Need to connect PC and laptop, and share internet conenction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I want to set up Networking b/w my PC and laptop for file transfer, learning networking, as well as sharing the internet connection. Another important purpose is to learn networking.

The PC is connected to internet as follows:

Line->Router->Ethernet Wire->Ethernet Port->PC.

Currently whenever I have to connect laptop to internet I have to disconnect the ethernet wire, and connect to laptop (lame) and to share files I am forced to use Pen Drives. (even lamer).

So in all my needs are:
(1) The PC and laptop should be network for file transfer, and learning networking.
(2) The internet should be shared by the laptop and PC. However this should be possible with either of them switched off.

Some Info:
(1) My PC has two ethernet ports.
(2) Laptop has one ethernet port.
(3) Laptop has WiFi.

I have tried and failed with a Crossover wire (dunno why, maybe it was defective) but I found it cumbersome anyway. So should I buy a switch or a router or a wireless router?
And please suggest a good one? If I can get good wireless router, without burning a hole in my pocket, that will be great. However I should NOT be restricted with a wireless connectivity only with the wireless router. The computer should be able to be connected with LAN cables as well when required.

I USE LINUX by the way, so compatibility with Linux is a MUST (though AFAIK routers and switches don't depend on OS drivers and all right?)

I am a n00b in networking so please help.

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
This topic has been discussed several times recently.

Personally, I prefer a wired network as it's more reliable. The idea is to connect the output of the router/modem and the computers to a switch. You have to use straight-through cables, not a crossover cable, to link your computers via a switch.

There are some switches that can automatically set themselves to accept either a straight-through or a crossover cable, but not all switches can. So it's safer to use straight-through cables.

Generally, you have to set the modem to "Always On" mode.

Although it sometimes works well with automatic IP settings, it's better to assign different fixed IP addresses to each computer and a default gateway address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom