Need to buy External Hard disk

abhisubscribe

Broken In
Hi Folks,

I want to purchase 500 GB external hard disk and my budget is 3-4K. It should be 7200 RPM and a very good transfer rate. Please suggest me.

Thanks in advance

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
For a budget of 3-4K u can easily get a 1TB (USB 2.0) hdd, here are the options...

1.) Seagate Free Agent GoFlex (1TB) 3.5" External HDD -----> Rs. 3.5K

2.) Western Digital My Book Essentials (1TB) External HDD ----> Rs. 3.6K

Both of these HDDs, DO NOT need an external power adapter, :)

Cheers n e-peace....

OP
A

abhisubscribe

Broken In
Thanks ashu... what will be the price of USB 3.0 support EXTERNAL HD, I want to buy the WD hard disk, it should be portable. I heard that 1 TB HD are not responding well, is that true?

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hi Abhi.. :)

Well its just a myth, dont worry, all 1TB HDDs work gr8, I Myself hv a 1TB (eSATA+USB 2.0) ----> Seagate BlackArmor WS 110 HDD and it works gr8 Dude.. :)

Well afaik, Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex HDD (1TB and Above) come with a USB 2.0 but also hv an option of a Docking Stand for a USB 3.0 connectivity option (TO be purchased separately wich costs hmm.. i guess 3-4K) NOT worth buying it jus for that Docking Station (Stand)....

So, if DONT mind the USB2.0 connectivity and want a really light and Portable option than opt for a WD MyBookEssential HDD or a Seagate F.A GoFlex 3.5" HDD :)

(if u are concerned abt the life and working) Then buy the one wich provied better and longer warranty support :)

----------------------------
CHeers n e-peace....

OP
A

abhisubscribe

Broken In
Ashu, i will go for " WD MyBookEssential HDD ". I want to present this to my friend on his b'day on 08th of April. Thank you very much for guiding me. (*_*)

PraKs

Youngling
N00b Q,

If a person takes Seagate HD with dock supporting USB 3.0, Do you also need laptop with USB 3.0 port ?

I hardly see laptops with USB 3.0 support, Why do people take USB 3.0 dock HDD ?

sashijoseph

In the zone
2.) Western Digital My Book Essentials (1TB) External HDD ----> Rs. 3.6K

Both of these HDDs, DO NOT need an external power adapter,

the Mybook Essential does need an external power adapter.
Moreover it uses a bridge chip which does on-the-fly encryption in hardware.What it means is that if your mybook goes kaput someday,you will not be able to pull out the hdd from the casing and hook it to your pc and copy your data.The hdd will work only inside the casing(unless you are ready to wipe out all your data).
Better avoid any external drive which does hardware encryption without giving you an option.

Top Bottom