anything dynamic or static ip. Static ip is preffered if u wish to configure the router bcos u need to know the ip.

A PC's default gateway will be the ip of the switch its connected to. This is all i can tell you, its been a very long time after my n/w classes are over and i'm not in touch with it now.

I suggest you install Boson Netsim software and work out on router configurations. Its an virtual network simulator, an educational tool. Or Better ask someone whose really in touch with this field and could help you.

OP
kanu2k7

kanu2k7

Livin my Dreams
I'm not really good at networking but, i know something.

Now u've got a switch and a router. You should connect your PC's with the switch and the switch to the router. Then configure your router i.e., give it an ip address and enable its ports. Then configure the switch by giving it an ip and thats it.

Bro one thing is that I know that i have to connect my access point with the linksys broadband router but i have to connect it wireless thats what i am asking everything else is done from IP to Security. and also can i connect more than 2 Access point wireless. Plz answer!!!!!!!!

NucleusKore

TheSaint
You should contact batistabomb here
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77618

I know you can connect two wifi cards, but two WAPs?? Really do not know.

arun77574

Broken In
I'm sorry., i did not have a chance to work with them practically. So don't know about connecting the access point to wireless router. But ofcourse i know how its done with wired stuff.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
wat do u wanna do?
just play multiplayer games with ur frnd only or connect to the internet and play on the net.
if u just wanna connect 2 pc's (i.e ur frnds and urs) then u wont need the router.
buying 2 pci wlan cards wud hav done the job (by making an adoc connection).
this is how i connect my main rig, lappy and my N95 8GB.
but if u wanna connect more than 2 pcs then u'll need to setup an access point (adhoc mode would also do but has a limit ot max no. of clients).
first tell me exactly wat u wanna do.

OP
kanu2k7

kanu2k7

Livin my Dreams
wat do u wanna do?
just play multiplayer games with ur frnd only or connect to the internet and play on the net.
if u just wanna connect 2 pc's (i.e ur frnds and urs) then u wont need the router.
buying 2 pci wlan cards wud hav done the job (by making an adoc connection).
this is how i connect my main rig, lappy and my N95 8GB.
but if u wanna connect more than 2 pcs then u'll need to setup an access point (adhoc mode would also do but has a limit ot max no. of clients).
first tell me exactly wat u wanna do.

Well my thanks for ur concern!
actually i have a an access point with me and i told my friend get a WiFi Lan card but he actually bought another Linksys access point. Now i wanna connect to my friend so that we can share files and play LAN Multiplayer game. There is an option for a bridge mode which says point to multipoint bridging . I wanna know that how to use that option his access also have the same option . actually when i select this option it shows many mac ip to enter i dont know whose macip to enter. please see?

SS

Access point with option of joining 2 access points with each other

*img508.imageshack.us/img508/5889/ac2ts6.th.jpg

Access point with option of joining mare than 2 access points

*img508.imageshack.us/img508/9899/ac1xv7.th.jpg

This is an another option in that menu

*img508.imageshack.us/img508/3295/ac3wx1.th.jpg

Now tel waht to fill in what and how can this search the other access point?

This is the user guide of my access point
*rapidshare.com/files/92109570/SP918GKV4_Manual.pdf

Last edited:

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
configure ur WiFi in access point mode.(see page 14).and configure ur frnds to the station infrastructure mode.(page 16).remember to put the same ESSID in both pc.
r both of u using the same os?

OP
kanu2k7

kanu2k7

Livin my Dreams
THANKS i think it would work but wanna ask you one thing with this mode can i connect with more than 2 access points with this mode.
In that option of station infrastructure it also shows a field of BSSID, what should i enter in that or should i leave it with default values viz, '00000000'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom